Visio Overview

Visio is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Mind Mapping Software. It is most often compared to Bizagi: Visio vs Bizagi

What is Visio?
Microsoft Visio is an advanced diagramming solution that helps IT professionals simplify, connect, and share information. Visio provides tools and resources for interpreting, acting upon, updating, and sharing complex information about IT processes, infrastructure, and applications - effectively and efficiently.

Visio is also known as Microsoft Visio.

Visio Buyer's Guide

Download the Visio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

Visio Customers
Thomas College, Hamburg Port Authority, Portigon AG, Conseil G_n_ral du d_partement des Hautes-Alpes, AAA Auto a. s., Commonwealth Financial Network, ICA, Abu Dhabi National Energy Company
Visio Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Visio pricing:
  • "The licensing process is actually a breeze. Simply buy the license and download it from Microsoft, enter the license key in Visio to activate the software, and you're done."
  • "It has a lower price point than the competition."
  • "Visio is about a $180 dollars to purchase. It is a one-time licensing fee."

Visio Reviews

Michael Barg
Principal Consultant at Lexington Consulting
Dec 14, 2020
Provides a quick way to spruce up client reports and proposals with rudimentary yet impactful visuals

What is our primary use case?

I use Visio when I'm writing a client report in Microsoft Word, and I want to put in a simple graphic to supplement the text or better explain something. Visio's graphics are not complicated. They're quick and easy to create, so I use them mainly for what I would call static graphics, like simple charts and diagrams.

• "Visio has improved my workflow by making it easy to create charts, diagrams, and basic illustrations that I can use in my client reports and proposals. It has saved me a lot of time I would otherwise spend creating visuals for clients by hand."
  • "There could be better integration between Visio and Word, especially when it comes to importing graphics from the one to the other."

What other advice do I have?

I like to call Visio a program for the graphically impaired. I use it because I hate spending lots of time preparing graphics. I would recommend skipping any fancier alternatives. Most people might benefit from adding quality visuals to their documents but don't have design skills. In that case, I recommend using Visio instead. As long as you don't have excessive expectations, it will do what you need it to do and do it for a reasonable cost. I would rate Visio an eight out of ten.
Vaibhav-Kumar
Assistant Manager in Strategic Consulting at Metlife
Oct 14, 2019
Provides Key Collaboration With Other Microsoft Applications Like SharePoint and Excel

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Visio revolves around business process re-engineering, as-is process, to-be-processed, and then time and motion study, value stream mapping, and in collaboration with everything together.

• "Visio has improved our organization through an essential collaboration with the other Microsoft applications like SharePoint and Excel. So basically in the earlier days, what used to happen, a majority of the organization captured all the as-is process, the time and motion data in the form of Excel and then they used to create process diagrams using other freeware applications. Collaboration allows easy and convenient sharing with other stakeholders, that is really helpful with Visio."
  • "The one particular thing which I would like to see improved is in comparison to other products in the market, and is still lacking in Visio, is publishing on a web application. For example, there is a freeware application business process modeling tool, Bizagi."
  • "I would like to see included in the next release is the implementation of web publishing."

What other advice do I have?

The only additional advice I would give, Visio is one very powerful tool in the market. Not just the application, but also its effectiveness to collaborate with other applications. Everyone is using Microsoft applications; it's how you work across platforms, and this collaboration makes life easy. The individual applications have a lot of functions an features that's the reason why each of these applications is quite complex. You need to understand the functions before getting the full value of this tool. On a scale of 1 to 10, with ten being the best I would rate this product an eight-over…
Learn what your peers think about Visio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ahmed Hussien
Tally Operations Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 3, 2019
Intuitive and doesn't take much time to make a complete and sophisticated flow chat from end to end

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Visio as a flow chart software solution.

• "It is easy to learn and implement."
  • "It does not integrate well with other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I rate Visio as an eight out of ten on a very conservative scale. It is an 8 for ease of use, efficiency, and flexibility. It's not 9 of 10 because it lacks integration functions. If you have a team that is not sophisticated or oriented to flowcharts, or if you don't have a lot of time to train these people, I guess Visio comes in handy as a very easy solution. When I started to train people on Visio, it didn't take more than two or three days. Even people who use iGraphics for years don't know all the features or know that they exist.
Alberto Hidalgo
Project Development at INECO
Oct 8, 2020
Intuitive with an easy setup and a good interface

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution to make new core designs. I connect the designs to the projects I'm involved with.

• "The solution makes it very easy to make exciting pictures and designs. Everything is very intuitive and simple to figure out."
  • "The user interface could be more robust."

What other advice do I have?

I'm using the latest version of the solution. I use Visio now, and I'll use it going forward. I imagine I'll always use it. I have used AutoCAD, however, I prefer Visio. It's my favorite as I'm so comfortable with all of the aspects of the solution after working with it for so long. Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
Shelley Engen
HRIS Specialist at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 28, 2020
Better for visualizing various types of workflows than more primitive methods of tracking

What is our primary use case?

I am an HRIS (Human Resources Information Systems) specialist. I use Visio for a variety of things. * I do work charts on it. * I do WiX (Windows Installer XML). * I do all swim lane mappings. * I do process mapping. That pretty much covers it.

• "The ability to visualize a workflow is certainly an advantage over just tracking a process in something like Excel."
  • "It is pretty easy to use if you are looking for this type of solution."
  • "The behavior of the interface can sometimes be unpredictable."

What other advice do I have?

The only real comment I have for people thinking of adopting Visio is that it is pretty easy to use if you are looking for this type of solution. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Vizio as an eight-out-of-ten.
Arancha Cortes Guasch
Founder at AC Lean
Nov 28, 2020
Easy to use and very basic, but it's hard to manage attributes

• "I haven't needed to reach out to technical support the entire time I've used the product. It's very basic and very simple, and therefore I've never run into any issues I haven't been able to deal with personally."
  • "To be able to extract a report for business project management notations would be ideal."

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer. I don't have a business relationship with Visio. For how I use the solution, it's quite good and does what I need it to do. It's unique in terms of drawing processes. That said, it is getting a little bit old. There are other solutions out there that offer many more functionalities and users can work with more information on them. That's really useful. Visio, on the other hand, doesn't have the same kind of capabilities. That's why I'm currently looking for another application to use. I want to be able to export more information from the business process management…
Elsedeeck Elrayes
Business Process Management Specialist and Business Continuity Management Coordinator at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 1, 2020
Very fast with great documentation but has limited scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for business process design.

• "The fact that it's on-premises allows you to get fantastic speed. It's got a faster response rate, it doesn't lag, and it doesn't have any latency when you're working on it."
  • "If you look at ARIS, for example, or Signavio, the flowchart combines all the details and with the click of a button I can create a process manager. That would be something that Visio could add. It would cut my workload in half."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft. We're using either the 2015 or 2016 version of the solution. The first question a company needs to determine how complex the processes are and how much depth, how much detail they want to document. If it's simpler and they want to get away from the flow chart and then present it somewhere else (such as on a PowerPoint or a report) Visio is a great option. However, if you want to actually manage your processor, simulator, have a database, or have workflows in order to get approval within different departments or, for…
DelMan34546
Delivery Manager at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
May 26, 2019
Good for developing proposals, but falls short on features for business process mapping

What is our primary use case?

This solution is primarily used for architecture diagramming, process flow, and process mapping. We work on engineering projects, including software development projects, and this solution is used to create proposals for customers.

• "Putting details into the process flow and being able to link other objects into the diagrams are very helpful features."
  • "I would like to be able to present diagrams in multiple ways, such as a Swimlane diagram."

What other advice do I have?

If you know how to use Visio and you know what you want to get as an output, then it's very helpful and easy. But, for beginners, or for anyone who wants to prepare a more informative diagram, I'm not sure if Visio is a very helpful tool. Once you have hands-on experience then it is easy to figure out. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
See 19 more Visio Reviews