ServiceNow IT Operations Management Review

Ease-of-use, service style, and popularity make this an attractive choice marred by high cost

What is our primary use case?

ServiceNow IT Operations Management provides an ITSM (IT Service Management) ITOM (IT Operations Management) service for a client.

What is most valuable?

The software asset management features — especially around discovery — are the tools I find to be the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

In providing for customers, I think that the cost of ServiceNow is quite high. I think it would be good if they could offer an entry-level version or do something with the pricing. That would help quite a lot of customers at the moment. It can only be used easily by enterprise customers because they can afford the costs. The middle of a market and the SME (Small and Medium Enterprise) market might not be able to afford to use it.

It is not that I would like to see a scaled-down version as I do not know how that would work. It would be an advantage for the price to come down to make it more of a reasonable investment for small to medium-sized businesses.

I also think the ServiceNow app store can use a few more apps. The offerings are currently a little limited.

The user interface is okay. The aesthetics are not 100%, but it is functional. That does not mean it could not be improved.

I have been using the product for over three years.

The scalability is quite good. You can start with the basic product and then you have got the other functionality, which you can then buy and add-on in batches. So it is quite good in the area of scaling functionality. But I think they are continuing to develop other features, which is quite good as well.

Once I get more customers we do have plans to scale usage, and scalability in adding users does not seem to be an issue.

To rate the technical support on a scale of one to ten, I would give them a seven-out-of-ten.

I used another solution in this category prior to ServiceNow. The reason I switched is because of the ease-of-use and service style, but also because a lot of the people I speak to or the clients I deal with are using ServiceNow. It is partially because it is simply a more popular suite.

The initial set up is straightforward apart from the configuration on the API — that takes a bit of technical work. But the initial project set up is quite straight forward.

When we set up a project it can take about two weeks to complete the process for one client. For the deployment, we need to put in all the information into spreadsheets to push all the information into ServiceNow.

For the deployment, I used an external consultant.

The licensing is on a yearly basis. There are different contract types. You have got a yearly, three yearly, and then subscription-based licenses.

What other advice do I have?

For people considering this solution, I would encourage them to go for the developer instance, which is free. They should initially download that. They can use it on a test basis to get a feel for the product before buying a license and going into production.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a six-out-of-ten. Things are continuously improving, so my rating for the product might improve as well. There is no way for a product to be a ten because that means there is nothing left to improve. I would never really rate anything a ten.