SCSM Overview

SCSM is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Help Desk Software. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: SCSM vs ServiceNow

What is SCSM?
System Center Service Manager is a software product by Microsoft to allow organizations to manage incidents and problems. Microsoft states that the product is compliant with industry best practices such as the Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF) and in the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL). SCSM has integrated ITIL compliant fulfillment of service requests. Service requests are submitted by the end user in order to obtain information, access to a new application or the most common of all, password reset.

SCSM is also known as System Center Service Manager.

SCSM Buyer's Guide

Download the SCSM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

SCSM Customers
Fibabanka, UMC Health System
SCSM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SCSM pricing:
  • "Licensing can be complex and confusing."
  • "The price should be lower."

SCSM Reviews

Tariq Khan
C5ISR IT Consultant at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 24, 2019
Good flexibility and integration abilities but the interface needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use this for ticketing. Initially, it is just like ticketing but we wanted to have some change management configuration as well. The possibility for change management and the ticketing system are the two main use cases for this product for us.

• "A very convenient package like an all-in-one tool but it is actually five or six products acting well together."
  • "Resources for understanding compliance and relative compliance need to be made available."

What other advice do I have?

Before I was a consultant at SRB, and right now I'm working as a consultant and exploring additional products. Since the time before when the product was not that mature, I was not using SCSM for those few years. Now the product has been really changed. Especially the integration and configuration. And then also with the inclusion of Operation Manager and the Orchestrator. It is quite good now in comparison to the BMC Remedy and iTop. My advice to anyone considering the SCSM solution would be to figure out if it is the product for you by evaluating what you already have as a base and what you…
Khaled Mostafa Gaafar
ITSM & Project Management Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Nov 27, 2020
Good technical support and integration capabilities but it needs to be easier to create custom reports

What is our primary use case?

We primarily implement the solution to clients.

• "We've been in contact with Microsoft technical support mainly. After doing the research ourselves and troubleshooting, etc., if we can't find a permanent solution, we contact Microsoft to help us fix the issue. Sometimes the issue never gets fixed even by Microsoft. It can sometimes require us to reinstall the solution. However, these are very rare instances."
  • "One of the disadvantages in this product is that the reporting module is not very easy. It requires SQL development skills, which not all customers or IT professionals have."

What other advice do I have?

I'm an ITSM consultant. I'm an IT project management consultant and I'm working on Microsoft Service Manager and ServiceNow. I specialize in these two products: Microsoft System Center Service Manager SCSM, and ServiceNow ITSM. Our company is a Microsoft System Center Golden Partner. SCSM is an on-premise deployment. There is no cloud deploying for SCSM. We typically deal with small to medium-sized businesses. However, the product is suitable for all business sizes, including enterprise-level organizations. I'd warn users considering implementing the solution that there are some product…
Learn what your peers think about SCSM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
463,678 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1259652
Managed Service Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Mar 15, 2020
Great integration with progressive movement to the cloud but has limited features

What is our primary use case?

We have the product installed on-premise but we are starting to integrate some of the cloud functionality. We are a systems integrator so we deploy the solution for our clients. We're deploying it for some banks that are big companies. We're doing for some small companies that are growing to help them with their growth. It depends on the demand of the customer and whether the customer can pay the license that is attached to it. So if the customer can pay, we go on with the deployment.

• "Many more features than other comparable products."
  • "They need more integration with open-source products."

What other advice do I have?

Others that need this product that want to implement this product need to know what they need and be knowledgable about it. The problem we're having with the customer is they don't know what they need. After sitting with them we analyze and see what they need. They may not even require a lot of features in that solution which seems to be easy for us but when that customer is knowledgable even if we deploy the whole portions of the solution that person will not be surprised if something is not achieved. So I advise customers to know exactly what they need in each System Center Service Manager…
reviewer1259652
Managed Service Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jan 14, 2020
Easy to learn and use, and integrates well with other Microsoft products

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our customers. I have used 2012, 2015, and 2019 versions of this solution and have seen all of the different features. I am quite sure that I can do almost anything that is available in the suite, but I primarily generate customized reports.

• "SCSM is easy to learn because all of the material, including training videos, can be found online."
  • "Better integration with other services in Azure is needed because everything is moving from on-premises to the cloud, and as an integrator, we have to help our clients with the migration."

What other advice do I have?

Some customers have integrated this solution with InTune to manage the web part of it. The initial concept of SCSM was very nice, but after the 2012 version, they have been changing it and integrating it with the cloud. Major changes have been happening about every two years. As a system integrator, we are liaising with them to discuss ideas about what customers want and in what direction they are moving. My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to be sure about what it is they need and what problem they are trying to solve. Sometimes when we sit with a customer and analyze…
Olakunle Oredein
System Specialist
Aug 26, 2019
A solution that allows for easy remote upgrading of systems that's scalable

What is our primary use case?

We use it when we want to push out OS upgrades to our users around the world.

• "The remote access is one of the features I really enjoy. The pushing of email updates and things like that are very good."
  • "It crashes our client's computers. Sometimes they get blue screens. It would be useful if SCSM could check the upgrades or patches before we implemented them to see if they are going to crash a client's system. Or, if it does install, and the client's system crashes, it would be good if the solution could revert back somehow."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the private cloud deployment model. The advice I would give to others attempting to implement the solution is that you need to have a thorough, good understanding of the application, or else it may seem a bit complicated. Whoever is going to use it has to understand it or get some training. I would rate the solution eight out of ten.
reviewer1363818
Configuration Manager, MPE USARUER, G3, MCSD at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Aug 6, 2020
Provides the reports we need to keep on top of fulfilling service requests

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution as a customer to do what it was built for: to help us be more efficient in tracking and delivering our services.

• "The reporting is very good."
  • "The configuration could be easier."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this as a solution to other people considering it. But just as with everything and anything, people need to educate themselves as to the services that the application offers. It has to fit the need to be worth the cost and effort to understand. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate System Center Service Manager as an eight. It would not be higher because nothing is perfect and it does have some faults.
Basem Ismail
Associate Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Mar 16, 2020
A stable ticketing system but it is difficult to deploy and the interface needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

There are several common use cases for SCSM including HR onboarding, helpdesk ticketing, and collecting surveys from customers.

• "The most requested feature from our customers is the helpdesk ticketing system."
  • "The user interface needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Some of our customers prefer an on-premises solution but the majority are deployed in a hybrid environment using Azure cloud. This is a solution that I would recommend for people who need only the basic features and do not require much customization. Otherwise, I would suggest a solution like Ivanti or ManageEngine. This solution is good for some customers but other solutions are better for different reasons. I would rate this solution a five out of ten.
EddieShilaluke
Information Security Manager at Dmr
Oct 22, 2019
Good call logging but a complex setup and very bad patch management

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to log calls and also for change and patch management.

• "The call logging is the solution's most valuable feature. It's very easy to use."
  • "The patch management aspect of the solution should be improved. It's quite complicated and not user-friendly. If your systems are not patched properly, you are unable to pull reports."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. The product is very good, aside from the patch management. I'd rate the solution five out of ten. If the patch management was better, I'd rate it much higher.
See 4 more SCSM Reviews
Download our free SCSM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.