One Identity Manager Review

The web front-end needs improvement, but it is very helpful for managing the Joiner/Mover/Leaver process

What is our primary use case?

We want to bring our on-premise systems under our control, then our cloud solutions under our control.

How has it helped my organization?

With this product, we been able to bring together HR, IT, and lifecycle management. It is very helpful for managing the Joiner/Mover/Leaver process. We also use it for compliance on all the audits which are around.

We have integrated the solution with SAP, which has governance. We need to manage the Visual Administrator and One Identity Manager. The integration is pretty straightforward. There were some bugs with version 6 which are being removed with version 8, which is good. The platform is progressing. Though, some parts of SAP are not covered yet, like GRC.

What is most valuable?

The tool is like a big Lego in which you can use the parts that make sense for your organization.

It has several components out-of-the-box.

The solution is flexible, in general. You can define the parts of the solution that you want to use, and it won't affect the price.

What needs improvement?

I would like the sync editor to be able to change labels because currently our concurrent development cannot work on this.

Self-service is important for our end users. However, after three years, people continue calling the help desk, and the help desk is using this solution to make its requests.

The web front-end definitely needs improvement.

Three to five years.

Once the solution is configured, the stability is good.

We are an organization with 10,000 employees. This means 100,000 accounts or an account in group tables or approximately one million. We are not really big. It works okay for us as long as we fine tune some parts in the web design.

The technical support is non-existent. It is not worth talking about.

We used a homemade solution, which was AD-based. It was a layer on top of AD with Java and Oracle Database in the background, but we had to move to something that can also manage could cloud, which was why we switched.

If you have consultants who do not know the solution nor the target systems, the initial setup is hard. It is my impression that if you are some very huge organization. One Identity will send the best people. If you are unimportant, then you get people who are seeing this application for the first time. This is the only way that I can explain what happen to us in the past.

We used someone at first, who was definitely not good. Then, we used Deloitte France, who was also not good. Then, we use Deloitte Germany, and the solution finally worked. That was three attempts. It was really hard to find good people.

On deprovisioning, when somebody leaves the organization, it allows us to better cut access to everything that they had.

The finalists were SailPoint IdentityIQ and One Identity. The reason that we chose One Identity was due to the logic of the connectors that they have. From those, we understood that this solution contained expertise on target systems.

What other advice do I have?

If you want real-time management, it can be done within three to five working days with this product. That is how we do things today, so we have a process in place and do it with internal resources.

Bring your processors in under your control. Define what you want and when it works in Excel, then you are ready to buy the solution. It doesn't really matter which solution you would buy, as long as you have things under control.

The policy and role management features are very powerful, but it is hard to make the organization use them in the proper way.

We have not implemented the privileged account governance features.

From the back-end perspective (provisioning engine), I would give it a nine out of ten. However, from the web front-end, I would give it a five out of ten.