Webex OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Webex is #4 ranked solution in top Virtual Meetings tools. IT Central Station users give Webex an average rating of 8 out of 10. Webex is most commonly compared to Zoom:Webex vs Zoom. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Webex?

Webex is designed to help companies improve communication and increase productivity with unlimited HD video meetings in shared meeting spaces.

Companies can use Webex, a Cisco product, to collaborate with peers, share documents and other information, create high-impact webinars and online events, and present dynamic online courses. It can be tailored to your exact company needs and can be fully integrated with mobile apps for iPhone, iPad, Android, and BlackBerry.

Webex was previously known as Cisco Spark.

Webex Buyer's Guide

Download the Webex Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Webex Customers

Seagate Technology, Kohn Pedersen Fox, World Vision International, Glen Raven, University of Notre Dame, CEV Multimedia, The Food Group, LUMEDX, California Baptist University, and Georgetown University Law Center.

Webex Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Webex pricing:
  • "Price is the one area where Webex needs to improve relative to its competitors. It's difficult to sell to small and medium-sized businesses (SMB) because of the license price."
  • "My organization took care of the licensing. I'm guessing they did some subscription cycle, but I used the free version."
  • "Licensing is subscription-based and the cost varies depending on how many minutes are included in the plan."

Webex Reviews

Ahmed Naji
Pre Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
More stable than most, but too pricey for small businesses and support is subpar

• "What I value most about Webex is its stability compared to other solutions."
  • "Webex support is not good. When we try to open a ticket, it takes approximately 24 hours. With Microsoft, we get support within two or three hours."

What is our primary use case?

We use Webex for our critical or government customers, and when we're dealing with complex network infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

What I value most about Webex is its stability compared to other solutions. Webex comes from Cisco, which is a good brand. The name itself is a selling point.

What needs improvement?

They have a feature that is amazing but it's not implemented properly. It's called Profile Insight and it's similar to LinkedIn. Before you join a meeting, you can see the background of the person. But the problem is the implementation. There is so much missing information. This could be integrated with LinkedIn or something so it can produce more information about the person you're meeting with. Also, they've been announcing that they will add AI translation since 2019, but we're still not seeing that upgrade.

I've been working with Webex for more than five years.

Webex support is not good and I can really only give them one star for support. Cisco is now transitioning from hardware-based infrastructure to software. So when you are migrating, you see the videos, user manual, configuration guidelines, etc. and it all looks simple, but when we start implementing, we face some integration issues. And when we try to open a ticket, it takes approximately 24 hours. With Microsoft, we get support within two or three hours. Zoom also has very good support. And unfortunately, they are selling the package of support separately, so we can't know what level of support we will get. But that's including with the license itself. So in this case, since they are similar to Microsoft, Zoom, Slack, and others, they should have the same support services.

There is some confusion for our customers who use Webex for the first time. Webex has two software products that are similar: Webex Teams and Webex Meetings. Webex Teams comes with the default license even if you didn't purchase it. If you have a Webex Meetings license, you get both. When they are installing Webex Teams for the first time, they are unable to join the meeting. When they install and they search on Google for "Webex Meetings installation," the first download option on the Webex website is Webex Teams. To join a meeting as a new user, you have to install Webex Meetings not Webex Teams.

We constantly deal with this confusion. It costs us time especially when we're dealing with a critical client who working from a remote site. So they install the first Webex and it does not work. Then they have to install the other one. So sometimes we have to send the link directly to him. So we only experience this kind of confusion with Webex, not in other vendors I believe.

Price is the one area where Webex needs to improve relative to its competitors. It's difficult to sell to small and medium-sized businesses (SMB) because of the license price. It's not very competitive with a product like Microsoft Teams because that is bundled with Microsoft 365, so the price will be lower. With SMBs, we face an issue when we try to sell Webex as a stand-alone product. It's easier to sell if it is packaged with Cisco infrastructure, IP phones, CallManager, and everything else. So they need to consider the needs of SMBs in their pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I give Webex a six out of 10, which I think is fair. They offer flexibility with every vendor, but there are issues with support and integration. Then there is the issue of price, which isn't affordable for SMBs.

AS
Consultant - Risk and compliance at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use with good stability and excellent audio capabilities

• "The solution makes it easy for us as a team to collaborate remotely."
  • "The solution should come as a big client for the system. It should be able to be used just like chat software when necessary, similar to instant messaging."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for any virtual meeting. We use it for web meetings that require audio communication, text communication, and video. Video is not essential for us most of the time, however. It's not critical to see staff during, for example, team meetings.

What is most valuable?

The chat functionality and the audio capabilities are the solution's most valuable features. For us, video isn't important as long as audio is good.

The presentation of the solution is very efficient.

The solution makes it easy for us as a team to collaborate remotely.

All of the basic features are fantastic. I couldn't rank them in terms of "favorite", and they are all pretty standard within any other similar product, like Zoom or Microsoft Teams.

Webex offers very good bandwidth managed tools. Even with low or poor bandwidth, the solution works pretty well.

What needs improvement?

Currently, the solution isn't really lacking in features.

We've been using the solution for eight years now.

The stability of the solution is excellent compared to other solutions on the market. The solution also works seamlessly with both desktop and mobile devices.

Scalability is fantastic. It's really seamless. If you need to have a big meeting, you can do so quite easily with this solution. It works well. It supports a lot of people at once. It may be that up to one hundred users can join a single call. We've tested the solution with this amount of people and it worked fine. However, largely, we wouldn't do that. We'd run something of that size more like a one-way meeting, similar to a webinar so that things are kept orderly.

I've never contacted technical support directly. We have our own internal team that handles any troubleshooting that needs to happen.

The licensing costs are usually billed on a subscription basis, however I don't know whether it's monthly or yearly. I also don't know the exact costs to our organization. I'm only aware that it's a subscription-based model. There aren't any extra costs on top of the standard licensing fee that is charged.

What other advice do I have?

We schedule calls often with this solution. We schedule a meeting and dial-in to the meeting. When I say dial-in, it's web-based or a data connection, not a traditional voice call. You don't need a phone to use the service.

I would rate this product an eight out of ten. Other products are also doing the same jobs, and run the same tasks. The only difference is stability. Especially when we do screen sharing, compared to other products, Webex performance is much better.

The solution is provided from the cloud, so we're always using the most up-to-date version of the solution. Webex ensures everything is always automatically updated.

Private Cloud

Other
Learn what your peers think about Webex. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PC
Program Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, but needs password protection for meetings

• "One of the most valuable features of Webex was that it was easy to use and there were no hassles."
  • "Webex could be improved by having a password-protected system. I don't remember there being any passwords for the meetings, but, presently, Zoom has meeting protection."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of Webex was virtual meetings. Recordings would go to the cloud, and since it was cloud-based, I used the latest version of Webex.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Webex could be improved by having a password-protected system. I don't remember there being any passwords for the meetings, but, presently, Zoom has meeting protection.

I used Webex from the time I joined my organization, in 2016, until 2019.

Webex is stable. Comparatively, it is much better—I've had no issues.

This solution is scalable. In my organization, Webex has been replaced by Zoom, so that's what everyone uses.

I did not face any issues, so I never contacted technical support. The only issue I faced was the safety aspect, on a personal basis, but besides that I didn't face any issues.

Webex was installed by the respective department in my organization's system.

I implemented through an in-house team.

My organization took care of the licensing. I'm guessing they did some subscription cycle, but I used the free version.

We have switched to using Zoom. Compared to Webex, Zoom is much more upgraded, but not as easy to use. The only thing about Webex is we didn't have any password features and all that, which we do have in Zoom. If you compare Webex and Zoom, both are good in their own rights.

Zoom's installation was easy—I did it myself and it took probably five minutes. I use Zoom for personal purposes as well as in my company. My personal one is unlicensed and just for meetings that are 15-20 minutes long. My company's version was installed by them, so I'm not sure whether it's an enterprise or free version of a license. There are over 10,000 people in my organization who use Zoom.

According to some articles I read in regards to Zoom, if I'm using it for personal purposes, it does take data. When I read the privacy policies and the terms and conditions, it takes all the data from your mobile or the laptop that you're using. So there is a threat, when you're using it for personal requirements, that it can take your data: the contact details, photos, even your bank details if you keep it on your mobile. So on a personal note, I won't use it. I have it installed, but only because of my organization's requirements. But if it's for a personal thing, no.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Webex a seven out of ten. I think I would recommend Webex to others, but password protection needs to be added.

Rahul Maheshwari
Transformation Program Manager at NTT Data India Enterprise Application Services Pri
Powerful with convenient recording feature and useful mobile app option

• "Seamless integration with Microsoft Outlook."
  • "No private chat option."

What is our primary use case?

We used Webex extensively, several times a day, for internal and external meetings as well as web and video conferencing. I'm a transformation program manager and we're a customer of Webex.

What is most valuable?

I really liked the seamless integration with Microsoft Outlook, so that I could schedule meetings. The Microsoft login was pretty convenient. The recording feature was very convenient and I had the mobile app as well which was an added convenience for me.

What needs improvement?

We had one problematic issue and that was with the recordings that were kept on the web. Initially they were auto archiving but then recordings were getting deleted after three months and we weren't aware of that change in their policy. I lost a lot of my recordings and I think they should have a longer retention period for the recordings.

A private chat option would be a good addition to the solution. If you're in the middle of a meeting and you want to have a private chat with someone, it can be a useful feature.

I used this solution for one year.

In most cases, the solution is stable although a couple of times we had issues with the audio conferencing feature for people who tried joining on their phones. On the whole there were no problems.

I believe scalability is good. We have 30,000 employees in our company and probably around 10,000 were using Webex. An IT team manages the solution.

I contacted Webex technical support after the recordings were deleted but they weren't able to retrieve them for me. It was very unfortunate because I had no other record of those meetings and they couldn't resolve that for me because the meetings had been deleted. That was the only time I contacted technical support.

Prior to Webex we used an audio conferencing solution called Arkadin. We only switched to web conferencing when we moved to Cisco Webex. We had also used Skype but it wasn't very effective. We would use audio Arkadin conferencing and if we needed to screen share we'd use Skype.

We are now using Zoom and it seems Zoom requires more customizations than Webex. Zoom required setting changes before allowing everyone to join meetings and the default settings were not good. Zoom does have the private chat option which Webex doesn't have and I found that very useful.

The setup was quite straightforward and convenient. We managed the deployment and setup ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good software and a powerful tool, I don't have any complaints.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

DP
Founder & CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Cost-effective, easy to manage and use, and the support is good

• "What we like about Webex is that it is a hosted solution, so there is no demand for us to invest in hardware, skill, or manpower to maintain our cloud meeting capability."
  • "Better integration with other solutions would benefit Webex."

What is our primary use case?

We use Webex for having our virtual meetings and we also provide this as a solution for our customers. On our side, we use it for both internal and external communication.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows us to operate 24/7, even in cases like the current COVID-19 crisis. It allows us to interact with our customers for support and for other activities.

What is most valuable?

We can host a meeting online from anywhere at any time and from any location.

Webex can be used for more than just meetings. You can also have a remote session or an organized event like a webinar. You can perform live technical support if you want.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with other solutions would benefit Webex.

We have been using Webex for the past eight years.

We are using Webex extensively these days.

It is very scalable in terms of the time limits for meetings. You can even say that there are no time limits, depending on your subscription.

We have 20 internal users and more than 100 customers using Webex.

I like the support and I don't see any challenges in terms of it. The solution is managed and maintained through the cloud and at any time, if we need any help or technical assistance then we have toll free numbers, as well as email addresses for contact centers.

We can get any help and support that we need, whether it is technical support or retail support.

We did not use another similar software prior to this.

We deploy this solution ourselves and it takes about 30 minutes.

Licensing is subscription-based and the cost varies depending on how many minutes are included in the plan. There is an unlimited plan available as well.

In general, this is not an expensive solution. The price improves with the number of licenses that are purchased.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering Webex is that it is a great tool for having meetings and collaborating with customers, suppliers, and employees. I think that everybody should use it.

Overall, this is a good solution and I recommend it. It is easy to operate, easy to manage, easy to configure, and it is cost-effective.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Other
TJ
CEO at a recruiting/HR firm with 11-50 employees
Reliable, with good performance, but a bit technical to set up

• "Doing presentations on the solution is very good. There isn't much they could do to improve this aspect. It's excellent."
  • "The initial implementation was a bit difficult. If they could simplify that aspect of the solution, it would be helpful for future users."

What is our primary use case?

We don't use it in any technical way; we mostly just use it for presentations and things of that sort.

What is most valuable?

The solution is consistent. The performance especially is quite consistent in comparison to other applications.

What needs improvement?

For what we use it for, I can't think of anything the solution is lacking.

We've been using the solution for a long time. It's been about five or six years now.

The solution is very stable. We have no complaints. I haven't had to deal with bugs or glitches. There haven't been crashes. It doesn't freeze. I consider it to be a reliable service.

If a company needs to scale, it should be able to easily with this solution. We haven't run into any issue on our end. It's been good. However, we only really have five users on the solution. We do plan to increase usage to up to ten users.

I haven't really had to contact technical support. In very rare instances do we contact them at all, so I can't speak to the quality of service in any meaningful way, unfortunately.

We're also beginning to use Microsoft Teams. We use them as well due to the fact that their pricing is a bit better.

The initial setup was a little bit complex. It wasn't exactly straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a WebEx customer. We don't have any affiliations or special relationships with the company.

The pricing is a little bit high for our company. Due to the cost, we've started working more with Microsoft Teams.

Overall, I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. The setup is a bit technical, otherwise, I would rate it higher. Also, there are other competitors coming to the market which may be a bit easier to use.

I would still recommend it to others though. It's a good product. It's very solid and reliable.

YS
Lead Presales at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to set up with excellent technical support and good stability

• "Cisco is a pioneer in this particular technology. The features and technology have been adopted and they have been integrated with other solutions."
  • "The licensing could be a bit simpler."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution purely as a end-user support. We use it specifically for virtual meetings,

What is most valuable?

Cisco Webex is definitely a good solution.

The product is stable.

We find the solution to be scalable.

The initial setup is pretty simple.

The technical support on offer is excellent.

What needs improvement?

The licensing could be a bit simpler.

We've used the solution for three or four years.

The stability of the solution is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have three or four engineers that work on the solution.

Cisco has very good technical support across all of its offerings, not just WebEx. They are helpful and responsive. We're quite pleased with their level of service.

We've used this solution for a very, very long time. We didn't use a different product previously. We do also use Zoom alongside WebEx.

The installation is quite straightforward. It's not a difficult implementation.

That said, I did not deal with a full implementation and therefore I can't speak to how long the deployment takes.

One engineer is more than enough to handle deployment and maintenance. With cloud-based solutions, they simply have to activate the licenses and download the agent. That's basically it. Cisco has made it easy.

In terms of the licensing part, sometimes we don't understand the product line. It's a major difference between Cisco and Zoom. Zoom is more straightforward in terms of licensing and how costs are laid out.

The solution is subscription-based.

The product is expensive. Recently, during the pandemic, they came up with some promos however, otherwise, in a normal scenario, it is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

IT Technical III - IT Security at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to install and use, and the remote control features are helpful

• "Webex is easy to use, even for people who are just learning it."
  • "This solution would be much better if we could install an endpoint and have centralized management."

What is our primary use case?

I use Webex for having meetings in the cloud. For example, sometimes I use it for technical reviews with my team, and sometimes, I used it for education.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the remote control. I can share my screen, or control other PCs, which are very good features. I can do all of this from home without having to travel.

Webex is easy to use, even for people who are just learning it. They can join meetings or share content with the click of a link.

What needs improvement?

This solution would be much better if we could install an endpoint and have centralized management. This would allow me to subscribe, push an endpoint to the client, and then control these points.

I would like to see the inclusion of security agents, for example from McAfee or Symantec, which can scan the communication for threats. This would help avoid problems if a user has malware on their machine. Webex would also be able to scan for malicious files.

I have been using Webex for three years.

The stability is very good and Cisco is doing a great job with it. We use it on a regular basis.

This is a scalable product. In the past three years, I have not faced any issues related to scalability.

I have been in touch with Cisco support and they are very good. For enterprise-level organizations, I find them very good.

I have also used GoToMeeting and Zoom. I found that Webex is easier to use than these other products.

This cloud-based solution is very easy to install, with only a single click.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is simply that if this product fits the requirements then people should just start using it. It is very easy to use and can't be complicated, even for non-professional users.

Product Categories
Virtual Meetings
Download our free Webex Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.