Pega Robotic Process Automation Review

Offers all of the required features to build end-to-end process automation

What is our primary use case?

I have used Pega Robotics (OpenSpan) to automate many (~50) business processes in the banking domain. Both RPA and RDA solutions have been implemented using different types of target applications - Web, Mainframe, Windows.

This tool is very apt in Desktop Automations for creating user interfaces to display consolidated data, summary results, controls(elements) to trigger any automation. I have designed typical automation for Customer care agents that will automatically have a transition from IVR to a human agent, search for current customer records in different applications and display a 360-degree view of the customer in the context window.

How has it helped my organization?

If the underlying applications are stable, then we can expect a consistent outcome from the automation. The FTE benefit mainly depends on the process complexity and volume. I can say 70% success rate in the automation solution because of various dependency factors.

Automations built on legacy age-old applications always have issues because on inconsistent application behavior. Data loading issues, response time, concurrency issues are some of the very common challenges.

Mainframe and windows applications give very good automation outcome. Same with any other data files, web service calls, etc. Should be careful when automating web applications, if you design and develop according to the suggested best practices then probably less to worry.

What is most valuable?

Pega Robotics offers all the required features to build end-to-end process automation like any other similar tools. It's unique development style using data line and control flow line makes it easy to debug through the flow. Separating fine-grained processes into Activities make it design reusable components and easily do plug and play. Another useful feature in the suite is Workforce Intelligence for CRM. This is using Robotic automation and AI to understand how sales and services agents work so that you can identify top performers and plan optimization.

What needs improvement?

I have faced many scenarios in the business workflow, where a few applications run on the Citrix environment. That could be a critical part of the process without which business won't be able to accept the automation solution. Because of one small bottleneck, you will lose a very good candidate for process automation. Pega Robotics needs to improve in this area by any means. Other tools are using OCR technology and sending keystrokes to the Citrix window. To automate a critical business process I used Pega Robotics and another automation tool just for the Citrix part. Even though both they had enough licenses for both tools the customer wants to build it in Pega Robotics.

I have been working on this for more than six years.

Automation stability mostly depends on the performance of the target applications. As an automation tool, Pega Robotics is matured and stable now.

Scalability depends on deploying additional robots to perform the operations. There could be tight coupling with an underlying application you need to consider when planning scalability.

We get very good technical and customer support for registered users.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

An in-house team did the implementation.

Our ROI is an average of 2FTE benefits for each robot deployed in the organization. You can't count on this, it may vary considerably depends on your domain, process, application usage. There are a lot of parameters impacting ROI calculation.

More Pega Robotic Process Automation reviews from users