SAP Signavio Process Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP Signavio Process Manager is the #2 ranked solution in our list of Business Process Design tools. It is most often compared to Celonis: SAP Signavio Process Manager vs Celonis

What is SAP Signavio Process Manager?

The Signavio portfolio of web-based business transformation solutions helps companies to understand and optimize all of their business processes quickly and at scale, providing instant insights for informed decision-making. Signavio’s intuitive analysis, change management and execution solutions around process excellence include use cases like digital transformation, operational excellence and customer-centricity, placing them at the heart of global organizations.

Over 1 million users in more than 1,500 organizations worldwide rely on Signavio products to make processes part of their company’s DNA. Headquartered in Berlin, Germany, Signavio was founded in 2009 to address the need for a collaborative approach to process management.

Signavio was acquired by SAP in the first quarter of 2021. For more information, visit www.signavio.com

SAP Signavio Process Manager is also known as Signavio Process Editor.

SAP Signavio Process Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the SAP Signavio Process Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

SAP Signavio Process Manager Customers

DHL, Coca Cola EP, Prudential, Zalando, T-Systems, Jabil, Endress+Hauser, Rakuten

SAP Signavio Process Manager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP Signavio Process Manager pricing:
  • "We are only able to use the free academic licenses because we have a financial constraint. We are not able to pay for commercial licenses to use this kind of tool."
  • "I think we're spending about $150,000 a year on licensing costs."

SAP Signavio Process Manager Reviews

SandraSheppard
Lead Business Analyst at a media company with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to identify business analysts that are working on two different things and link up efforts

• "The features I find most valuable are ease of use and the Collaboration Hub."
  • "Customized reporting can be improved to make this a more versatile tool."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it in a mixture, actually. We have got our business-as-usual business analysis activities and we are getting our business analyst to model the processes that they would normally draw up in their day-to-day activity. Instead of doing it in Visio, we are asking them to do it in Signavio to get the depth of the information that we actually need for the process plans.

Things like attributes, the full details of the task descriptions, the full roles and all that is recorded and then filed centrally. What we are also doing is we are trying to expand our scope. This has been a project for us and what we are trying to do is develop it into a product so that we have got backing. We can then go out to different business areas and ask them about some of their processes. We will help them with the challenging parts of the processes. Like we will draw out the plans for them, show them what it looks like and what we can do for them. During that, we would identify pain points and again it is all kept centrally. Then we can feed that back to them. So those are our two main use cases.

How has it helped my organization?

For me, one of the main improvements in our organization has been the removal of duplication. We have business analysts across the organization and the business areas that are the ones that are generating the activity. So it is either in a product environment or it is an enterprise technology environment. What we have been able to do through the tool is to identify where business analysts are working on two different things and potentially they can link up efforts. So deduplication for us is one of the main areas things have improved.

What is most valuable?

For me, the features I find most valuable are definitely in the Collaboration Hub. That is something that we are developing. We are getting more users on there and becoming more familiar with it. The new version is definitely much better that way. The modeling is obviously very important. As a business analyst, when you go from muddling about just using Vizio without using a particular standard and then you go to Signavio you end up modeling to a standard. In a way that can sometimes feel a little bit restrictive. But once you get to understand what the tool is doing for you in terms of giving you the hints and tips and helping you draw plans effectively, it makes a better model in the end.

I see that as a benefit. If you need to do process modeling, I think the tool itself is really good because you can just type in what you want in Quick Model and then that can draw a simple process for you. If you are going from being a business analyst with lots of modeling experience but you had never modeled to a standard and then go to the tool that can be a little bit restrictive initially. Well, then it turns into a benefit because you start using the tool that you are supposed to in the way you are supposed to use it.

What needs improvement?

One thing I'd like to see changed and improved — bearing in mind we do not use the full functionality — is custom reporting. One thing that I found is in order to get us mobilized, get the processes modeled and get the right information out, we have had to use the API to create some custom reports. I would say making the creation of custom reports easier for the end-user could make it a more versatile solution.

We have not had any stability issues other than recently when they updated to Velocity. You could expect things like that to happen when a new product comes out. Apart from that, it has been 99% stable.

I think the usage can be scaled quite easily. It is very easy to onboard someone. It is also very easy to show them, and there doesn't seem to be any restrictions in terms of the number of users. Right now we are quite small in terms of numbers compared to some organizations. When we need to scale I'm sure we can.

Dealing with tech support has been pretty simple. You raise an issue online, then usually get an automated response back. Anything that is a major issue has been dealt with and gets a higher priority. Anything that is more of a request for something that would be nice if we could do takes a lower priority. We've raised some of those issues as well.

In terms of the relationship with the company, we've got a number of key people that we do speak to. It is a mix of the sales side to the financial side to the technology side. It is nice, but you've got to accept that in a bigger organization and to improve the processes or to give better customer service that you are not always going to be able to speak to one particular person.

Personally, I've spent a lot of time working in Visio. I've only been at the BBC for five years and then my previous employer worked in Visio. Going back a bit further, I did a piece of work with an SAP installation quite a while back, so I understood the importance of process. Lots of people don't. Over the years, besides working at the BBC, I always found processes for what I do. That is just my approach to things.

When we started going to conferences and were listening to certain people talking about their process, the central repository and such, we tried to understand how that would work in practice. We were using Visio at the time while other people were using things like Lucidchart — you know, free versions, or open-source Business Process Management.

Our priority became to get a central repository. So even without understanding what the tool could do in terms of the modeling, it gave us the central repository and I think the rest of the experience with the tool has been a bonus. It was through going to conferences and having a desire already to use processes more effectively that we made progress. We wanted to translate that to something the end-users and the senior managers would like.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

When we went to deploy we went with a consultant BPM-D (Business Process Management -Discipline). We wanted them to help us with our selection because we are a public service organization. We have to go through a particular process to procure anything to make sure that we are following and conforming to standards. So we went through a procurement process, scoped the products accordingly and awarded the contract to Signavio.

Our return on investment is intangible at the moment. Again, it's because of our operating model. We have been trying to find savings, but again, it's difficult to achieve unless you are actually looking to relate it to headcount. It's a challenge and we are not really set up like that in our organization. More recently, we started looking at cost avoidance and so we're looking at that as an angle in terms of return on investment. We are looking at how long it would take us to do it the traditional way.

I can't remember exactly which solutions we were evaluating before we chose Signavio. There were five on the shortlist. We purposely went with a consultant to use their consultancy experience to help us select the right tool because we didn't have that kind of experience. So we used their experience and their guidance to tell us what the top BPM solutions were on the market. Then we pulled together the requirements of what we actually wanted to get out of the tool we selected and got the consultants to do demonstrations to compare and contrast.

They all had the same criteria to follow and they demonstrated the options to a group of people. It wasn't just myself and my manager, it was a group of people who would be using the tool.  We scored the options based on the criteria and basically Signovio came out top in terms of about five or six different areas that we were evaluating like costs, ease of use, performance — all those sorts of things were taken into account. We just crossed products off the list initially. One was ARIS and another was Bizagi.

What other advice do I have?

One of the important things for us when we were looking at solutions, was the ease of use. A lot of other solutions out there were just like Visio. The interface for Signavio is good. It is easy to use. It is self-explanatory. I can't really say much more about it in that way. The ease of use affected the adoption in our organization massively. If it had not been easy to use and people were struggling with it, then they just would not have used it. So I'd say it's quite a high factor in making a choice.

Because we are still not using it to its full capacity, it is difficult to really assess the solution's integration, process modeling, mining, and automation thoroughly. A lot of that is because of our own business decisions and being able to get the data that we need to do these simulations in mining. But we can see that people who work with it benefit from these things and we know there is more potential. It is just that we have got to sell that idea on to the rest of our management.

The solution does enable us to carry out the process improvement life cycle. We do not have a completed example yet. We've been working on an HR onboarding process where we've been able to put that into the hub. But again, because of our business model and the way we set up, we have had to hand that project over in terms of work packages for delivery to the business department and we've not got sight of that since it has been handed over.

The solution's functionality doesn't quite give everyone in the organization what they need. But again, that is only because we are still in the early days of working with people to get them up to speed. The majority of people are used to process and understand process planning. So we are trying to get more of the end-user community involved in using the collaboration hub. So I'd say we're still on that journey.

I would say for business analysts the solution has actually improved that group's workday by reducing the time it takes for them to model a process. We have not been able to do that yet on the same terms with our senior management team. We are still building the process-centric mindset in the organization.

The advice I would give to people looking for a BPM solution would be to look closely at your requirements. Don't be pushed into anything by consultants. Listen to what they've got to say. You will have a gut feel of what you want to do and when you actually look at the tools that are out there it is easier to make your decision.

On a scale of one to ten where one is terrible and ten is great, I would rate the product as an eight only because I think there's always some room for improvement.

Private Cloud

Other
JennyBruhin
Business Process Consultant at Hirslanden AG
Full process visibility helps promote collaboration for the betterment of business processes

• "The collaboration function in the project views is valuable because people can comment on the processes and we can respond."
  • "I would like to see the inclusion of some document management functionality so that we don't need to integrate with a second solution to accommodate this."

What is our primary use case?

In our company in healthcare, we right now focus on process documentation in order to build a base for future process improvement and potential automation. We use the Signavio Process Manager to design the processes and publish them on the Collaboration Hub. This adds to the transparency of the business since all employees have access to the Collaboration Hub and see the documented processes as visualized models. This transparency is fostering the collaboration between business units by reducing silo thinking and thus enabling continuous process improvement.

How has it helped my organization?

The interface is quite intuitive. I am modeling a lot of processes, so for me, it's quite easy. We don't use the entire BPMN 2.2 notation, but I think it's quite easy to understand. At the same time, we have noticed that it is not that easy for people who are not used to reading processes. I think that you have to have a certain amount of background knowledge before you begin. If you are modeling, for example, it is easy to use if you know how to model processes. They also give you a pre-selection of what you can use, which helps.

My team of four people are the only ones who are modeling processes, so the intuitiveness in terms of being able to model does not help others. However, I think in general, when it comes to understanding our models, this solution empowers people in terms of understanding BPMN. They can use the collaboration hub and see the process, and then they use it in the project themselves. They see what is available and they understand the processes a little bit better.

We have not really used process modeling and automation to this point. We mainly document processes and try to get a better handle on the documentation. This helps us to close the gap between what is documented and how people do their work on a daily basis. At the same time, I think it's a very good framework to dig deeper into data mining, process intelligence, and also workflow accelerator because once you have to have processes, you can build on that. It's the fundamentals.

This solution pretty much enables us to carry out the entire process-improvement lifecycle in a unified hub. However, we also use another model on top of that where we measure how good the process is. We give the users a set of questions for them to rate the processes that we give to them. We use the state model, so based on this agenda, the process falls into one of those six categories. We plan to later do this rating of the processes using a workflow accelerator, but it still needs to be implemented.

An example of how Signavio is improving our business is the Collaboration Hub and the whole idea of collaboration. I see myself when I'm in projects or when I'm modeling processes, it's like a common language that you create. What I see a lot is when people come together, they don't really understand each other. For example, if you have IT people and doctors talking, they live in two different worlds, but somehow if you use this language, you can bridge them and you can bring them together because you have a common understanding. I think that's very helpful. So, if you make it accessible to both of the business units to make it accessible to the doctors and to IT people, they will get interested in putting their own ideas into a process.

With respect to providing our users with all of the tools they need, it depends on which side you're talking about. As editors, it's giving us pretty much everything, although we have to do some workarounds. We have process management and we have document management on top of it. We are using two different systems for this and we have connected them because you cannot do it all with Signavio alone. It is not very user-friendly if the user puts one hundred documents into a single process, so we use a different solution for that, and the users jump onto another system. We are keeping mind, of course, that Signavio is not a document management tool, it's a process management tool. Certainly, I think that our needs are covered right now. We have a big transformation project going on and we do a lot of standardization and process variance, so we have combined them in the architecture. Compared to process mining or process intelligence, our use case is simple, so our requirements are met.

The solution’s collaborative features should in theory help to create a process-centric mindset in our organization, although I think the whole idea of process thinking is a mental level that is above this. Even though people use processes as a common language, they don't always think in terms of processes. I don't know if Signavio can really help with that. The collaboration tools help with collaboration, and that's it. Becoming process-centric is more of a thought management function, where you need to foster the process thinking in general. I don't think that it even needs to necessarily be covered with this tool.

What is most valuable?

Based on my experience, one of the best features offered by Signavio is its simple Collaboration Hub functions, where users from various departments can constantly refer to in their TO-BE process design. The impact bridging silos with offering transparency is immense, especially in hierarchical organizations like hospitals. Most people feel part of the "process revolution" and some of them are even affected by the "process virus", thus initiating continuous improvement by looking at potentials/low hanging fruits in their own AS-IS processes.

What needs improvement?

There are two main features I like to see implemented/further developed in the SaaS solution, which would bring a great value to our present business case.

On the first hand, I would like to see the inclusion of some document management functionalities. Even though Signavio focusses on process management, processes are often accompanied by loads of documents. With our current solution, we link the DMS system with Signavio, nevertheless, an embedded solution of DMS with Signavio would certainly bring more benefits and better operability to the overall solution and its end-users.

On the other hand, a more user-friendly solution could be targeted with process standards and process variants compromising the overall process architecture. On the level of the process manager, it would be very convenient if standardized processes / or standardized parts of processes could be treated differently from process variants and be "marked" as such. Especially if standardized process parts are implemented in completely different (end-to-end) processes, a marginal change of the standardized part would be translated in all those other processes, where the standard process part is implemented. In the current status, process modularization needs to be performed, where the standardized parts are linked to from any other (end-to-end) process. On top of this, reports could be drawn to measure the % of standardization across all processes, including also standardized process parts in the analysis instead of just those processes, which are standardized end-to-end.

Overall, the solution offered by Signavio is very stable. We had from time to time some troubles with stability at the beginning, where users couldn't access the Collaboration Hub. However, this was due to the fact that our servers are based in South Africa. Therefore, the source of the problem is the location of the servers, which made communication with the Signavio cloud unnecessarily complicated. In the context of healthcare though, even a short system failure might have a significant impact on our daily business. Since we combine BPM with DMS, our end-users need the Signavio access to retrieve their documents for patient treatment. If the access is denied, we all feel the anxiety level increase (slightly) because our value proposition is addressing people's life and their wellbeing.

The scalability of the product is very impressive. At the end of our transformation project, we gonna have more than 10'000 users accessing the Collaboration Hub. We deploy the product parallel to our Transformation Project (HIT2020) in one clinic after the other and we found that the increasing number of users on the platform is not negatively influencing the software performance. This definitely speaks for the scalability of the software solution and allows us to focus on process management initiatives to support business transformation rather than concentrating on issues concerning software performance.

Since I have a business background and I am not an IT expert, I am mostly not the person speaking directly with the technical support team of Signavio. Nevertheless, most bugs occurring in our daily business are fixed within just a few hours of time. We only experienced two or three issues, where problem-solving took some more time. But in my experience the Signavio support team is always determined to fix our problem as soon as possible, delivering satisfying customer service.

There were different solutions in the pipeline and the final battle was between Signavio and Adonis. One of the decision-makers already knew Signavio and voted for the Signavio solution advertising its usability for both process managers and end-user. In the further decision process, he managed to convince everyone to launch Signavio as the new process management tool.

What other advice do I have?

In general, I think it is very important to understand the/your functionality of process management in a company and its relationship/alignment with business strategy. Based on the visions of where you want to go with process management, the right tool for the missions needs to be chosen.

I personally am very much convinced by the modularized solutions Signavio is offering in one SaaS software package: Process Manager, Process Intelligence and Workflow Accelerator all connected with the Collaboration Hub. If you want to push business transformation forward, want to go into process mining, facilitate process automation and in particular want to strengthen digitization initiatives those requirements are well covered with the Signavio tool.

Although, each company has a different role of process management within their company, a process management's "why", "how" and "what" must be clear from the beginning on. The tool chosen must then fit this strategic direction in order to support the business in their e.g continuous improvement.

Learn what your peers think about SAP Signavio Process Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
StantonAttree
Principal Business Process Architect at Met Office
Good integration of process modeling, collaboration and automation

• "The collaboration hub is good because it allows us to share the models that we've captured and to get comments back, and we don't all have to be in the same room, it can be remote and over time."
  • "The performance metrics appearing in the collaboration hub needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to raise process maturity in this UK government agency. The organisation is a 'trading fund' which has both publicly funded and commercial produces and services.

We began, in 2016, with a very low level of process maturity. Some inconsistent and non-standard policies and procedures had been published on the corporate intranet. There were no BPMN 2.0 workflow models or process architecture to any industry-standard; mainly models produced in Microsoft Visio or PowerPoint.

We needed to raise awareness of the value of effective business process management, document processes consistently and promote process performance management across the process governance roles prior to moving into process improvement and automation.

One if the biggest drivers for this was our ISO 9001:2015 certification which is a contractual requirement for some of our biggest customers.

So we are looking for the solution to help raise our process maturity from a zero base through: awareness of the value of process management, understanding what we do and proactive performance management of cross-functional processes - to help break the silos and shine a light on the pockets of activity that are not aligned with business strategy.

How has it helped my organization?

We didn't want a solution that produced a static diagram such as is produced by Visio, we didn't want process models to be something that sat on a shelf and were never looked at. With this solution, the models are living: stakeholders can go to them for reference or comment. The whole process architecture can be navigated by drilling-down or following lateral links. Documentation and custom fields can be linked with and displayed in the models.

We are still on a journey with the adoption, but we have some users outside of the core team in functional areas that we have trained to be modelers and they are happily using it.

Signavio has also awoken the organization to the reality of cloud adoption and the deployment of managed SaaS solutions.

An example of how this solution has improved our organization is the modeling of baseline and target processes and architecture for our HR department.  HR are implementing a new IT application (Ciphr). We approached the project with the recommendation to model their baseline processes prior to looking for an IT solution. This enabled them to do 3 key things:

1. Have a legitimate cost and resource baseline for benefits tracking

2. Enable the identification of 'change impacts' on functions, roles, processes, and other process model elements.

3. Provide a basis for 'what if' simulation of target models prior to deployment.

When the IT vendor arrived to run configuration workshops, HR had the majority of the information they required at their fingertips. This made it easier than it would have been otherwise and now HR recognizes the benefits of using this approach.

Although it was difficult to convince them upfront of the benefits,  HR are advocates for this approach and the Signavio solution.

I would say that this solution gives everyone in our organization everything that they need to effectively manage their processes.

It has helped us introduce process thinking and most people have embraced it. I think that it will help the careers of managers because they can now visualize and understand their processes and how they link upstream and downstream.

What is most valuable?

The model validation is valuable because many different people model in different ways to different standards. We have enhanced this by using the Workflow Accelerator functionality to deploy model approval workflows.

The Collaboration Hub allows us to share the models that we've captured and to get comments back, and we don't have to all be in the same room at the same time to do this.  Stakeholders can use their personal devices (even mobile phones) to collaborate and progress workflows.

We are using the simulation capability in Process Manager to accurately model how much things cost and how long they take at present. This enables us to simulate new designs safely at low cost prior to any significant investment in deploying new processes.

The simulations will allow you to model where you are now, where you think you want to be, and check that it's going to work.

This solution is very intuitive.

The integration of the Process Manager, Collaboration Hub, and Workflow Accelerator works very well. Now that the organisations process maturity has increased, we are looking at purchasing the Process Intelligence module to allow us to more easily measure and understand our current processes for LEAN six sigma process improvement projects.

What needs improvement?

We've seem previews of the new 'Velocity Edition' which is the latest release and we are looking forward to deploying the process performance dashboards in the Collaboration Hub.

The solution can enable us to carry out the entire process improvement life cycle from a central hub. We use the Lean Six Sigma methodology for improving processes, but there isn't specific functionality in the solution, at present, to support this. More support for process improvement methodologies such as Lean Six Sigma would be good.

We are trying to get help to up-skill our modelers and show us how to use it fully.

I have worked in many different organisations and have always had a vision of trying to improve processes and having a solution like this that ticks all of the boxes.

3 years.

This solution is stable, the only issues we have had are on our side and not with Signavio.

This solution is scalable. We started quite small and we are still small in the number of users, but Signavio is over-provisioning us. We are gradually ramping it up as time goes on.

The technical support is excellent. They cheerfully guide our own internal support team to resolve issues that lie with us rather than with Signavio's solution.

We previously used IBM Blueworks Live in this organisation and I have used it in other organisations previously.

We switched because we found that the Blueworks interface was inflexible and often produced messy and very limited models.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was easy and fast.

It is browser-based and cloud-hosted.

The deployment was done with Signavio.

This solution has helped us save time. We have done some studies in simulations where we've contrasted where we were before and where we are now - contrasting the previous unwieldy process models with the new optimised ones with fewer tasks, roles, lower costs and higher quality and speed.

Signavio is about the same price or cheaper compared to IBM Blueworks Live. The Collaboration Hub is an annual cost and enables 1,000 users to navigate published content without the need for a license (you can configure it to certain email or network scopes).

I had not come across Signavio until we undertook an extensive requirements gathering, market research and tender project. Signavio was 'head and shoulders' above the other 40 solutions we evaluated and is also one of the most inexpensive.

Appian was another solution that was evaluated, but they are very expensive. It's a multi-hundred thousand-pound solution. Signavio is easier to get into and to build up.

There was one other good solution, Orbus, but it's not a cloud solution. It was an on-premises service solution.

Some other solutions could do what we wanted but are very complex and so large that you don't know where to start. Other ones such as IBM Blueworks Live is simple to use but it's limited in terms of the flexibility.

We chose Signavio because it is intuitive, very comprehensive, relatively inexpensive and is a SaaS solution.  It's a very good balance of the most important requirements.

What other advice do I have?

Our head office looks highly professional - it is modern architecture of metal and glass - it looks impressive - so you would expect the processes that go on within it to be super-slick. We are getting there now.

When I joined the organization in 2016, it took weeks to get a laptop issued for a new starter. We still have a lot of work to do to model processes and manage them properly.

We don't use the process intelligence function at the moment, but I think that we need to. We will be speaking with Signavio later today. We are interested in process intelligence, but we don't have it yet.

My advice would be to engage with Signavio. Get them to help understand what the issues are, particular issues for the organization. They are quite good at guiding you to what the best products are to use and how to use them.

Start simple and build on it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Other
SW
Process Architecture Lead at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Gives us the opportunity to create a simple view but keep it very detailed as well

• "One of the most valuable features is ease of use which has really been a good thing to put into the business. People like tools that they can just pick up and use straight-away."
  • "The collaboration and commenting are great. However, I think it would be more useful for people to get notifications of comments straight-away so we can react even quicker to them than we already can."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the process manager. We have used the collaboration component quite heavily with some of our projects to communicate with some of our other partners. Currently, we are doing some work with some external companies and putting their processes into ours. We have actually been able to communicate directly with them. It has really cut down the time projects take and reduced some of the complexity of following communications with emails going forwards and backward all the time. We are currently going through the business operating model so we can drill down start at our operating model for the business and then drill down to get to the process level.

How has it helped my organization?

Because we are still in the early days, it is difficult to say exactly how the product has improved our organization. It is certainly a tool that encourages communications and allows access for departments to see what they do in a much easier way than before. It is good to have that live process that is always going to be updated and accessible instead of on a static rolled up piece of paper in the cupboard.

Probably similar to a lot of other businesses, you are going from having your flows and models in very different formats which can get very complicated sometimes. So it has really given us that opportunity to create that simple view but keep it very detailed as well. People don't need to get bogged down in navigation or figuring out other people's methodology or tools.

This solution improved employees' workdays and functions in some ways. Our automation team is using it quite heavily. It has enabled them to develop their automation quicker and it has enabled projects to be dealt with slightly quicker because of the collaboration commenting, and views are in one place. It has given people that chance to react quickly to any changes and the build of the automation has become quicker and easier.

I think we are getting around to more globally adopting a process-centered mindset. We are not there yet, but I'm hopeful that is will be in the future.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is ease of use which has really been a good thing to put into the business. People like tools that they can just pick up and use straight-away. For example, people love the Spacemaker tool, which is funny out of everything they could pick, but they think that is really good. The ease of use, the way the interface looks is very clear and having the ability to add an extra layer to process plans is helpful. I think that extra layer is something that I've really been able to use with the business, and it is nice how valuable that can be.

With the various ways that we can get out into the business through modelers and also through the quick model, we have been able to get things into the solution from different formats and that has been adopted very well. We are getting a lot of the content into the quick modeler. Essentially, in the department I work in, we do not have a full view of everything that goes on in the business. The solution enables the subject matter experts to get their information in and then we can go along and help them construct it and tidy it up properly.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I would really like to change is notifications. The collaboration and commenting features are great. However, I think it would be more useful for people to get notifications of comments straight away so we can react even quicker to them than we already can.

It has been very, very stable for us. So far so good. I think we had one small outage but it was dealt with really quickly.

We are still in the early days of using the product so the usage is quite small at the moment. I would imagine over the next six months we would be able to really scale it up once we get enough content in there. It is quite gradual at the moment.

The tech support has been very good so far. I have not actually had the need to use them much, which is good. The UK-based team delivers excellent customer service. The people we deal with are very knowledgeable, but also technically going through the system has been really good and quick.

We knew we needed a better solution after we carried out a review end-to-end in the business. It highlighted a lot of the things that better process management could solve for us. From silo approaches to just not having a lot of things joined up in the business, this was seen as a way that we can actually do that and keep it live, and keep it up to date.

We did not previously have a dedicated solution at all. We used older more traditional methods with Visio, PowerPoint and piecemealed it together.

Going back to the process of the tools we considered, it is hard trying to remember all those. I can certainly answer why we chose Signavio. It was the fact that their ethos and how they approached us just seemed to fit with how we like to work. That put them steps above others along with collaboration and customer journey mapping. We were embarking on a customer excellence project at the time, so it was really a way for us to tie a lot of that together. With collaboration being at the heart, it really did help us.

The initial setup was straightforward for the people who did the deployment. We had an idea of what we wanted to do, but they really helped us put it together.

We used an external training company to help get everything set up. They trained us and then it gave us the starting platform to then take it on ourselves to build out.

Our return on investment at the moment is time-savings on project communications. To be honest, because we are in the early stages it is hard to put a value on it. We are still at the stage of just getting stuff in.

What other advice do I have?

The solution's integration of process modeling, mining, and automation in one place really helps. That Collaboration Hub is a nice feature, but also the separation of the modelers and having them in their own space. But it is that Collaboration Hub that really helps bring everything together. We have not fully looked at how the process intelligence will incorporate with that yet. That is something we are still to look into, but I can certainly see that it will be able to just pull those different elements together and layer them.

The product certainly helps us identify process improvements and then we can use that documentation and those models to change our projects and processes. The parts are working side-by-side at the moment. The functionality gives everyone in our organization — from process experts to end-users — what they need. It is presenting a different view and it is allowing people to more easily view what they need to view. But it is also giving that viewer access to understand other areas of the business that they probably would not normally have access to.

On a scale of one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate Process Manager as a high nine. Just the ease of use, the layering of information and how quickly it can all be done is enough to rate it high. The team that we were interacting with in the UK, through from presale to now have really supported us. It is not just a case where we have purchased a product and got left alone with it. They are always engaging with us and working with us to help us with our transformation, which has been really good.

My advice to someone considering this type of BPM (Business Process Management) solution is to just go for it. We have already engaged with some of our partners to help them along. They will want to use some of the methodologies behind the change to use it optimally. But it really works to improve process and productivity.

DeenNajimudeen
Assistant Director at Ernst & Young
Enables everyone to comment, contribute, and discuss the processes itself

• "The most valuable feature for me is the collaboration point of view, where everybody has a single view, or source of truth, and everybody sees the same thing. Everyone can comment, contribute, and discuss the processes itself, which makes it easier to funnel down the most value adding comments and make the relevant changes to the processes. This leads to the next best iteration or version of your process."
  • "For me, given I've got a lot of experience working with BPMN and other process management tools, in terms of the interface, I think there's a little bit more that can be improved to match what the conventional BPMN offers. I've been constantly trying to give this feedback to Signavio, to let them know that it needs to be more coherent with the original BPMN version of the stencil."

What is our primary use case?

There are plenty of use cases. One of the key things that we're trying to understand is related to the fact that a lot of our teams are working in different methods. Especially being in a global layer of the company, we're trying to see how similar teams from different geographies are working, in order to find a synergy or find the best way to learn from each other. That's why we've taken on Signavio to do our business process mapping.

How has it helped my organization?

We work a lot with offshore delivery models and Signavio has helped us bring their processes and our processes in line so that we know exactly where the hand-offs are and who is responsible for what. In some cases, we have improved the process by shifting this responsibility.

That's one of the real examples that we've done. We've been able to look at the whole picture and understand the responsibilities of each team, whether you're in the US, UK, or India. Then we can understand how to change responsibilities in order to make better use of a process. It's been done on the go, which is really good for us and it's been really valuable.

I think the entire process has improved the life cycle by being in a unified hub. We are still in our infancy of using Signavio. Already, there's been a lot of improvement with people contributing or giving input towards these processes, which means it's working already. The next step for us is to use this as a launchpad to start really managing and improving our processes in real-time. I'm hoping to get there within the next year.

The solution's functionality gives everyone in our organization, from process experts to end users, what they need. There are a lot of times that we talk to the business owner, as we have a lot of client-facing teams. Signavio has enabled us to speak to them directly. In other cases, we wouldn't really talk to them about processes, whereas here, because they can access their process with a click of a link, it makes it easier to comment and say, "Actually, we don't work this way anymore." That sort of feedback helps us to immediately look at it, take in all of its implications, and then change the way we work, so we can still be an enabler rather than an obstruction to their work as well. In the end, their work is what brings revenue to our company too, and we just have to be there to do everything for them.

Signavio improves our employees' work-based functions. It just becomes a little clearer who does what. When you can see it on a piece of paper on the wall somewhere, in a very consistent format, as the process manager allows you too, it gives everybody the sense that they know what they are responsible for. It just clears what you have to do so you can focus.

The collaborative features definitely help create a process-centered mindset in our organization. Every process that we have, there are at least six people talking about it at the same time, which is much better than just one person trying to shove something down somebody else's throat. That's a really good thing. Collaboration works towards that.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me is the collaboration point of view, where everybody has a single view, or source of truth, and everybody sees the same thing. Everyone can comment, contribute, and discuss the processes itself, which makes it easier to funnel down the most value-adding comments and make the relevant changes to the processes. This leads to the next best iteration or version of your process.

The interface is really good. It's on your browser, so you don't have to install anything. It just runs off Internet Explorer or Chrome, so the interface is I think a big plus for me.

The solution's ease of use is very friendly so it has been adopted quite well. I thought a lot of people might complain that they need to do tutorials and things like that but they didn't. The people I've spoken to or worked with almost picked it up immediately, without having to do too much coaching. That's a really good thing about the interface and the front end.

What needs improvement?

For me, given I've got a lot of experience working with BPMN and other process management tools, in terms of the interface, I think there's a little bit more that can be improved to match what the conventional BPMN offers. I've been constantly trying to give this feedback to Signavio, to let them know that it needs to be more coherent with the original BPMN version of the stencil.

So far, I haven't had any really bad experiences, so I couldn't really comment on the stability. So far it's been working okay for me.

I think it's a very scalable product. Obviously, if you work with Signavio hand-in-hand, they are very proactive in trying to help you with what you want. More than me being on their tail, they are after me asking what I want them to do for us. That is a good thing in terms of service, so I definitely think it's scalable. They want to understand our roadmap so that they can help as well.

I have used them occasionally. Because we are using a very small component of Signavio, we haven't really had that many technical queries. When we do speak to them, though, we usually get an immediate response. They get back to us within 24 to 48 hours and then we get something sorted out.

We had Signavio in a different department. A German team was already using it. Through our vendor analysis to see what would be the best fit, we actually chose Signavio, and then we found out we already had an existing relationship. That's how we are changing how we work with them now.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We used good consultants. The initial bits, they've done to help us get up and running. In our second phase, where we're moving into a hybrid of cloud and on-premise, we're working hand-in-hand with them. They've been quite proactive. They always answer questions that we have, especially questions related to security and risk because that's a big factor for us.

We do not yet see an ROI. It is still too early for anything tangible. Intangibly, we are definitely working better across regions, with a lot more collaboration and transparency. There's a lot more understanding of the work we do, plus the work that other teams are doing. We have more empathy now.

Our shortlist included iServer, Bizagi, Trisotech, which is a Canadian company, and Signavio. They were our shortlisted front-runners. We went with Signavio because we had an existing relationship and obviously we were able to elicit a lot of feedback about how they were already working with them. Secondly, it was a good preference compared to the other two as well. Bizagi and Signavio were very close, but we eventually went with Signavio because of the interface and experience.

What other advice do I have?

There's a specific type of product that works for your company, and there could be a lot of factors that finally allow you to settle or choose one. For us, it was Signavio because of the fact that they were a good product and we already had an existing relationship. You must really think about adoption. That's the key thing, because for a product of this scale if the adoption is low, you're not going anywhere with it. The friendlier and easier it is to grasp, the better it is going to work for your wider company. That would be my advice.

I would give it an eight and a half out of ten. If you need a whole number, give it an eight, just to push them a little harder.

GL
Senior lecturer and researcher at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Using the process repository, we can gather all our processes in one place

• "Process Manager supports end-to-end transformation. Students can better understand end-to-end activity and processes as well as how they are run. For teaching, it's process discovery, then modeling, and finally optimization and simulation, partly. Typically, we showcase some simulation of the processes, and this is where we finish. That is why we validate that it's properly designed, but also what are the outcomes of modeled processes. There are also options for discussion on process optimization."
  • "Typically, a business process management suite would cover the whole lifecycle, from discovery to optimization and operations. This is running on the process server and providing some kind of low-code environment for developing business solutions. I think the latter part is missing, where SAP Connector comes in. Specifically, the execution of processes is missing, where you would design forms to take orders. This is typically part of some development environment for the process server to run processes from out of the models."

What is our primary use case?

I am a lecturer at a university. We are using it as a lecturing tool for business process modeling.

We use it in a case each month on a yearly basis. We have a condensed course which runs approximately one month. During this month, we would use Signavio with some assignments for students to model their processes within Signavio Process Manager when having tutorials or computer labs tutorials on the topic of business process modeling.

There is a curriculum provided by Signavio. I enroll students into the portal, then students can go into the portal, open their folder, and design their processes there. I can oversee, discuss, and correct them. The typical case is where the students use the modeler to create processes, then we would discuss them online.

We are using the academic Signavio.com. This is an offering for academic initiatives.

How has it helped my organization?

This is one of the tools available for us which has a lifecycle for business process management, e.g., discovery, modeling, and optimization. This is really valuable for our students because they do not have separate tools. Everything is integrated into one tool.

Processes will always affect the outcome facing customers, so Process Manager helps optimize customer-facing processes. If you are having transparent accountable processes, then you can repair or optimize them. That way, you can clearly see what's going on within the processes, and they are more manageable. Then, you can improve and optimize them. Therefore, you improve the customer-facing outcomes.

What is most valuable?

The number one, most valuable feature is the process repository so we can gather all our processes in one place. Then, students can also see each other's work, having all the comments in one place and attached to the processes.

The process repository is proof of, or an example of, what students can achieve during one course as well as how they have improved their understanding and learning of process management.

Process Manager supports end-to-end transformation. Students can better understand end-to-end activity and processes as well as how they are run. For teaching, it's process discovery, then modeling, and finally optimization and simulation, partly. Typically, we showcase some simulation of the processes, and this is where we finish. That is why we validate that it's properly designed, but also what are the outcomes of modeled processes. There are also options for discussion on process optimization.

What needs improvement?

Typically, a business process management suite would cover the whole lifecycle, from discovery to optimization and operations. This is running on the process server and providing some kind of low-code environment for developing business solutions. I think the latter part is missing, where SAP Connector comes in. Specifically, the execution of processes is missing, where you would design forms to take orders. This is typically part of some development environment for the process server to run processes from out of the models.

I think I have been using this solution since 2017. It has been awhile.

It is stable. I didn't have any issues, bugs, etc. So, there have been no major issues.

I haven't had any problems in regards to scalability.

15 to 30 users are utilizing at any given time, depending on the size of the class. Typically, there are 20 users.

From time to time every year, my account expires, then it has an automated service for renewing access. This is working perfectly because I haven't had any issues with it. There are some broken links within the help section, but the solution is well worth it otherwise.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We previously used Visio for diagramming, then students would upload their processes to the discussion forum and so on. However, this did not really make things work when you would be repairing, building up processes, or collaborating on processes with teammates. There were some missing features in regards to business processes. The repository was not able to perform with Visio as well as the business process simulation. These are features that we only get with Signavio.

We also previously used the ADONIS:Community Edition.

We switched to Signavio because we wanted students to cover the whole business process management lifecycle, from discovery to modeling to optimization as well as simulation and theoretical execution. We were looking for enterprise-grade features, like repository and simulation. We could only get this with Signavio, which is the reason why we switched.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The deployment took a month. I registered for the initiative, then they provided me access. After that, I explored the environment a bit. I needed to register my separate accounts so I could have one screen from a teaching/lecturer perspective and another screen from a student perspective. This is so I can test the environment in a manner where I can then provide some guidance for students to complete their tutorials.

I watched a couple of webinars on its deployment as well as some tutorials published within the help section of Signavio Process Modeler. These were very helpful.

We did evaluate other options: Bizagi, Microsoft Visio, and ADONIS. We used these three tools prior to Signavio.

As a teacher, I need to follow developments in the field for business process management. We also reviewed IT Central Station.

The process repository is really valuable. This is something I cannot get with other tools.

What other advice do I have?

When you are selecting the business process management suite, you need to make sure that you have end-to-end coverage of the business process management lifecycle, not just to model the business processes, but also to run and optimize it. This is hard to achieve. An option is that you can check whether your selected solution supports a complete lifecycle. Another part is that you can export process models and run them on different process servers, not being locked into a certain vendor.

Students will contact the businesses, but this will be over the phone for a single session to learn about their problems, then they would design a process. However, they would not validate outcomes of the process with customers or their business contact. We can benchmark it towards some kind of business best practices, e.g., what are the typical sales processes or order to cash, but we cannot really judge the overall improvement in real life.

There is potential for students to build up a business process repository for a company that they are investigating. Typically, they would now design just one process for a certain case, but for their seminar work, they are examining a real-life business company that are typically smaller companies. They would talk to managers there, then design not one, but many complete end-to-end processes. There is also support for business process level. Therefore, we have a top-level process, then you can break that down. This is meaningful for students to have a better overview of the process landscape within certain companies.

I haven't really tried to export the processes into a process server, but this is a valuable point. What do you do with the models that you design? Obviously, the best outcome is to run it, then analyze it for potential operational outcomes. However, we are not able to do that because we don't have a platform for this.

I was not aware of SAP Journey Modeler until recently.

I would rate it as eight out of 10.

Muhammad-Ismail
Operations Governance and Oversight at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Enables us to carry out the entire process environment life cycle in a unified manner and for our employees to be more productive

• "The fact that the repository is available on the web is the most valuable feature. It's a very simple tool. If you can use something simple and visual, you should be able to use the model as well in Signavio. It has the ability, for example, to track versioning control, so if you make updates to the processes, you have the ability to track the versions as well."
  • "I think the biggest selling point that Signavio talks about is its collaborative aspect. However, there's still a lot more improvement in terms of what they can do, how they receive comments, address comments, whether they actually provide feedback, etc. There is still a little bit more improvement to be made on those areas."

What is our primary use case?

We've had a restructuring in our company last year, so a lot of functions that have come are quite new and a lot of new staff are being hired as well. It's particularly useful to have this repository of processes so that new staff can get on board easily and use the knowledge that's available to start working immediately.

How has it helped my organization?

There was a lack of clarity at our company, in terms of how certain transactions were supposed to be done. I think with this step-by-step approach in terms of process definition, as well as the ability for people to access the repository easily, we can remove any doubts of how they should be doing their work.

The solution will enable us to carry out the entire process environment life cycle in a unified manner, although we have not gone to that full cycle yet. We are just able to document our new processes as per the new business model that we have. We hope to complete the circle to go into improvement analysis next year, followed by a new version of their processes.

The solution functionality gives everyone in our organization what they need. One way or another, people are sort of developing their business processes on their own, but it differs from department to department. Now, we have a consistent way to model the processes and communicate them. It is now in one unified language.

We have not needed to make changes to our processes yet, but I think as people model their processes, they already see at the outset that there are possible improvements that can be made.

Employees are more productive because they can do a transaction without any ambiguity or issues down the line.

Signavio is approaching the point where its collaborative features will help to create a process-centric mindset. The good thing is the fact that you can raise comments on processors, which gives a lot of power to the end-users. They can say which areas need to be improved or get back at the process modelers to improve their processes in the future.

What is most valuable?

We had a solution before that was not as easy to use. A recent internal survey showed that people have found that Signavio is much more user-friendly. One of our goals was to make sure that our own staff is able to learn a model as opposed to relying on external resources. Our staff was able to be trained on how to use this tool and the model they own for themselves. In terms of ease use, it's very good.

What needs improvement?

I think the biggest selling point that Signavio talks about is its collaborative aspect. However, there's still a lot more improvement in terms of what they can do, how they receive comments, address comments, whether they actually provide feedback, etc. There is still a little bit more improvement to be made on those areas.

I think it's been very stable so far. There have been no crashes or other issues. We're happy with their regular updates.

Currently, we don't have that many users, so we can't yet test it in terms of scaling up. So far we have gone from ten users initially up to 50 modelers. We are also increasing the number of people accessing the collaboration hub. So far, so good.

Their technical support is very good. They have a very good way of accessing the users and are able to easily put our tickets forward to resolve them. On top of that, I feel that we still have customer success managers as well who check in periodically to see whether we are happy with the solution overall and see how they can help out with that.

We had an older solution that was not as easy to use and our staff was not able to learn how to use the previous tool. With Signavio, one of the selling points is that everybody comes out of a one to two-day training able to model their processes. You get that ability to do it yourself and start modeling very fast.

Our experience was that we used Signavio's own consulting team to do something called a rapid deployment. This was a quick and easy way to introduce Signavio into the organization. In just a few days, they came on site and talked to us to understand our context and situation. Then they could configure the entire solution. It's a very easily convertible solution anyway. Nonetheless, they walked us through it and it gave us the confidence to use the solution.

I think we're spending about $150,000 a year on licensing costs.

I think we were looking at a few state-of-the-art vendors that are out there. They were famous ones like Bizagi, KiSSFLOW, etc. Signavio ticked all of our boxes because you have the ability to model in open formats, such as BPMN, they have a web-based portal, and it was simpler. The other solutions can get a little bit more complicated. This one was a simple, easy to use software that was good for us.

What other advice do I have?

If you are thinking of a solution where you don't have to be dependent on external resources through the modeling part and you want to be more self-sufficient, Signavio is the way to go. It enables you to get your own staff to do the process documentation easily. The most important thing is that we're able to update the processes periodically, which is what we wanted. We didn't want an obsolete processing repository after a few years. We want to give the incentive to staff to update them. That's one of the major reasons I would say you should adopt it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. It's still a developing product and I have confidence that there is still a lot of room to improve. Of course, I'm not using the Velocity Edition yet, so I do see a lot of things that are improving in terms of integration aspects. They look and feel the same. They've integrated all the different modules. I hope that I would be able to give the Velocity Edition a nine out of ten. I think one of the issues was the fact that the solutions looked different because they brought different modules. Now, however, the new one addresses them in a more integrated fashion. The user interface is a bit lacking, which is why I only gave it a score of eight of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
JanisSteltner
Process Manager at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Editor is easy to use and works well for live model editing sessions

• "The ability to leave comments in the Collaboration Hub is a good and easy way for the employees to give feedback on the processes."
  • "Signavio Process Manager needs to have an integrated document management system to better work with processes that rely heavily on documents and document flows."

What is our primary use case?

We have created a process house in our company and are defining thirteen end-to-end processes. We created process teams to create the end-to-end processes and we define process owners for each of these. After this, we meet for support workshops to build level three processes in Signavio and link them to each other. We also create end-to-end-to-end processes, because sometimes business processes jump from one end-to-end process to the next, to the next, and then back to the first.

This solution is also used to define the communication between the different departments and erase silo thinking. We publish processes in our intranet and we use the Collaboration Hub that every employee has access to. Each person can use it as a Help Tool to find out the right way that things should be done, who they need to speak with, and who they can get information from.

How has it helped my organization?

Signavio has helped us bring transparency to the processes within our company. We can get feedback on processes, and importantly, we get people to talk about them. Before this, they just thought in silos. Now, people think about what happens before and after their process and consider who else cares when something is changed.

With respect to improving our employees' functions, we do have processes where we have to collaborate with externals. This solution allows us to define processes and let the externals know what they should do with them. It makes it simpler to tell them what we expect, in terms of service. The only problem right now is that we have to print out the process and send it to them. We could give them our comment links, but we don't really want to do this. If Signavio would create something like an external collaboration tool then it would definitely help us to communicate with externals about our processes in terms of what we need and what we expect from them.

We don't use the process mining functionality yet. I intend to use it in a few years, maybe in a few months, depending on how quick we are. Currently, we are at a very early stage of process management in our company. We first have to define our processes and understand how we currently work before we can think about process mining. It makes sense to know what to do before automation, and definitely, process mining and RPA are really interesting topics and relevant for the future.

This solution does not yet help us with improving the process lifecycle. We are searching for a workflow tool at the moment and I know there's a workflow solution from Signavio but this doesn't fit currently to us. We need integration with a document management system and this not part of the Signavio solution. An option for document management would really help us because a lot of processes within our company are based on documents and document flows. As it is now, it's more valuable for us to find a document management solution with workflow integration, compare to using the workflow tool in Signavio with just the Windows Explorer.

In terms of creating a process-centric mindset within the organization, it has helped for some parts. We are still working on this and it is one of our biggest tasks within the next year to get everything online for the digital transformation. We still have some old school people in our company who would rather see this take place in twenty years, but our priority is to adapt in order to stay competitive.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the editor and its ease of use. I do a lot of live editing in meetings and I do workshops with the people. As they tell me things about a process and I am doing live modeling, they sometimes say it is like magic. When people are looking at it, they can make comments about changes that need to be made. This is really valuable because when a process is not documented, people can be talking about two different things and arguing about them without knowing what the other one means.

The ability to leave comments in the Collaboration Hub is a good and easy way for the employees to give feedback on the processes. This means that they can improve their own processes because it gives them the opportunity to look at them, and think about other ways that they can be done. They do not have to pick up the telephone and call the modelers.

What needs improvement?

If Signavio would create something like an external collaboration tool then it would definitely help us to communicate with externals about our processes in terms of what we need and what we expect from them.

I would like to see the capability for replies to comments within the collaboration hub, as opposed to only a series of comments that may or may not be related. That would be great.

We have been using this solution for less than one year.

I would rate the stability a nine out of ten. However, once last year, I had to present this solution to our CEO and it wasn't working. That was not good, but it was the only time when it wasn't working.

I think that this is a scalable solution.

We have about one hundred employees in our company and we have two modeling licenses. The rest of the people don't model, but they use the Collaboration Hub to give feedback.

I worked in another company before this one that was also using Signavio, and they are much larger. It worked perfectly there and they have between twenty and thirty thousand people.

The Signavio technical support is always great. I have had contact with them two or three times and the problems have always been resolved within a few hours.

When I started with this company they were using ADONIS, although it was not the current version. It was quite old and nobody supported it. I was already familiar with Signavio and I suggested that we need it, rather than continue with what they already had.

I deployed this solution because I was familiar with it from my previous company.

Unfortunately, we have no measurable ROI yet. I think that there is some, but I couldn't present it to management at this point.

I had a look at ADONIS and from the first impression with a live demo, it was no as simple to model processes as Signavio, which is the main thing that I need in my workshops.

What other advice do I have?

This solution makes it easy to model and has good collaboration capabilities. For us, it is perfect. My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to try the free, thirty-day trial and see if they like it. If so, then go with them.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud