TeamViewer Review

One of the easiest solutions to pick up: easy to use, deploy, and adopt

What is our primary use case?

We're using TeamViewer at the college to be able to remote in. My boss and I are the two main users. We've used it to remote into our desktops so we can monitor the HVAC program at the college, access control, etc. Plus, if we need to grab files, or something, off of our personal computers at work, we can.

My boss and I both have TeamVeamer installed on PCs at the campus. We have the app on our mobile phones. I have it on my personal laptop at home along with my tablet at home.

We remote into PCs at the campus, and one of those PCs is used as a server.

We are using the latest version. We are using TeamViewer 15. I think we started on version 13.

How has it helped my organization?

When I'm offsite and there is an HVAC problem, I can remote in and check out what's going on from anywhere. I don't have to be at the college to do it. It saves me driving time and the hassle of having to leave from wherever I'm at. I have actually accessed it while being on vacation and was several hundred miles away from the college.

What is most valuable?

• It's easy to remote in.
  • It is reliable and stable. The program is not constantly interrupting, dropping, or hanging up.
  • It has been very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, the app can be a little cumbersome when accessing certain aspects of the program. I don't know if that's a TeamViewer thing or the application I'm trying to use on the actual PC.

As far as the connection, there has been no issues with the connection. It's just once I'm in the app and using it, I haven't been able to decide if I can do all functions with the app, like I can if I'm sitting actually at the computer. I don't know if that's a TeamViewer thing or a computer issue. I'm still on a Windows 7 based, six-year computer which is due for an upgrade. It's a minor issue, and some of the minor issues I have may go away once my desktop computer at work is upgraded.

Approximately six months.

I am very happy with the solution's stability.

So far, we have had no issues with security's success because you need to know the passwords and machine IDs in order to get into the system. TeamViewer identifies each device with a unique identifier, then each device has a separate password. Once you have closed TeamViewer, the password will change periodically. It's not a constant password.

Most of the stuff resides between my computer and my boss's computer. My boss is the director of facilities and I'm the maintenance supervisor.

Eventually, when we're done (hopefully not soon after the first of the year), we're going to be able to go to every building on campus and deploy what we need to look at. That way we don't have to worry about whether we have lost a phone signal, the wireless on campus is working right, etc. Eventually, we'll have a machine on campus that we can just go to and access what we need.

We called the support only one time. That was just to make sure we were doing something right, and we were.

On a scale of one to 10, with 10 being the highest, the technical support was easily a 10. This is based on their responsiveness and helpfulness. We were on hold with them for just a couple of minutes, then the technician that we talked to was very helpful. We didn't have to go back and forth, checking on him a bunch. He was able to answer all our questions. He called my boss back the next day to make sure there were not other issues and everything was working.

LogMeIn and ShareConnect were the only two solutions that we have previously used. Then, somebody told us about TeamViewer. We looked at it. We did a trial run with TeamViewer. We liked it, so we started engaging with them about the cost and everything else.

The initial setup was very straightforward. You go to TeamViewer or the link that they send you. You click on the link to download and install all the information right off the Internet. It's fairly self-explanatory.

My boss and I set up all four of our devices, the mobile app on both our phones and both our computers, in less than five minutes.

We had a webinar with TeamViewer to go over some basic, simple things. We only needed 15 to 20 minutes. It was pretty much understanding the basics.

If we had any other questions, we could call in. I haven't personally had any issues where I've had to call support.

Over the past six months, we have probably saved several thousand dollars just in the cost of either my boss or me having to go up there. We can make sure stuff is turned off and on where somebody might have left something on or off, saving on the utility cost for the college.

TeamViewer was willing to give us a one-year package. Whereas, a lot of the other companies that we explored were paid by the month or quarter. It's just easier for our finance people at the college if we can make a one-time yearly payment.

TeamViewer has multiple licensing options.

The price was cheaper than what we were previously paying. At the time that we went with TeamViewer, we were using ShareConnect. The TeamViewer package was about half the cost and able to have a bigger number of users.

The remote connection process has been one of the easiest of all the different programs that we have used. We have used LogMeIn and ShareConnect. There was another one back in the very early days. This solution has been the easiest process to connect into. Comparatively, TeamViewer is much easier to deploy, easier to use, and adopt than LogMeIn or ShareConnect.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is definitely a 10 (out of a 10). TeamViewer has been one of the easiest, right off the bat products, that we have employed at the college. We have had no issues. It's been one of the easiest solutions to pick up.