JIRA Portfolio Review

Handled SDLC from end-to-end and fits well into an Agile environment

What is our primary use case?

I am a software developer and we use this product for end-to-end SDLC. It begins with the requirements gathering, then continues with tracking features and planning our sprints. We also use it for tracking bugs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it fits very well into an agile framework, and it is especially helpful with the planning aspects. For example, if you create a new ticket, issue, or feature, then you classify it accordingly and you can assign it to an ongoing sprint.

You can look at the sprint backlog to see what features are planned, how many are in progress, and how many have been completed. This helps during reviews because you can get information about the velocity of the team. If somebody should leave the team for a while, or are otherwise unavailable for work, then the velocity calculations are readjusted.

What needs improvement?

Converting a task into an epic is very troublesome. As it is now, if you make the mistake of creating the wrong thing then you just have to delete it and start again. If you could convert between things such as features and tasks then it would be helpful.

I have been using the Jira Portfolio for about four years.

We use Jira on a daily basis and I cannot recall having any issues with stability.

It is easy to scale but of course, the problem is that it needs licenses. As the licenses fit into a plan, it can be kind of tricky. When you want to procure additional licenses, it is a long path.

For example, if you have licenses for 50 users and you see that you need a license for another 10, then you can't just purchase a small number. At a certain point, you have to move up to 500 users, which is quite a jump.

Currently, we have about 60 users.

I have not been in contact with their technical support team, although I do go through the community forums. I get details on new features that are going to be released and other such information, but I have not had to contact support for any specific issue.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Somebody who knows Agile well will have no difficulty with Jira. On the other hand, somebody new to Agile may face some problems in the beginning.

We do not have any dedicated staff for maintenance. For the operation of it, we do have a facilitator and a scrum master who manages things for each project. However, maintenance is very straightforward. We don't need a full-time administrator working on it. A couple of people working part-time can take care of it.

Internally, people within a project may need some help when it comes to things like planning. In this case, they will get help from the scrum master.

We pay our fees annually, although monthly payments are also available.

What other advice do I have?

From a developer's perspective, this tool works fine and I don't have any complaints other than wanting to convert between features, tasks, etc, when a mistake has been made in creating one.

The only advice that I have for people who are implementing Jira Portfolio is to make sure that they manage their licenses properly.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More JIRA Portfolio reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about JIRA Portfolio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.