SmartBear TestComplete Review
Our automation engineers can create tests more easily, but the code editor gives poorly formatted code.

What is most valuable?

It's cross platform automation capabilities specially ranging across web, UNIX (via putty), and other systems.

How has it helped my organization?

TestComplete replaced QTP as the preferred choice of tool for the organization. It is much faster, works better across technologies (esp. Flex based UI) and is better compatible with newer technologies directly out of the box. We could have our automation engineers create tests more easily. Also, we were able to set-up lab machines to enable distributed runs for more applications in a shared environment.

What needs improvement?

The code editor, though following eclipse-style, is still a work in progress and gives a very poorly formatted code once viewed via other editing tools like Notepad++. Performance is another aspect which can be improved.

I've used it for one and a half years.

TestComplete was fairly easy to scale once we had the licenses in place for the organization.

We used tech support for some specific third-party grids we had to automate. The support was average and we ended up creating our own automation solution for that piece of automation.

We previously used QTP, and later moved to TestComplete as it provided more out of the box support for newer technologies like Flex and AIR.

Initial setup was very straightforward. We did face some hiccups in license procurement however, once licenses were procured the process from there was quite smooth.

We had a mixed team. The implementation was smooth overall and requires a few skilled automation experts to oversee the transition/initial implementation.

We achieved ROI in eight months from the start of implementation. Get a good automation architect to implement a good ROI directed framework. It is very easy to lose direction during a mmigration.

• QTP