What is most valuable?
CentraSite for governance and life cycle management. It frankly fills the gap between IT and business by having approval and policy enforcement on each state and cycle of the asset from the moment it gets created until it is retired.
How has it helped my organization?
It becomes the only integration platform through which any external/internal data exchange does any web services. Below are more details:
- There are many projects in the organization which need data from external entities and all integration endpoints implemented using webMethods integration platform.
- Departments in the organization currently understand what to exchange and in what type by having an enterprise data model in webMethods integration platform.
- Business users are involved in any integration as approvals have to take place throughout the lifecycle of the service.
- Reports and dashboards give management a big picture of the integration usage and potential bottlenecks.
What needs improvement?
Rapid application development has to be considered, especially for UI, where user interference is crucial.
For how long have I used the solution?
Eight years using the following different product versions:
- webMethods API Management platform – CentraSite, Mediator, API Portal, API Gateway
- webMethods Integration Server
- webMethods Universal Messaging
- Terracotta In-Memory
- webMethods Business Process Management
- webMethods Optimize for Process
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
How are customer service and technical support?
Good as long the support request is clear and justified.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
Yes, Adobe LiveCycle ES4. Adobe LiveCycle is superior when it comes to UI and process development, whereas, the integration capabilities are less compared to webMethods.
How was the initial setup?
Complex. Lots of configuration parameters have to be set to guarantee a solid platform. Some of these parameters are not mentioned in the product documentation!
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
Always plan five years ahead and don’t jeopardize the quality of your project by dropping items from the bill of materials.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
What other advice do I have?
- Requirements for API life cycle model should be gathered carefully.
- Consider SOA governance and don’t impose lots of policies that restrict the visibility of assets/services.
- Always consider an enterprise data model for service integration and business processes.
- Define potential KPIs for process optimization during the process definition phase, not during the implementation.
- Consider In-Memory while clustering the servers and developing services.
- Consider an asynchronous integration pattern to guarantee the delivery.