Symantec Messaging Gateway Overview

Symantec Messaging Gateway is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Email Security tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Exchange Online Protection: Symantec Messaging Gateway vs Microsoft Exchange Online Protection

What is Symantec Messaging Gateway?

Symantec’s on-premises email security solution begins with Messaging Gateway which provides essential inbound and outbound messaging security including, powerful protection against the latest messaging threats including ransomware, spear phishing, and business email compromise, It catches more than
99 percent of spam with a less than 1 in 1 million false positives, and effectively responds to new messaging threats with real-time automatic antispam and antimalware updates. Messaging Gateway combines multilayer protection technologies that effectively detect, block, and quarantine suspicious email

Symantec Messaging Gateway is also known as Symantec.cloud, Symantec Email Security.cloud .

Symantec Messaging Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Symantec Messaging Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Symantec Messaging Gateway Customers

Doric, Joblink Plus, Our Lady of Mercy College, Parramatta, PPB Advisory, Slater & Gordon Lawyers, Sydney Adventist Hospital Ltd.

Symantec Messaging Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Symantec Messaging Gateway pricing:
  • "A subscription for technical support costs extra."
  • "It's a bit expensive compared to its competitor Barracuda Email Security Gateway but cheaper than Sophos Email."

Information Technology/ Cyber Security and Data Privacy Consultant at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
MSP
Good fingerprinting and keyword rules, but it needs to better support unstructured data discovery

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting company and this is one of the solutions that we have implemented for our clients. One of our clients is in the automobile industry and we implemented the entire suite that consisted of email security, network traffic security, and end-user security including the setting of permissions and restrictions. We were managing then entire security landscape for more than 100,000 users.

• "The feature that I like the best is the fingerprinting concept."
  • "It will provide Excel reports and PDF reports, but it would be great if they supported the concept of Crystal Reports."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution, but ultimately I would like to see OCR capabilities, mail classification, and unstructured data discovery. If Symantec could incorporate all of this in the DLP solution then I believe it would be the leading product in the DLP market. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Sr. IT Manager at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
Simple to use, great at blocking spam and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it as an email gateway for security. We use it for blocking spam.

• "The setup is pretty simple."
  • "In a later release, it would be nice if the messaging gateway supported the cluster feature."

What other advice do I have?

We're just an end-user and customer. We don't have a special business relationship with the company. I have the solution running on my virtual machine. The solution is a really good product as far as email security is concerned. I'd recommend the solution. Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Symantec Messaging Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RS
Senior System Administrator at Pulsar Knowledge Centre Pvt. Ltd.
Good encryption, excellent at blocking spam, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution to encrypt outgoing emails to the recipient. That is why I bought the solution from Symantec Messaging Gateway.

• "The solution is excellent at blocking spam."
  • "They have updated the version of the Messaging Gateway and the new features they are adding the need to be re-evaluated. They have done some changes on the policy."

What other advice do I have?

We're Symantec customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company. The deployment of the solution is just virtual. We have acquired virtual appliances and we have projects ongoing on the machines. The product itself is quite good, however, Broadcom needs to step up its support. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Deputy Manager IT at Carl Bechem Lubricants India Pvt Ltd
User-friendly, easy to set up, and the malware database is extensive

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is the protection of email. We are linked to Microsoft Office 365 and all of our emails, inbound or outbound, are processed through Symantec.

• "The cloud-based interface is very user-friendly."
  • "This product would benefit from better integration with Symantec Endpoint Protection."

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend using the Symantec Messaging Gateway. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
JM
IT Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
A stable on-premise email security solution that's easy to manage, but support could be better

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a perimeter gateway where it scans for spam. We use all the features and configure all the features, like malware and content filtering. But most of the requests come for content filtering, where we need filters based on some specific words or subjects or based on the reports that come from government agencies.

• "I like that it's simple and easy to configure, deploy, and manage. The reporting function has all the features we're looking for, and we are fine with that."
  • "What's lacking when you compare it with Proofpoint and other threat protection solutions is that it does the basic stuff, but we need more advanced threat handling."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would tell potential users that it's simple and easy to configure, deploy, and manage. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Symantec Messaging Gateway a seven.
Technical Consultant & Programme Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Solid and stable product, great support, highly scalable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for its advanced virus protection, phishing and other features.

I have been using the solution for 1 year now.

It is a solid and stable product.

It is a scalable product. We have deployed it for organizations with 200-5000 users.

The support is really great.

I have used Sophos Email other than Symantec Messaging Gateway.

The setup is pretty much straight forward.

We did the deployment of the product…
Product Categories
Email Security
Download our free Symantec Messaging Gateway Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.