Symantec Messaging Gateway Review

Good encryption, excellent at blocking spam, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution to encrypt outgoing emails to the recipient. That is why I bought the solution from Symantec Messaging Gateway.

What is most valuable?

The encryption screen messages are very good. No one can hack the emails.

The solution is excellent at blocking spam.

What needs improvement?

Recently, I've had some problems regarding their support. The tech was acquired by Broadcom. Since then, the support part is very bad right. They really need to improve this aspect.

They have updated the version of the Messaging Gateway and the new features they are adding the need to be re-evaluated. They have done some changes on the policy.

We've been using the solution for two years.

I've noticed lately that the solution can be buggy.

I have observed a few updates that have bugs. Right now, the solution is not updated due to some bugs that are coming from the updates. Currently, the company will not pay for the box from the software. That's why virtual appliances are not updating.

We've been in touch with technical support and we find that, since the Broadcom takeover, the support is lacking. They're very bad and not helpful at all. We've found that the support team is not able to provide full service to us any longer. When they were just Symantec, before the acquisition, they were quite good.

I also use McAfee, however, McAfee not working at 100%. Symantec has gone back to 99.9%. Everyone says "our product is at 100%", however, it is not possible. That's due to the fact that everyday hackers are busy finding new ways to breach security.

I like both solutions. I've used them both for the last few years.

The initial setup is pretty straight forward, however, you need to get the policies right. That part is complex. You need some guidance from support teams, or you need to read some articles or admin guides that can be found on Google.

Deployment took about 30 minutes.

I handle the maintenance on my own. It doesn't require a lot of personnel to manage it.

We used an integrator to assist us with the implementation. They were very helpful and we were satisfied with their level of knowledge.

What other advice do I have?

We're Symantec customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

The deployment of the solution is just virtual. We have acquired virtual appliances and we have projects ongoing on the machines.

The product itself is quite good, however, Broadcom needs to step up its support.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

More Symantec Messaging Gateway reviews from users