Microsoft Exchange OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Exchange is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Email Applications. It is most often compared to Zimbra Collaboration: Microsoft Exchange vs Zimbra Collaboration

What is Microsoft Exchange?
Built to deliver the enterprise-grade security and reliability that businesses require, Microsoft Exchange provides email, calendar and contacts on your PC, phone and web browser.

Microsoft Exchange is also known as Exchange, MS Exchange.

Microsoft Exchange Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Exchange Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Microsoft Exchange Customers
Paderborn-Lippstadt Airport, Scitec Nutrition, British Airways, InnoGames, Osteology Foundation, Franz Haniel & Cie. GmbH, NTC Contracting
Microsoft Exchange Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Exchange pricing:
  • "Its price is very affordable, and basically, it is the standard of the industry. We have the Exchange 365 subscription, which includes the usage of Exchange Online. I don't know the specific cost, but it is the retail price of Microsoft 365 E3 licenses. Microsoft's licensing is not very easy to understand. Microsoft changes rules every other day, which makes it difficult for us to understand the licensing not only for Exchange but also for other products. It can sometimes be really complex to understand what you need to have in order to comply with Microsoft licensing."
  • "We are currently using enterprise licenses for the solution. They are different pricing models available. There are individual, cloud-based, and enterprise licenses all with different pricing models. The larger the number of users, the lesser the price. For small to medium companies like us, we feel it is expensive."
  • "Its price is fair."

HUGOMARTINEZ
IT Manager at a renewables & environment company with 201-500 employees
It has good integration with other Microsoft tools and allows us to retain and recover an email deleted by a user

What is our primary use case?

It is an email solution with all the capabilities similar to different email solutions. We basically use it for internal emails and for making reservations. We have some shared mailboxes to receive communication from general entities.

• "It has a feature that allows you to retain an email and recover it as an administrator. When you activate this feature, even if a user deletes an email, the email is still in the system, and we can retrieve it as an administrator. It is a very useful function. We turn this feature on for some of the mailboxes because we need to keep all the records. I like the way emails are classified in this solution. It makes it really easy to take a look at the most important messages. This is a really good functionality. Some of the emails directly exchanged with you are marked as important and shown in one tab, and everything else is in another tab. We usually don't have any issue with Exchange. It can be integrated with different solutions."
  • "Its search functionality can be better. It is currently not really easy. It has the capability to search your mailbox, but it has some restrictions in terms of the number of results that you can retrieve. You can only get around 250 results. If you want to do a deeper search, you need to use different functionalities of the product. The policy that we have for handling emails is that we do not delete emails at all. If I insert the text that I am searching for in the Search field, it only retrieves a limited number of emails. To search for an email from 2010, I need to use different search functions to find what I am looking for. Microsoft can also improve its licensing for its products. Microsoft's licensing is not very easy to understand. It can sometimes be really complex to understand what you need to have in order to comply with Microsoft licensing."

What other advice do I have?

Its technical implementation is quite good. It is stable and can be accessed through all kinds of devices. You can access it through a client for your mobile phones or computer. It performs pretty well. Microsoft is a market leader with a presence everywhere, which makes it easy to find support. I would recommend this solution. I would advise others to also go for the entire suite of Office 365 along with Microsoft Exchange. I don't know if Exchange licenses are sold separately. If you are already using Microsoft tools, it makes sense to go for Microsoft Exchange because it has native…
GY
Owner at a security firm with 1-10 employees
A reliable tool for archiving and organizing a large database

What is our primary use case?

We mostly used Exchange for sending emails and for document management. We also used Exchange to get information from a user's profile but we didn't use Exchange for filing.

• "Now, we manage to serve almost 99% of the information."
  • "When we started using Exchange on the cloud, we had a lot of initial problems relating to our main database and we also experienced issues with the accidental deletion of inboxes, amongst other things. In fact, many of the files we had moved to the cloud had disappeared. There also seems to be a problem with the retention of information."

What other advice do I have?

It depends on what the user's needs are. A lot of people can now use Gmail or they can use Exchange on Office 365 with a license, there are a lot more options available nowadays. If you're thinking about installing Exchange on-premise, on behalf of a client, a lot of people have now moved to the cloud, to Azure or something similar. If a client asked me to purchase a 365 license, including the Exchange server, I might decline. If they want to hold meetings or something similar, I'd suggest that they use a professional service like Gmail for businesses. It's a much cheaper option because a lot…
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Exchange. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PM
Research Analyst at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
Quite stable, with an easy setup, and works well overall

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for work email.

• "It's so much of a part of what I do every day that I don't give it a lot of thought. It just works, for the most part, until it doesn't, in which case I call tech support."
  • "Exchange can be a little finicky, sometimes, or flakey. Last week, for example, I had gone into my calendar to check on some briefings that I had established, and then went back into my inbox, and suddenly the view had changed. I had no idea what it was that I had done, and I couldn't figure out how to get that view back. I took a productivity hit as a result of that, trying to fix it, due to the fact that it just wasn't what I wanted. It wasn't what I was used to working with. Two different tech support people had to work with me in order to get the view back to what I wanted just so I could be productive."

What other advice do I have?

I'm unsure as to which version of the solution I'm working with at this time. I've been using Exchange forever as an end-user, however, I don't know much about the technical aspects of it. I just use it a lot. For me, it's always worked quite well, and because of that, I haven't' given anything about it much thought. When it works, it's a beautiful thing. When it doesn't, you want to tear your hair out. Sometimes that's the price that we pay for the automation that we get. I'd rate the solution overall eight out of ten.
SK
Head Of Information Technology at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
Integrates well, easy to use, but stability needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Exchange on a daily basis for our business. However, we are moving to Office 365, which means that this will be available on the cloud. This is also a part of the Microsoft enterprise agreement. We receive a lot of other support applications along with Exchange. For example, Teams is included and integrates seamlessly, and we can do many functions, such as schedule meetings.

• "Microsoft Exchange is a powerful solution. It can easily integrate with Active Directory and other business applications. It does not require any training, it is flexible and simple to use. When comparing Microsoft Exchange to other solutions, such as Lotus Note, it is more straightforward for business."
  • "From a reliability perspective, they need to improve the search engine, it is not very powerful."

What other advice do I have?

Overall when taking into account implementation, user experience, the flexibility of the solution it has always been very good. There are more benefits than drawbacks. I rate Microsoft Exchange a seven out of ten.
IC
ICT Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It has inherent scalability

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Exchange mostly for corporate communication services—setting up an email box, calendar, setting appointments, etc. My organization is a very big organization. The user base is not less than 15 people. When I worked with Exchange at Starcomms on the corporate organization, we had more than 1,000. When I was at another company, we had a user base that is more than 60.

• "The availability group settings are better, so it has inherent scalability. In 2010, they added several sensible rules."
  • "They could continue to improve the consolidation and integration of mailbox services to make them more flexible, easier to deploy, and more manageable."

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Exchange is the leader in corporate communication. It has been quite a good service. I rate it nine out of 10.
AL
Test Automation Lead at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly, scalable and reliable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for emails and calendars and things like that.

• "For me, the solution is very user-friendly. I've used it a long time and I know where everything is."
  • "For new users, it might take them some time to get used to the product."

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a partner so not like I'm an administrator of IT. It's my understanding that the solution we work with is a company installation and is not on the cloud, however, I'm not 100% sure. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're on. I don't know the version number off-hand. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. we've been very pleased with its capabilities. I would recommend the solution to other users and companies.
Sabarish Natarajan
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good integration with other services, fair price, and makes work much easier

What is our primary use case?

I use it as a customer, and I also do implementations for my customers. I mostly go with hybrid deployments.

• "It gives me benefit in terms of integration with other services such as SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, and OneDrive. It makes my work much easier."
  • "There are limitations in terms of the number of emails that can be sent in a minute, which makes it a little difficult for the marketing folks."

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend others to go with the complete suite instead of going for just Exchange. If they go with Office 365, which is a bundled service, they will get more flexibility and collaborative workspace. It will enable their users to work without moving around the apps. I would rate Microsoft Exchange an eight out of 10. Obviously, not everything is 100% satisfactory, but there are a lot of improvements happening.
PB
Project Manager at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
Easy initial setup but lacks online functionality

What is our primary use case?

At the moment, our primary use case is mostly for mailing, but in the near future we will be more focused on collaboration, as well.

• "The initial setup is quite a straightforward process. I don't think it is a very complicated solution. Plenty of things could be more complex, but the ordinary, general settings are quite simple."
  • "In terms of what should be improved, they should probably move to a cloud option like Office 365. We would like to get this functionality without the need to deploy complex hardware and software solutions. This should be the next thing, making Exchange more related to Office products, which are more cloud-oriented, less on-premise or desktop-oriented solutions, like the direction Google is strongly moving towards."

What other advice do I have?

My personal preference would be a Google solution. It is not a big difference. My advice to anyone considering Microsoft Exchange would be, stay with your product because switching to another product can be costly and a complicated task. On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate Microsoft Exchange a 6. It may be that some nice features are missing.
See 9 more Microsoft Exchange Reviews