Pega Robotic Process Automation Review

It helped cut short the release cycle by almost 40% compared to the previous solution. It is still a niche skill and resources are scarce in the market.

What is our primary use case?

I used the product for around 2 years at a major customer in the European region.

How has it helped my organization?

1. DCO methodology helped reduce the development time. We could discuss the UI layout with the business users during requirement phases.
  2. It helped cut short the release cycle by almost 40% compared to the previous solution.

What is most valuable?

The case management and UI capabilities were the most valuable, though the integration capabilities were also quite useful. We also liked the DCO methodology as it reduced the build effort because some of the development (flow) was created during req and design phases.

What needs improvement?

1. The way integration classes are created could be improved.
  2. At the time when I worked, XML anyType was not supported.
  3. Rule versioning and deployment to enable parallel development could still be improved

We did not encounter any issues, but it is because Pega helped in defining the capacity sizing upfront. Also, the phases in which the program was executed meant that the load on Pega PRPC was slowly increased instead of a big bang. Continuous monitoring and capacity planning further helped.

We, along with the Pega support team, carefully planned the rollout. Once fully functional, we did not face any issues.

Initially, there were some issues, but it was resolved in time to help the client reap the benefits. Pega did provide good resources, timely resolution, and guidance in development (after initial teething problem).

The client used WebMethods OMS, but it was at distinct version which was fully customised. There was no support as well, and it did not fulfill the required needs of the client, hence the change. After evaluating a few options, Pega was selected.

The setup was straightforward as the team working with Pega support was quite competitive.

I was not involved in licensing and pricing, but it is worth the cost.

We evaluated a couple of options.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good, mature robotic process automation solution. Pega is also broadening its landscape by building on top of PRPC (CRM, EPC, etc.), and with a cloud offering available, it is a genuine contender to compete with Salesforce.

There is one downside though. It is still a niche skill and resources are scarce in the market unless big IT companies are involved. On the other side, involving trusted partners helps get the required talent pool as well as accelerators.