SmartBear TestComplete Overview

SmartBear TestComplete is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Functional Testing Tools. It is most often compared to Tricentis Tosca: SmartBear TestComplete vs Tricentis Tosca

What is SmartBear TestComplete?

TestComplete is a powerful and robust automated testing tool for mobileweb and desktop  applications. Quickly and easily create accurate and repeatable tests across multiple devices, platforms and environments – regardless of experience level. It supports multiple languages, modern control sets and integrates with open source frameworks and tools like Selenium, SoapUI and Jenkins.

SmartBear TestComplete Buyer's Guide

Download the SmartBear TestComplete Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

SmartBear TestComplete Customers

Cisco, J.P. Morgan, Boeing, McAfee, EMC, Intuit, and Thomson Reuters.

SmartBear TestComplete Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SmartBear TestComplete pricing:
  • "The licensing costs are in the range of $1,000 to $3,000."
  • "This is a pay-per-use service that is not expensive, and cost-efficient if you have a small team."
  • "The license price for a physical machine is cheap, and for virtual machine, it is very expensive."
  • "Our ROI is about $10,000 a year."

MM
Test Automation Architect at Watronix Information Technology Ltd
Speed, configuration consistency, and accuracy of tests with fantastic results

What is our primary use case?

I built it for a demonstration for my team and it's currently dealing with procurement as far as cost, et cetera. The demonstration deals with how the tool is easy to use for desktop and web applications and, of course, web applications on mobile devices as well. No mobile device applications yet. I was able to spend that also using the TestComplete cloud. Instead of building my own grid, I used the test Selenium cloud, which you could use selecting different platforms and different web browsers per platform and you could span them across multiple devices and that was extremely helpful… more »

• "In TestComplete, I saw a conformed package of a tool that kept everybody in consistency. The team was able to regenerate further tests without having to manipulate more code because the record feature is great."
  • "To bring it up to a 10, I would be looking for the addition of some key functional API testing."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is: If you're looking for speed, configuration consistency, and accuracy of tests with fantastic results, go get TestComplete. If you're starting with it, you'll see how much more you can expand on it.
Raju YN
QA Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy set up and test creation but the test object repository needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We have what we call a UK tax related application. We are using the solution to automate some functional cases of the application. Use case wise, it's usually used more on the accounting side, which is the main purpose of the application. With the available functional testing of workflows, we are able to have accountability there.

• "The reporting is ready to use and doesn't require any setup."
  • "The test object repository needs to be improved. The hierarchy and the way we identify the objects in different applications, irrespective of technology, needs adjustments. The located and test objects are not as flexible compared to other commercial tools."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If you compare it with competitors, the object identification needs to be improved. It also needs to ensure that going forward it supports new technologies. We are seeing a lot of new technologies coming up. It's important that test companies support these new advancements. If they do, then it will give testers a reason to try them out and hopefully adopt the solution. It's a win-win. The solution is also great for language flexibility. It's important to support a number of languages to help increase user adoption. I'd recommend this solution to other…
Learn what your peers think about SmartBear TestComplete. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AJ
Sr. Technical Manager - Testing Solutions at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A flexible all-in-one testing solution

• "TestComplete is simple, it's a very easy-to-use tool."

What other advice do I have?

We do a lot of consulting and training services for SmartBear. We try to educate the users in terms of the new features available in TestComplete so that they can do some smart automation. It's not just for automating some scenarios, you can optimize a lot of your effort. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.
    VolodymyrNabok
    Quality Assurance Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    Works perfectly with the CUTE application and great for Windows OS, but not other operating systems

What is our primary use case?

I'm currently are trying to apply it to our software application. We use it for testing Windows applications for CUTE, based on the CUTE framework. For now, that's all we use it for because Complete does not suggest any other options that are appropriate for us. By that, I mean it doesn't seem to work with Mac OS, Android OS, and iOS.

• "Complete works perfectly with CUTE. That includes all dialogues, right-click menus, or system dialogues, etc., which are handled well."
    • "The solution needs to extend the possibilities so that we can test on other operating systems, platforms and publications for Android as well as iOS."

What other advice do I have?

I'm currently working with the latest version of the solution. My advice to others is to just decide if this tool is usable for your requirements. I spent a lot of time developing some tests, but then I understood that we actually needed more platforms. That's why we will switch to another tool. That's also why it's important to check your organization's requirements. Otherwise, like us, you may need to switch. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
    Harold Rios
    Director at Finding
    Good automation and with an easy setup and a nice interface

What is our primary use case?

Mainly we use the solution for when we need to install or deploying in different applications, if necessary. We use it for testing for the most part.

• "The solution has a very nice interface."
    • "Right now, when you buy the solution, you need to pay for one solution. You receive one set up and you install it and it's just in that one machine. It would be ideal if they could offer one subscription where you can connect to different machines with a group subscription."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. I'd advise new users to take a look at what they need. They need to know if they need something that can test on desktop or on mobile, et cetera. This is a good solution if you need something that works with Windows, for example. I would rate the solution eight out of ten.
    Charles Netshivhera
    Integration Specialist at ABSA
    Good regressions tool, SoapUI tools, and cross-browser capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for functionality testing, API testing, and performance testing. We are moving away from this solution to use Eggplant Functional.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is regression testing tools."
    • "The artificial intelligence needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This product is quite mature, able to compete with other products in the market, and I would highly recommend it. Overall, we're very pleased with the implementation. My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to do a PoC and try this solution out. They can always reach out to me for help, and I can assist. The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that there is a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes with this tool, to make each customer's journey easier. This tool is simple to implement and easy to use. If you don't have much time to do a lot of…
    RN
    Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Stable and Integrates well with Azure DevOps

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for test automation. A few months ago we began working on a project, and this solution is part of an evaluation phase. We are trying to include the whole suite from SmartBear including HipTest and SoapUI Pro. Our primary use case is a web solution that we are trying to get working on the mobile solution, based on Flutter. All of our apps are built on Flutter, which is still very new for us. There is no support right now, so we are working closely with SmartBear TestComplete to integrate it. We have an on-premises deployment.

• "The most valuable feature is the integration with Azure DevOps."
    • "What is currently missing from this solution is better support for mobile testing."

What other advice do I have?

We haven't fully evaluated this solution, although I know that they have made a lot of updates since I worked on it the last time. The results of this evaluation will set the standard for other projects. We are creating the basis for everything. As things progress, it will be me creating the test, but it will be executed on several machines. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
    QA Team Manager at MTS - Mer Telemanagement Solutions
    Saves a lot of human resources by running full regression tests prior to each release.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use is to run regression tests on a call accounting system as a web application, which is running on a Windows operating system. The tests simulate user actions using UI and database verification.

• "The database checkpoints detect problems which are difficult for a human resource to find."
    • "Customer service and technical support responsiveness are high. Everyone is very professional."
    • "Name Mapping feature should be clearer. Whenever I use it, I do not really know what will work and what will not work."
    • "Stability issues occurred only when connecting to the SourceSafe. Sometimes, after getting the latest version, the tool hangs and it should be reopened in order to recover."
    See 5 more SmartBear TestComplete Reviews