Salesforce Platform Overview

Salesforce Platform is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile Development Platforms. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure: Salesforce Platform vs Microsoft Azure

What is Salesforce Platform?
The Salesforce1 Platform brings together Force.com, Heroku, and ExactTarget into one family of cloud services all built API first to help deliver apps that connect products, users, and next generation experiences. Designed for scale and speed, it provides a fast way to build apps with open APIs, back-end services, integration tools, starter templates as well as powerful developer environments; there's no limit to what you can build.

Salesforce Platform is also known as Salesforce1, Force.com, Salesforce App Cloud.

Salesforce Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the Salesforce Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Salesforce Platform Customers
ADP
Salesforce Platform Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Salesforce Platform pricing:
  • "The licensing is per user per month, which we took out a contract on a long time back. It's really an okay price for what solutions are available and for how many features and what kind of functionality you get."
  • "It is quite expensive. Its developers come at a premium cost, which makes it expensive."

Salesforce Platform Reviews

reviewer1342554
Associate Vice President at a consumer goods company with 201-500 employees
Jan 26, 2021
Empowers our sales team with a common platform, but lacks a few niche integrations

What is our primary use case?

We originally started using Salesforce Platform for our sales guys who go into the market every day. They wanted a common platform that is scalable and easy to work with, especially for the clients. We took to Salesforce because it filled this need, and because it came with multiple apps from different vendors and partners that could be integrated with it. The sales team do route planning, meeting planning, and then they take a particular vehicle to particular retailers. Then they talk to them and find out their reason for taking or not taking a particular order, so that my marketing team and… more »

• "We like that the technology is very agile and flexible in the sense that there's a large partner ecosystem within Salesforce Platform. This enables us to choose from many different partners with different advantages, and all of it can be done in a plug-and-play kind of way."
  • "Although the platform is already set up for you, there's a lot of customization that needs to be done, especially for any new component we start using. For whatever solution we wanted, we had to think for ourselves and design it all on our own. And, unfortunately, there were some components that were not really mature in the beginning, like Tableau for example."

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend Salesforce Platform to others with no hesitation. For a PaaS, all the infrastructure was in place. But when you begin with a new platform, you have to start from scratch at level zero and then keep on maturing. Thus, my advice to my team and everyone else is: don't complicate from day one. You start, make it simple, keep on using it, make sure it's working correctly and so on, and from there on out things are very easy for users. I would rate Salesforce Platform a seven out of ten.
Natalie Wesnke
Customer Success Director at CloudChomp
Dec 3, 2020
Easy to use, good integration with different applications, and customizable to our business needs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is as a CRM. The goal is to create an easy and organized way of collecting and reporting on data. There are many pros and cons but overall, this is the best CRM that I have used. I have utilized at least five different CRMs over the last five years and although HubSpot was the easiest to use, it was not as robust as Salesforce. Salesforce inches above the rest as my favorite. I feel like some things are complicated just to be complicated and that takes away from the overall productivity it is creating for my team.

• "Better flexibility in editing emails created from templates would be great, and being able to add hyperlinks in emails for scheduling meetings would allow us to automate more."
    Learn what your peers think about Salesforce Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
    464,594 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    AnilKumar4
    Senior Developer at jarvis
    Mar 12, 2020
    Offers good integration and has good stability

What is our primary use case?

We use the mobile application, the Lightning application. We use it with consulting and integrating the different products like vCloud or integration with Google. There are some that we do production also. Everything is on mobile now. So we use mobile apps and then we develop those applications. It's a Cloud browser and device support that we are doing the programming. So basically now we are developing that in the Lightning Application, where we can. That is based on the event architecture and by the company's controller, we write those according to that. We develop the programming that will… more »

• "Features they are integrating to the other services."
    • "They need an easy way of getting details and then adding to it and then being able to do it in a more simplified way"

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the Salesforce Cloud App at an eight out of ten.
    reviewer1483014
    Coordinator of Billing Process at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
    Jan 7, 2021
    Stable with good queue management and good scalability

What is our primary use case?

As a project manager, I deal with many use cases, however, for privacy reasons, I can't really discuss them in detail.

• "The queue management of the solution is its most valuable aspect."
    • "The initial setup is rather complex."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure of which version of the solution we're using. We're using both Google and Amazon clouds, however, I'm not sure where this version actually sits and if it's on one of those. I'm just a user. I'm not an integrator or reseller. I'd advise those considering the solution to ensure that the integrations are strong. We probably would have had an easier time if our older solution integrated better into this one. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher, however, we did have some challenges at the outset with the setup.
    reviewer1313040
    Enterprise Solutions Architect at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
    Dec 11, 2020
    Responsive with good UI, but takes a while to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a support console.

• "The product is pretty responsive."
    • "If you have resellers or distributors, you just need to figure out a way to set up the system in the backend. Since every company is different, it takes a little bit of time to figure that out."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Salesforce. We primarily use the solution for internal use. We don't deploy it to clients. I'm not sure of which version we are using. It's likely the latest one. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten overall. It really is a fit for all business types.
    AmanSingh2
    Business Line Manager at Thomson Reuters
    Jan 29, 2020
    Stable and scalable with a very good user interface

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for customer invoicing. We also use it for telling the customers about the regional upgrades and patches that we're rolling out.

• "I'm not sure what the most valuable aspect of the solution is, but I can say that their finance and auditing systems are quite impressive. You can audit in different invoices right to procurement. It's all quite seamless."
    • "The solution offers upgrades at a slower pace. The solution needs to keep up with competitors."

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Salesforce. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're currently using. We're a sizeable company and have 3,000-4,000 people using the solution currently. We're moving towards a different cloud due to a corporate mandate we'd like to have the opportunity to implement it there. There's a lot of training that needs to be done to get used to the solution and to get to understand all of the features on offer. To tackle this, we have asked the task force training candidate members to get everyone trained. Getting a good handle on the solution is very important. Before…
    Kunal Verma
    Practice Director at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    Feb 21, 2021
    Good UI, great dashboards, and very easy to use

What is our primary use case?

I primarily just log into the platform and approve some of the entries which are there. I know there is a marketing aspect as well, however, I don't use it that much.

• "The entire solution is very customizable and you are able to add many functionalities."
    • "There needs to be more documentation."

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users of the product. It's my understanding that we are using the latest version of the solution. I don't know the exact version number. I'd recommend the solution. It's worked well for us overall. I would rate the solution eight out of ten.
    reviewer1498104
    SVP, Senior Director, Platforms and Delivery at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Feb 24, 2021
    Great dashboards, highly scalable, and overall stable

What is our primary use case?

We used it for sales and mobile access. We had to create mobile access for sales agents. We also used it for customer service and for onboarding in the treasury space with the nCino product.

• "We used it for providing a 360 view of the customers from within Salesforce. So, a lot of data got presented there, for which we used Einstein Analytics. The Einstein Analytics dashboards were really great."
    • "It is quite expensive. It has gotten to that point where it is a lot more pricey. It has kind of got its own proprietary language for development. It is probably never going to change, but if it had a more market language for development, it would be easier to find developers. They come at a premium cost, so it is expensive."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go with the base functionality first and then develop specific use cases for your expansion and customization. Try to leverage, as much as possible, the core capabilities without customization. Rely on configuration because customization is really expensive. The developers are expensive. I would rate Salesforce Platform an eight out of ten.
    See 5 more Salesforce Platform Reviews