Microsoft Exchange OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Exchange is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Email Applications. It is most often compared to Zimbra Collaboration: Microsoft Exchange vs Zimbra Collaboration

What is Microsoft Exchange?
Built to deliver the enterprise-grade security and reliability that businesses require, Microsoft Exchange provides email, calendar and contacts on your PC, phone and web browser.

Microsoft Exchange is also known as Exchange, MS Exchange.

Microsoft Exchange Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Exchange Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Microsoft Exchange Customers
Paderborn-Lippstadt Airport, Scitec Nutrition, British Airways, InnoGames, Osteology Foundation, Franz Haniel & Cie. GmbH, NTC Contracting
Microsoft Exchange Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Exchange pricing:
  • "Its price is very affordable, and basically, it is the standard of the industry. We have the Exchange 365 subscription, which includes the usage of Exchange Online. I don't know the specific cost, but it is the retail price of Microsoft 365 E3 licenses. Microsoft's licensing is not very easy to understand. Microsoft changes rules every other day, which makes it difficult for us to understand the licensing not only for Exchange but also for other products. It can sometimes be really complex to understand what you need to have in order to comply with Microsoft licensing."
  • "We are currently using enterprise licenses for the solution. They are different pricing models available. There are individual, cloud-based, and enterprise licenses all with different pricing models. The larger the number of users, the lesser the price. For small to medium companies like us, we feel it is expensive."
  • "Its price is fair."

Microsoft Exchange Reviews

HUGOMARTINEZ
IT Manager at a renewables & environment company with 201-500 employees
It has good integration with other Microsoft tools and allows us to retain and recover an email deleted by a user

• "It has a feature that allows you to retain an email and recover it as an administrator. When you activate this feature, even if a user deletes an email, the email is still in the system, and we can retrieve it as an administrator. It is a very useful function. We turn this feature on for some of the mailboxes because we need to keep all the records. I like the way emails are classified in this solution. It makes it really easy to take a look at the most important messages. This is a really good functionality. Some of the emails directly exchanged with you are marked as important and shown in one tab, and everything else is in another tab. We usually don't have any issue with Exchange. It can be integrated with different solutions."
  • "Its search functionality can be better. It is currently not really easy. It has the capability to search your mailbox, but it has some restrictions in terms of the number of results that you can retrieve. You can only get around 250 results. If you want to do a deeper search, you need to use different functionalities of the product. The policy that we have for handling emails is that we do not delete emails at all. If I insert the text that I am searching for in the Search field, it only retrieves a limited number of emails. To search for an email from 2010, I need to use different search functions to find what I am looking for. Microsoft can also improve its licensing for its products. Microsoft's licensing is not very easy to understand. It can sometimes be really complex to understand what you need to have in order to comply with Microsoft licensing."

What is our primary use case?

It is an email solution with all the capabilities similar to different email solutions. We basically use it for internal emails and for making reservations. We have some shared mailboxes to receive communication from general entities.

What is most valuable?

It has a feature that allows you to retain an email and recover it as an administrator. When you activate this feature, even if a user deletes an email, the email is still in the system, and we can retrieve it as an administrator. It is a very useful function. We turn this feature on for some of the mailboxes because we need to keep all the records.

I like the way emails are classified in this solution. It makes it really easy to take a look at the most important messages. This is a really good functionality. Some of the emails directly exchanged with you are marked as important and shown in one tab, and everything else is in another tab.

We usually don't have any issue with Exchange. It can be integrated with different solutions.

What needs improvement?

Its search functionality can be better. It is currently not really easy. It has the capability to search your mailbox, but it has some restrictions in terms of the number of results that you can retrieve. You can only get around 250 results. If you want to do a deeper search, you need to use different functionalities of the product. The policy that we have for handling emails is that we do not delete emails at all. If I insert the text that I am searching for in the Search field, it only retrieves a limited number of emails. To search for an email from 2010, I need to use different search functions to find what I am looking for.

Microsoft can also improve its licensing for its products. Microsoft's licensing is not very easy to understand. It can sometimes be really complex to understand what you need to have in order to comply with Microsoft licensing.

I have been using Microsoft Exchange since I joined this company back in 2008.

Microsoft Exchange has been pretty stable. The problem we faced was because we forgot to delete some of the rules that were created automatically. The problem was on our side.

We also have Exchange Online, and we have experienced an issue with it in the past. Microsoft had a huge outage about three or four months ago, and we didn't have any access to our email in the cloud. That's the only time we experienced a problem with Exchange Online.

We are a mid-size company with 350 employees. We haven't experienced any problems with scalability or faced a situation where we need to quickly increase the capacity of the system. The company has grown over the last ten years and has added around 100 employees. It has worked for us in terms of scalability, but I don't know if it works for companies bigger than ours.

We have all kinds of users. There is a mix of different functions that are using the system. Our core business is for operating power plants, so our employees are plant operators. Half of our users are plant operators, and we also have a mix of engineers, accountants, commercial staff, legal department, and HR department.

We have not contacted their technical support. We found all the documentation on the Microsoft site very useful.

I was not the one who implemented this solution. Based on my understanding from the technical department, installing it in an on-premises environment is easy. Creating or handling all the emails on the cloud is also really easy. The most complex process that we have done so far is migration. We have a hybrid environment with half of them on-premises and half of them on the essential line. Integrating these two environments was the most difficult task. You need to understand both environments to integrate them. We didn't have a lot of problems with this integration. It is a difficult task, but it is not impossible.

What other advice do I have?

Its technical implementation is quite good. It is stable and can be accessed through all kinds of devices. You can access it through a client for your mobile phones or computer. It performs pretty well. Microsoft is a market leader with a presence everywhere, which makes it easy to find support.

I would recommend this solution. I would advise others to also go for the entire suite of Office 365 along with Microsoft Exchange. I don't know if Exchange licenses are sold separately. If you are already using Microsoft tools, it makes sense to go for Microsoft Exchange because it has native integration with all those tools.

I would rate Microsoft Exchange a nine out of ten.

GY
Owner at a security firm with 1-10 employees
A reliable tool for archiving and organizing a large database

• "Now, we manage to serve almost 99% of the information."
  • "When we started using Exchange on the cloud, we had a lot of initial problems relating to our main database and we also experienced issues with the accidental deletion of inboxes, amongst other things. In fact, many of the files we had moved to the cloud had disappeared. There also seems to be a problem with the retention of information."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly used Exchange for sending emails and for document management. We also used Exchange to get information from a user's profile but we didn't use Exchange for filing.

What is most valuable?

Personally, I'd say Outlook is a good feature. We used it for scheduling appointments, for storage and archiving, so we could easily find old mail and documents, even ECF documents. A lot of people like using Outlook as a personal archive.

What needs improvement?

When we started using Exchange on the cloud, we had a lot of initial problems relating to our main database and we also experienced issues with the accidental deletion of inboxes, amongst other things. In fact, many of the files we had moved to the cloud had disappeared. There also seems to be a problem with the retention of information. For example, if you delete something, you may have a problem restoring the entirety of the inbox, so if somebody leaves and you want to backup your data, you need to download it to your local servers. This is a big area for improvement.

Currently, we are using Office 365, but we used Exchange for more than 20 years.

As I mentioned earlier, we have a very big database which can lead to some problems. Due to the algorithm, we tend to experience a lot of issues restoring and fixing problems. For example, we would have to retrieve all of the mail from our database and load it into a new database. We only had that problem in the beginning because of the algorithm, not because of Exchange. Now, we manage to serve almost 99% of the information.

We get our support through a third party. We have an Enterprise Agreement with Microsft but we don't receive customer service directly from them. Our third party company receives support from Microsoft, and when we have a problem, we deal with them; however, I've only used them once or twice. Other than that, my own systems engineer solves our problems.

As we had more than 40 users, we had four or five people who handled maintenance.

The initial setup was complex. When we set up Exchange on one server, it was very simple. Keep in mind, you need to be an expert to install the Exchange server because of all of the connections, the TLS-ing, connecting to the internet and ISP; it just wasn't simple at all.

Microsoft may tell you that deployment is as easy as " a click of the mouse", but this is not the case.

If done at the same time, deployment takes roughly five hours. After that, if we are migrating from an older version of Exchange to a newer version, it takes a very long time. In other words, migration takes much, much longer than the initial installation, which takes roughly four to five hours. When it's working, it's very stable; however, this was not the case 15 years ago, but in the last 10 years, it's been okay. When we experience a problem, it is strictly due to the algorithm.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on what the user's needs are. A lot of people can now use Gmail or they can use Exchange on Office 365 with a license, there are a lot more options available nowadays. If you're thinking about installing Exchange on-premise, on behalf of a client, a lot of people have now moved to the cloud, to Azure or something similar. If a client asked me to purchase a 365 license, including the Exchange server, I might decline. If they want to hold meetings or something similar, I'd suggest that they use a professional service like Gmail for businesses. It's a much cheaper option because a lot of people that work with Microsoft office end up buying one or two 365 licenses which include Exchange, so they use it.

Because I have a lot of experience using Exchange, I would rate it between eight and nine out of ten. It's not a perfect ten, but for our purposes, it was perfect.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Exchange. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
    540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    PM
    Research Analyst at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    MSP
    Quite stable, with an easy setup, and works well overall

• "It's so much of a part of what I do every day that I don't give it a lot of thought. It just works, for the most part, until it doesn't, in which case I call tech support."
    • "Exchange can be a little finicky, sometimes, or flakey. Last week, for example, I had gone into my calendar to check on some briefings that I had established, and then went back into my inbox, and suddenly the view had changed. I had no idea what it was that I had done, and I couldn't figure out how to get that view back. I took a productivity hit as a result of that, trying to fix it, due to the fact that it just wasn't what I wanted. It wasn't what I was used to working with. Two different tech support people had to work with me in order to get the view back to what I wanted just so I could be productive."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for work email.

What is most valuable?

It's so much of a part of what I do every day that I don't give it a lot of thought. It just works, for the most part, until it doesn't, in which case I call tech support.

What needs improvement?

Exchange can be a little finicky, sometimes, or flakey. Last week, for example, I had gone into my calendar to check on some briefings that I had established, and then went back into my inbox, and suddenly the view had changed. I had no idea what it was that I had done, and I couldn't figure out how to get that view back. I took a productivity hit as a result of that, trying to fix it, due to the fact that it just wasn't what I wanted. It wasn't what I was used to working with. Two different tech support people had to work with me in order to get the view back to what I wanted just so I could be productive.

The fact that I messed around trying to get that view back, and could not figure it out for myself, and it took two different tech support people to help me get back to what I had before, is an area of improvement. I have no idea what it was that I did that caused the view to change. All I was doing is going from the calendar back to the inbox, and it was somehow different. It may have been a UI bug. I'm unsure.

The second tech person that was working with me to try to get the view back the way I wanted it, told me one time his cat walked across his keyboard and it totally screwed things up for him. He had no idea what had happened, and he had to go back and re-set up a lot of configurations. That tells me there must be something wrong in the design, if small things can happen to set it off like that.

I've probably been using the solution, on different jobs, for about 20 years at this point.

I believe the solution is quite stable.  I don't recall it crashing on me, for example. That would be a big, "Oh my God, what do I do?" situation due to the fact that I rely on it so heavily. It's a workhorse for me.

Just that fluke occurrence recently around the views changing, and how the information was presented in the inbox, that's maybe a stability issue as well as a UI issue.

Everybody in our company uses the solution, however, we're pretty small. There are only 20 of us. I'm not sure how it scales, as we wouldn't need it to.

I don't work with Microsoft Exchange for technical support. I worked with a company that does tech support for us. In terms of judging Microsoft's services, I wouldn't be able to give any feedback.

I don't recall the initial setup being complex. When I joined this company three years ago, the tech support folks set it all up and I don't remember it being particularly painful.

I have no idea what the licensing costs are on the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I'm unsure as to which version of the solution I'm working with at this time.

I've been using Exchange forever as an end-user, however, I don't know much about the technical aspects of it. I just use it a lot. For me, it's always worked quite well, and because of that, I haven't' given anything about it much thought.

When it works, it's a beautiful thing. When it doesn't, you want to tear your hair out. Sometimes that's the price that we pay for the automation that we get.

I'd rate the solution overall eight out of ten.

SK
    Head Of Information Technology at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
    Integrates well, easy to use, but stability needs improvement

• "Microsoft Exchange is a powerful solution. It can easily integrate with Active Directory and other business applications. It does not require any training, it is flexible and simple to use. When comparing Microsoft Exchange to other solutions, such as Lotus Note, it is more straightforward for business."
    • "From a reliability perspective, they need to improve the search engine, it is not very powerful."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Exchange on a daily basis for our business. However, we are moving to Office 365, which means that this will be available on the cloud. This is also a part of the Microsoft enterprise agreement. We receive a lot of other support applications along with Exchange. For example, Teams is included and integrates seamlessly, and we can do many functions, such as schedule meetings.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Microsoft Exchange on a daily basis and it helping our business, we are able to integrate easily with many of our business applications.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Exchange is a powerful solution. It can easily integrate with Active Directory and other business applications. It does not require any training, it is flexible and simple to use. When comparing Microsoft Exchange to other solutions, such as Lotus Note, it is more straightforward for business.

What needs improvement?

The security is not the best, it is not able to filter some of the spam and malware emails that pass through no matter what security protocols that we have set. Recently we had two incidents where we had to stop the business for one day. I am not sure if it is a problem with our implementation, or is it a problem with something else.

I have been using Microsoft Exchange for approximately four years.

There are some difficulties with the Microsoft Exchange application. For example, it sometimes gets frozen and we have not determined the cause. When frozen we need to close it, and then again open it again. It takes a while to reload the application if the volume is high and when I have many emails. They need to improve on stability.

Many solutions have bugs and glitches and I do not think Microsoft can help it, it is a huge package and there are updates frequently. However, if one was to implement all the standard policies the bugs would be fewer. If I do not implement a certain standard Microsoft Exchange policy, then it should stop me. It should not allow me to do certain operations that would put me at risk. There should be fewer manual controls to prevent improper configuration.

The solution is scalable. We have approximately 300 users using the solution and there are some companies that have 10,000 users.

The support for Microsoft is very good.

The installation process was straightforward. There were not that many difficulties.

We are currently using enterprise licenses for the solution. They are different pricing models available. There are individual, cloud-based, and enterprise licenses all with different pricing models. Typically, the larger the number of users, the lesser the price. For small to medium companies like us, we feel it is expensive. However, for a large company, where they have thousands of employees the cost is distributed. We do not receive this kind of benefit because of the small company size. They should provide more discounts for the small companies because we do not complain or create too many problems for Microsoft.

For large companies that have 10,000 employees, the problems are huge and different. They use a lot of Microsoft support. Small companies that have less than 300 people should get a discount, we do not qualify for their volume discount that starts at 500 people. They should not put these kinds of restrictions on giving discounts. I expect Microsoft to come up with some different options for small to mid companies in the future.

We have evaluated Microsoft Office 365.

What other advice do I have?

Overall when taking into account implementation, user experience, the flexibility of the solution it has always been very good. There are more benefits than drawbacks.

I rate Microsoft Exchange a seven out of ten.

IC
    ICT Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    It has inherent scalability

• "The availability group settings are better, so it has inherent scalability. In 2010, they added several sensible rules."
    • "They could continue to improve the consolidation and integration of mailbox services to make them more flexible, easier to deploy, and more manageable."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Exchange mostly for corporate communication services—setting up an email box, calendar, setting appointments, etc. My organization is a very big organization. The user base is not less than 15 people. When I worked with Exchange at Starcomms on the corporate organization, we had more than 1,000. When I was at another company, we had a user base that is more than 60.

What is most valuable?

Exchange 2003 was a more closed environment, but they improved on it in 2010. The availability group settings are better, so it has inherent scalability. In 2010, they added several sensible rules.

What needs improvement?

They could continue to improve the consolidation and integration of mailbox services to make them more flexible, easier to deploy, and more manageable.

I've used it for a couple of years. I've used Exchange 2003, 2007, 2012, and 2015.

It's scalable.

When we've had issues that are beyond our ability to resolve, we've contacted Microsoft. Once we had a deep phishing outbreak that involved a lot of phishing emails, so I had to contact them and then work together to figure out how to stem that thing.

Setup is straightforward for administrators if you understand networking services and the need for an active directory service. Exchange is a site-aware service, so you must have a good grip on active directory services. You need a deeper understanding of the networking layer, internet services, and broadband before you can manage it on your own as a system administrator. These are services that an experienced administrator can handle.

I was able to do it all on my own. I have robust experience in hardware, installation and maintenance, operating systems, networking, routing and switching, security as well as database administration, and a little bit of user support too. I can also support the exchanges from the client side of it.

In terms of deployment and maintenance, I do need a support engineer just to help with the labor. I also need maybe other system engineers as a backup. Then there's the technical team. Okay. In a corporate environment, you have people to deal with management influence, IT governance, and all the business cases underneath all that. Then you have the administrative level, including the security admin, a Windows admin for the Java site, then you have the Exchange admin. On the support level, you have user support.

When I was working in another company, it was Enterprise volume licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Exchange is the leader in corporate communication. It has been quite a good service. I rate it nine out of 10.

AL
    Test Automation Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    User-friendly, scalable and reliable

• "For me, the solution is very user-friendly. I've used it a long time and I know where everything is."
    • "For new users, it might take them some time to get used to the product."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for emails and calendars and things like that.

What is most valuable?

It is a stable solution.

The solution is scalable.

For me, the solution is very user-friendly. I've used it a long time and I know where everything is.

What needs improvement?

For me it's sufficient. I don't see much that can be improved.

I'm not sure if the security is enough. That said, for my purposes, it's fine. However, I am aware there are always new vulnerabilities and security threats to worry about.

For new users, it might take them some time to get used to the product.

I've used the solution for as long as I've worked with the company I'm at now. It's been a few years at this point.

We have found the solution to be stable. There are no bugs or glitches. The performance is good. We don't worry about it crashing or freezing.

The solution has been scalable so far. We have no problems expanding it.

In our company, we have several thousand people that use the solution.

I have never called technical support myself. Therefore, I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are. We have our own internal team that handles everything.

I was not personally involved in the installation process. I cannot speak to how easy or difficult the setup would have been.

I'm not sure how many support personnel we require for deployment and maintenance.

I don't handle the licensing aspect of the solution. I cannot speak to any costs involved.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a partner so not like I'm an administrator of IT.

It's my understanding that the solution we work with is a company installation and is not on the cloud, however, I'm not 100% sure.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're on. I don't know the version number off-hand.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. we've been very pleased with its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Sabarish Natarajan
    Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Good integration with other services, fair price, and makes work much easier

• "It gives me benefit in terms of integration with other services such as SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, and OneDrive. It makes my work much easier."
    • "There are limitations in terms of the number of emails that can be sent in a minute, which makes it a little difficult for the marketing folks."

What is our primary use case?

I use it as a customer, and I also do implementations for my customers. I mostly go with hybrid deployments.

What is most valuable?

It gives me benefit in terms of integration with other services such as SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, and OneDrive. It makes my work much easier.

What needs improvement?

There are limitations in terms of the number of emails that can be sent in a minute, which makes it a little difficult for the marketing folks.

The products or the updates that come in are more frequent. If I want to move from Exchange on-prem to Exchange Online, there are prerequisites that need to be met. They always have prerequisites for the latest one, but not all customers will have the latest infra. They might have a six or three months old version, but the expectation is the latest one. This prerequisite is a little inconvenient for those customers who wish to migrate to the cloud.

The response time of their support can be improved.

I have been using this solution for seven to eight years.

I have not contacted them recently. I used to contact them four or five years ago. I would rate them a four out of five. One point is for the delay in their response.

It depends on the organization. If it is an SME, it is going to be straightforward. If it is an enterprise, it is going to be complex.

Its price is fair.

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend others to go with the complete suite instead of going for just Exchange. If they go with Office 365, which is a bundled service, they will get more flexibility and collaborative workspace. It will enable their users to work without moving around the apps.

I would rate Microsoft Exchange an eight out of 10. Obviously, not everything is 100% satisfactory, but there are a lot of improvements happening.

Hybrid Cloud
    PB
    Project Manager at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
    Easy initial setup but lacks online functionality

• "The initial setup is quite a straightforward process. I don't think it is a very complicated solution. Plenty of things could be more complex, but the ordinary, general settings are quite simple."
    • "In terms of what should be improved, they should probably move to a cloud option like Office 365. We would like to get this functionality without the need to deploy complex hardware and software solutions. This should be the next thing, making Exchange more related to Office products, which are more cloud-oriented, less on-premise or desktop-oriented solutions, like the direction Google is strongly moving towards."

What is our primary use case?

At the moment, our primary use case is mostly for mailing, but in the near future we will be more focused on collaboration, as well.

What is most valuable?

There is nothing special that I like with Exchange. They made a system that works in business. It is quite normal that companies use Exchange.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what should be improved, they should probably move to a cloud option like Office 365. We would like to get this functionality without the need to deploy complex hardware and software solutions. This should be the next thing, making Exchange more related to Office products, which are more cloud-oriented, less on-premise or desktop-oriented solutions, like the direction Google is strongly moving towards.

I have been using Microsoft Exchange for about five years.

In terms of stability, if you are a user or if you have a number of users, especially a big number of users, there will occasionally be some bugs in the product. That is a normal situation.

In terms of current users, I think we have about 3,000 or 4,000.

They are not dedicated solely to the Exchange. They are also supporting other software technology solutions.

My experience with tech support is that they are mostly good enough.

The initial setup is quite a straightforward process. I don't think it is a very complicated solution. Plenty of things could be more complex, but the ordinary, general settings are quite simple.

What other advice do I have?

My personal preference would be a Google solution. It is not a big difference. My advice to anyone considering Microsoft Exchange would be, stay with your product because switching to another product can be costly and a complicated task.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate Microsoft Exchange a 6.

It may be that some nice features are missing.