JIRA Portfolio Overview

JIRA Portfolio is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Agile Planning Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Project Server: JIRA Portfolio vs Microsoft Project Server

What is JIRA Portfolio?

The agile portfolio management tool, built for JIRA.

With Portfolio for JIRA, you can plan and forecast a realistic roadmap, make data-informed decisions when the unexpected happens, and keep everyone in the know.

JIRA Portfolio is also known as Portfolio for JIRA.

JIRA Portfolio Buyer's Guide

Download the JIRA Portfolio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

JIRA Portfolio Customers

Rosetta Stone, Sprint, UBS, Workday, Expedia, J.P. Morgan

JIRA Portfolio Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about JIRA Portfolio pricing:
  • "The product is really not very expensive."
  • "The pricing continues to get higher."
  • "We pay our fees annually, although monthly payments are also available."
  • "The pricing of the solution is expensive."
  • "We only have nine people using it so we have a standard cost of $150 dollar per year. There are only additional costs if you exceed the limit of users, then you start paying by user. The cost is significantly higher."

RJ
Project Manager at Allianz
Good documentation, good visualization of tickets, and relatively stable

• "The documentation is very well done."
  • "JIra is very poor at reporting."

What other advice do I have?

In general, we are on a server configuration and not a cloud solution. That means, each year we have that specific version until we update it. I suppose since we have installed the JIRA Portfolio in January, it's the last version. However, I'm not sure. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall. If the solution would work for others depends on the size of their company. If we had to do the implementation again, we should have bought JIRA Portfolio at the same time as JIRA Core. I think we did a mistake by introducing JIRA Portfolio without it. When you buy JIRA Core, you have only three…
Technical Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Makes it easy to collaborate but needs better integration with other tools

What is our primary use case?

I work in hybrid technologies. Right now I work in service management. Our software disc space uses JIRA Portfolio. I've got a DevOps team and a team that works with operations. There are different elements within service management that we use JIRA to build team plans.

• "The product makes it easy to collaborate even though it can use some improvement in that area."
  • "Some key features like integration, big data warehousing and data modeling need work."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for collaboration, then I would definitely recommend the product. It is one of the easiest and not very expensive. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate the products overall as a seven. It could not get a ten. Seven leaves room for improvement.
Learn what your peers think about JIRA Portfolio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CW
PLM Development at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
We no longer have to reconcile data or deal with differences in multiple sources

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is issue tracking and planning.

• "The product's centralized database creates a single source of data for working groups so no data needs to be reconciled."
  • "The product could do with more flexible reporting."

What other advice do I have?

I like JIRA portfolio the most out of any tool I use for my job. It is my most favorite tool. It was easy to get used to using it and I highly recommend it. Personally, I say: use it. Go for it. Don't bother using other tools. Realistically, it is good to look at the other options in the marketplace. There are many companies around offering add-ons, plug-ins, and applications that are quite good. The biggest lesson I have learned in using JIRA is that you should not start with Excel. It is a good idea to evaluate your business plan and look forward to growth by choosing the right solution.
AA
Software Developer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Handled SDLC from end-to-end and fits well into an Agile environment

What is our primary use case?

I am a software developer and we use this product for end-to-end SDLC. It begins with the requirements gathering, then continues with tracking features and planning our sprints. We also use it for tracking bugs.

• "The most valuable feature is that it fits very well into an agile framework, and it is especially helpful with the planning aspects."
  • "Converting a task into an epic is very troublesome."

What other advice do I have?

From a developer's perspective, this tool works fine and I don't have any complaints other than wanting to convert between features, tasks, etc, when a mistake has been made in creating one. The only advice that I have for people who are implementing Jira Portfolio is to make sure that they manage their licenses properly. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Owner at YggVal
A user-friendly solution that adapts to the customer's needs, but flexible add-on pricing is needed

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is to manage the work that has to be done, everything else is on a repository that is maintained by another tool. It's how the work has been designed at the beginning of the project. We have one repository where we store all of the requirements, the testing, and all of the activity trackings are done in JIRA. The deployment model was on-premises.

• "With JIRA, you can do amazing things by developing connectors, embedding features, and adding new fields to create new things."
  • "This solution is not able to be integrated with other solutions because you have to upgrade it and pay for more licensing."

What other advice do I have?

We are dealing with several products and clients, and each product has it's good points and it's weak points. I don't have an opinion because I think that a good process does the job and you can apply a good process to any tool. The tools are more and more user-friendly. Even JIRA. When you want to implement something, keep it simple and it will work. With JIRA, you can do amazing things by developing connectors, embedding features, and adding new fields to create new things. In the end, it needs to fit the process. If the process is of poor quality, then your tool will look poor. For the most…
CS
Co-Founder at up2metric P.C.
Our processes are more efficient and easier to be tracked which enables work to be more organized

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for organizing our projects and as a tracking solution for our software projects.

• "The developers can simplify tasks and each one of them can undertake a task and then they continue with development. Our processes are more efficient and easier for our manager and developers to track them. Their work is more organized."
  • "I think that front-end development is a little bit buggy in some cases. Some of the features take a while to respond and some need to be more clear."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely suggest going for it. I would rate JIRA Portfolio an eight out of ten. To make it a perfect ten it should have a better user interface, be more clear, and more responsive.
Agile Consultant at Capgemini
Enables us to track the live status of all the flows on one page and get a single view of our progress

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this program as backlog management using Kanban and Scrum and also to model service tickets.

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "n the next version I would like to see better reporting and safer plugins, as well as easier scalability."

What other advice do I have?

JIRA is a very flexible solution, so if you are a mid or small-sized team, it is very useful for the team. When you have a higher scale of work, I would say the portfolio management and the reporting need to improve. You either have to build your own solution on the APIs or you have to manage how you can configure in the current flows. My rating out of ten will be seven or eight. In the next version, I would like to see better reporting and safer plugins, as well as easier scalability.
MC
Line Technical Agent at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, easy to deploy, and has good integration

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to manage an agile project. We are putting JIRA on our backlog, and we are following the work in progress with the Kanban board. We have generated a lot of dashboard in-reporting with JIRA Portfolio to monitor the performance of our direction and our projects team. We have a license for 250 users, and we are going to get a license for 500 users.

• "The feature that we like the most is that JIRA enables modules. Atlassian provides a lot of products around JIRA, such as compliance for the documentation, BitBucket for the Git version. We are new to these products developed by Atlassian, but they can integrate very easily. Generally, when an editor is developing a solution, they think about integrating with JIRA. When we are looking for any other solution, they plan to easily integrate with JIRA."
  • "We would love to be able to have direct contact with Atlassian. Currently, they are not working directly with West African countries. We are considering using JIRA Align, but when we contact them, they say that as we are in West Africa, they don't directly work with West Africa."

What other advice do I have?

Doing digital transformation is difficult. It's not regarding JIRA. It's difficult to change the mindset of our teams to be more agile and to adapt JIRA as a new way of working. We have to change the mindset and the mentality of the teams with a new way of working so that we can move forward. JIRA will help us to be more agile because JIRA is built for agile teams. We had to work with a consulting team based in France to help us with the organization of the process. Atlassian doesn't directly work with West African countries. So, we had to work with a French company. I would rate JIRA…
See 5 more JIRA Portfolio Reviews
Download our free JIRA Portfolio Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.