Symantec Messaging Gateway Review

Simple to use, great at blocking spam and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it as an email gateway for security. We use it for blocking spam.

How has it helped my organization?

Protect us form spam & virus emails' attack.

What is most valuable?

The solution overall is quite good.

The solution is a leader in anti-spam email products.

The performance is great. You can block 99% of spam emails. It's very effective.

The solution runs quite well.

The setup is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

The issue with the solution has more to do with China than the product itself. Since it was purchased by Broadcomm, we've found there's been a general slide in terms of the local services we have access to and we are considering replacing them.

In a later release, it would be nice if the messaging gateway supported the cluster feature. We'd really like clustering as an option.

If you have installed the two messaging gateways, you cannot use the high-availability features of the two products. There needs to be higher availability. Other products provide a cluster feature, however, Symantec for the most part does not offer this.

I've been using the solution for about ten years now. It's been a decade.

The solution is very stable. We don't have issues with glitches and there aren't really any bugs. I've never experienced it crash or fail. It's reliable.

We haven't needed to scale it, so I can't speak to the solution's level of scalability. It's not something we've attempted to do.

We have about 80 people in our organization using the product.

I haven't opened a ticket from the technical support for a long time. We haven't really needed the support from assistance, to be honest. I can't really speak to their level of service at this time.

It was ten years ago, and I was at a different organization, however, I do recall that we used Fortigate at that time.

I also currently use Symantec's Mail Security for Exchange. I use that for my emails alongside the Messaging Gateway.

The initial setup isn't complex. It's quite straightforward. I find it quite simple, as I have a decade of experience using it under my belt.

Deployment to my virtual machine only took about 30 minutes.

I hand over the maintenance to another team.

I handled the deployment myself. I have a wealth of experience with the product. I don't feed outside help from consultants or integrators.

If you would like to enable Symantec's Content Encryption, it's considered an extra feature. You need to buy it separately. I personally just have the anti-spam, antivirus and Premium Content Controller. These features are at no additional cost. New users just need to be aware that certain premium features will need to be purchased.

What other advice do I have?

We're just an end-user and customer. We don't have a special business relationship with the company.

I have the solution running on my virtual machine.

The solution is a really good product as far as email security is concerned.

I'd recommend the solution.

Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

More Symantec Messaging Gateway reviews from users