SmartBear TestComplete Review

We use it to do the automation test on our product’s web UI. In total, over 500 test cases are written and the automation coverage is over 80%.

What is most valuable?

The name mapping function to manage the objects across different web pages and the support for different web browsers are the most valuable features for us.

How has it helped my organization?

We use TestComplete to do the automation test on our product’s web UI. In total, over 500 test cases are written and the automation coverage is over 80%. This helps to reduce manual effort dramatically, and by using the same script, we can run the test on both IE and Google Chrome.

What needs improvement?

The scripts are saved as binary files on disk. This makes it troublesome to perform version control and merge it with the work that is done by other team members. I am not sure what the reason is that SmartBear chose to save the files as binary, but if they can change to plain text for the scripts in the future, that would be helpful.

I've used it for one year.

Some of the objects/parent objects are dynamically created in the web page. During the test, TestComplete will have problem to identify these kind of objects. This will cause a lot of false rejection and block the following test cases. Thus it requires some rework when running all the test cases as a batch.

I have not used any customer service/tech support yet. I cannot provide more comments on that.

TestComplete is the first tool that I use for automation on UI and I have not used any other tools yet.

It is pretty straightforward. Just by following the instructions given in the document and do the corresponding configuration on the web browsers that you want to test. However, we also encounter some problems such as the Chrome blocking users from proceeding because of an unsafe SSL connection, but we found a work around eventually.

We implement the automation by ourselves, not through any other vendor team. My suggestion is that you need to decide how to divide the automation work into corresponding components carefully. Otherwise, it will be hard for you to share the common scripts with other team members. Also, the code architecture design is very important as well.

I am not responsible with the licensing quotation/renewal, but the benefit that TestComplete brings to us is, apparently, acknowledged.