ServiceNow IT Operations Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ServiceNow IT Operations Management is #13 ranked solution in top Cloud Management tools and #38 ranked solution in Infrastructure Monitoring tools. IT Central Station users give ServiceNow IT Operations Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. ServiceNow IT Operations Management is most commonly compared to HPE OneView:ServiceNow IT Operations Management vs HPE OneView. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is ServiceNow IT Operations Management?

Move IT operations from a reactive team to one that works intelligently for the business. Gain visibility across infrastructure and apps, maintain service health, and optimize cloud delivery and spend.
Deliver high-performance business services with visibility and AIOps.

ServiceNow IT Operations Management was previously known as ServiceNow ITOM.

Download the Cloud Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

ServiceNow IT Operations Management Customers
servicenow, TransAlta, NATS, Symantec
ServiceNow IT Operations Management Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ServiceNow IT Operations Management pricing:
  • "The pricing is high and may be excluding the small to medium-sized enterprise businesses."
  • "It has different subscription models."

ServiceNow IT Operations Management Reviews

Sirisha Tadepalli
Principal Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Great modules with good stability and helpful technical support

• "Their Event Management is very good."
  • "Service Mapping is a time-consuming process. The time and effort versus the benefits are very difficult to articulate to customers."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our customers, which are based in Orlando, Quebec, and Paris.

What is most valuable?

The solution has six different modules: Discovery, Service Mapping, Event Management, Operational Intelligence, Cloud Service Provisioning, and Cloud Insights.

They have a very good Health Solutions Suite.

Their Event Management is very good. So are Log Analytics and Event Management.

These three valuable features - Event Management, Log Analytics, and Operational Intelligence - all within their artificial intelligence solution, AIOps. It's very effective.

Log Analytics is very new. It is released in Quebec only. We are yet to implement it, however, in theory, it looks very efficient solution. Even Management we have implemented for around 20 plus customers and it is very effective. It's one of the best solutions in the market.

We also use Discovery and Service Mapping, which are both quite good.

With Cloud Discovery, we can discover cloud assets. It is very useful.

The solution is quite scalable.

The solution has very good stability overall.

Technical support has been helpful.

What needs improvement?

Service Mapping is a time-consuming process. The time and effort versus the benefits are very difficult to articulate to customers. That is one challenge we see.

If Discovery, for example, could be extended to other cloud areas it could be very helpful. Currently, it has popular cloud service providers like AWS, Azure, GCP, Google. If they can extend it to all cloud service providers and containers such as Kubernetes, it would be better.

In the implementation, we have encountered problems with the Ansible integration and Kubernetes. That is one area they can definitely improve.

Another area of improvement is ACC. They are launching something called ACC, Agent Client Collector. It is more or less their version of monitoring. That is not yet fully realized. It is not a complete solution. It is in its primitive stages. We would really love to see that improving and covering all applications in order for it to be a really comprehensive monitoring solution.

At this moment, we are not able to use it as a standalone monitoring solution. We still have to use other monitoring tools like SolarWinds, or AppDynamics, or something like that. If ACC is improved, then it will be an end-to-end solution.

The pricing could be lower.

We've been using the solution for about two years now. It hasn't been very long.

We've found the solution to be stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

O one of the benefits of ServiceNow is scalability. If a company needs to scale, it can do so.

Technical support is quite good. We're satisfied with their level of service. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

I previously worked with Remedy Orchestrator. In comparison, ServiceNow is easier to implement.

For a typical Event Management and OI, or Discovery, it will take from four to six weeks to implement.

Service Mapping is a long project. It depends on the number of maps the customer has, so it is long-term. If they have to cover all priority applications, it will be anywhere from six to eight months. That is a long process, and are no longer doing it as an implementation. We are doing it as regular day-to-day work, due to the length of time it takes. It requires a lot of inputs from the application support teams and infrastructure support teams, and a lot of coordination is involved. That is why it takes time. However, for any other product, whether it is Cloud or Event Management or Discovery, you are looking at four to six weeks depending on the customer size and customer environment.

We assist our clients in implementing the solution.

The cost could be lower.

For those customers who are already using ServiceNow for service management, for example, then it is just the license costs and no other cost is involved. In that way it is good. It is emerging as a holistic solution for enterprise service management.

The upside to ServiceNow is that everything is in one tool, whereas, with other solutions, you need multiple tools. If you compare that way, then, in the long run, this price is more or less competitive.

What other advice do I have?

We are managed service providers and resellers of the licenses. On top of that, we provide implementation support and transformation solutions.

For customers considering the solution, the first thing, they need to do is be very sure before implementing ITOM. They need to have a very mature CMDB, as all these modules, whether it is Discovery or Service Mapping or Event Management, all require a very healthy CMDB, with 80% to 85% of maturity. CMDB and CSDM should be added as a prerequisite. If they are, then the implementation of ITOM and the benefit you get from implementing these modules will be quickly realized.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

AS
CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Ease-of-use, service style, and popularity make this an attractive choice marred by high cost

• "The asset management tools are very valuable."
  • "It is a product that is familiar for a lot of users."
  • "The pricing is high."
  • "There are not enough apps in the app store to expand functionality. There should be more made available."

What is our primary use case?

ServiceNow IT Operations Management provides an ITSM (IT Service Management) ITOM (IT Operations Management) service for a client.

What is most valuable?

The software asset management features — especially around discovery — are the tools I find to be the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

In providing for customers, I think that the cost of ServiceNow is quite high. I think it would be good if they could offer an entry-level version or do something with the pricing. That would help quite a lot of customers at the moment. It can only be used easily by enterprise customers because they can afford the costs. The middle of a market and the SME (Small and Medium Enterprise) market might not be able to afford to use it.

It is not that I would like to see a scaled-down version as I do not know how that would work. It would be an advantage for the price to come down to make it more of a reasonable investment for small to medium-sized businesses.

I also think the ServiceNow app store can use a few more apps. The offerings are currently a little limited.

The user interface is okay. The aesthetics are not 100%, but it is functional. That does not mean it could not be improved.

I have been using the product for over three years.

The scalability is quite good. You can start with the basic product and then you have got the other functionality, which you can then buy and add-on in batches. So it is quite good in the area of scaling functionality. But I think they are continuing to develop other features, which is quite good as well.

Once I get more customers we do have plans to scale usage, and scalability in adding users does not seem to be an issue.

To rate the technical support on a scale of one to ten, I would give them a seven-out-of-ten.

I used another solution in this category prior to ServiceNow. The reason I switched is because of the ease-of-use and service style, but also because a lot of the people I speak to or the clients I deal with are using ServiceNow. It is partially because it is simply a more popular suite.

The initial set up is straightforward apart from the configuration on the API — that takes a bit of technical work. But the initial project set up is quite straight forward.

When we set up a project it can take about two weeks to complete the process for one client. For the deployment, we need to put in all the information into spreadsheets to push all the information into ServiceNow.

For the deployment, I used an external consultant.

The licensing is on a yearly basis. There are different contract types. You have got a yearly, three yearly, and then subscription-based licenses.

What other advice do I have?

For people considering this solution, I would encourage them to go for the developer instance, which is free. They should initially download that. They can use it on a test basis to get a feel for the product before buying a license and going into production.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as a six-out-of-ten. Things are continuously improving, so my rating for the product might improve as well. There is no way for a product to be a ten because that means there is nothing left to improve. I would never really rate anything a ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about ServiceNow, VMware, Lumen Technologies and others in Cloud Management. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AS
Senior Consultant at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees
A scalable and easy-to-use solution with a lot of online resources for help

• "The Discovery feature is the most valuable. I only use the Discovery and Service Mapping features. I am using the minor subscription called ITOM Visibility, which includes the Discovery and Service Mapping features. It is easy to understand and easy to use. It has a lot of documentation. You can find a lot of help online, which helps me in finding what I need in a rapid way. You can find videos on YouTube channels and a lot of stuff and information in the online community."
  • "The pattern part can be improved. Patterns are used in the Discovery feature. Although it is easy to create new patterns and modify the existing ones, it would be better if this solution can have more out-of-the-box patterns. In terms of new features, they can include artificial intelligence, something like machine learning."

What is most valuable?

The Discovery feature is the most valuable. I only use the Discovery and Service Mapping features. I am using the minor subscription called ITOM Visibility, which includes the Discovery and Service Mapping features.

It is easy to understand and easy to use. It has a lot of documentation. You can find a lot of help online, which helps me in finding what I need in a rapid way. You can find videos on YouTube channels and a lot of stuff and information in the online community.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for two years.

Scalability is one of the most wonderful features of this solution. It is easy to scale. You don't have to change any configuration in order to scale to another platform or another network. It is easy for users. We have three users of this solution in our company.

I can comfortably fix what is wrong. I open a ticket, and they serve me in a couple of hours. They understand what is wrong and are able to find a solution promptly. I would rate them a nine out of ten. They generally respond very quickly, but the response time could be improved.

The initial setup was quite simple. The deployment took about two months. The main and the most difficult parts are creating the right credentials with the right permissions and opening the right ports. After you have done these, it is very easy to implement.

It has different subscription models.

What other advice do I have?

In order to find the right solution for your environment, do a search on various websites like IT Central Station, Gartner, and Forrester to review what other people are saying about the problems and the features they want to be implemented.

I would rate ServiceNow IT Operations Management a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Cloud Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about ServiceNow, VMware, Lumen Technologies, and more!