webMethods Integration Server Overview

webMethods Integration Server is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top ESB tools. It is most often compared to Mule ESB: webMethods Integration Server vs Mule ESB

What is webMethods Integration Server?

The award-winning webMethods Integration Server, our Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), is a complete enterprise application integration solution. It's standards-based so it "speaks" any technology. You can integrate any technology from any vendor: ERP systems, databases, mainframes and legacy apps. SaaS platforms, Web services, JMS messaging systems and packaged apps.

webMethods Integration Server Buyer's Guide

Download the webMethods Integration Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: March 2021

webMethods Integration Server Customers

Fujitsu, Coca Cola, ING, Credit Suisse, Electrolux, GTA, CosmosDirekt

webMethods Integration Server Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Siva Subrahmanyam Chavali
Lead Developer - webMethods, Oracle SOA Suite at American Electric Power
Feb 11, 2019
Easier admin and simple to learn for Java users

What is our primary use case?

Traditional ESB solutions using multiple adapters API development and management.

How has it helped my organization?

The time to market is relatively less. It's simple to learn for Java users. Its administration is easier. Extensive toolset: out-of-the-box libraries support. DevOps could be better.

What is most valuable?

API development Traditional ESB development B2B development.

What needs improvement?

DevOps support Java services debugging.

More than five years.
Ivan Herlambang
Integration Engineer at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Dec 20, 2018
Integration Server and Universal messaging create an efficient development phase, enhance agility

What is our primary use case?

I've been developing with SAG webMethods in Telco industries for integrating provisioning (CRM) end-to-end Billing, BSS and OSS, Banks/Insurance/Finance integrating bancassurance, provisioning, Switching&Allocation and Government Instance (Oil and gas) integrating B2B oil company to government reporting.

• "It's obvious that the heart of the product lies here. It's comprised of all aspects of ESB (Enterprise Gateway, Adapter, TN, Java) and BPM (task, rules engine)."
  • "t doesn't represent OOP very well, just a method and proprietary interface called IData."

What other advice do I have?

I have to say that all SoftwareAG products are tightly proprietary, which means you can't just download and install for study purposes or to play around with them. You have to call their partner/product representative just to download the trial, which is quite different from their competitors. That makes the product unfamiliar to mid-low enterprises. Also, their products are "componentized" in terms of licensing and tightly coupled, which means that some components may be licensed while some are a prerequisite to other components. So it could be that you have to buy two to get one and a half…
Learn what your peers think about webMethods Integration Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: March 2021.
475,705 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RA
SrSoftwaDev
Sr. Software Developer | Systems Integration Specialist | Project Manager | EDI Technical Lead at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Aug 6, 2018
Provides a reusable code that we can replicate for any new interfaces

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for managing secure file transfers for the company.

• "We have a reusable code that we can replicate for any new interfaces."
  • "We got the product via a reseller, and the support from the reseller has been less than desirable."

What other advice do I have?

Look at the stability of the company, and also take a close look at the pricing. Lower pricing doesn't necessarily mean it's a better product. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Price * Features * Support.
it_user872700
Lead Solutions Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 23, 2018
Flow language is a better and more flexible debugging tool

What is our primary use case?

Used for intra-company application-to-application integration and for intercompany B2B integration (order to cash, procure payment, HR, and banking functions).

How has it helped my organization?

WM is an enterprise bus which is used for all integrations, bringing all message transfers into one application, and making monitoring and integration of applications easy.

What is most valuable?

The main assets are its  flow language debugging Broker.  Flow language is far better and more flexible for debugging.

What needs improvement?

Broker Trading partners Portal

More than five years.
Mayank Tripathi
Senior Associate at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
May 21, 2018
MFT component handles files efficiently and can be automated using scheduling

What is our primary use case?

webMethods, in my current client's environment, is used to provide solutions based on SOA (web services) and BPM (Business Process Management).

• "The MFT component of webMethods, for example, is easy to set up and convenient to use. It handles files very efficiently and it is easy to automate tasks with complex schedules. Monitoring is centralized to MWS which can be used to monitor other products as well (Trading Networks, BPM, MFT, etc.)"
  • "Documentation needs tuning. There is a lot of dependency with SoftwareAG. Even with the documentation at hand, you can struggle to implement scenarios without SAG’s help. By contrast, IBM’s documentation is self-explanatory, in my opinion."
it_user836433
Senior Application Specialist at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Mar 19, 2018
Easy development of integration and transformation applications

What is our primary use case?

This is a middleware tool from Software AG, so when there is a need for EAI/ESB, or B2B; the use cases and implementations are plenty and can vary according to business and enterprise architecture. For example, an internal application like SAP sends data which is received and transformed by webMethods to EDI, XML, or another user-requested format, and sent to an external business partner (via jms/FTP/WS call).

How has it helped my organization?

One to many, or many to one transformation and delivery is the simplest example.

What is most valuable?

Integration Transformation Easy development Connectivity and adapters The variety of tools that are part of the webMethods product suite

One to three years. …
it_user831780
System Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 18, 2018
Eases building of interfaces for developers and integrating with numerous applications

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the webMethods platform is to communicate with multiple applications and integrate them. webMethods provides business process integration, B2B partner integration, and also uses Web services to connect software applications. My client acquired another company and we are integrating the partners of the acquired company with their clients, using various data communication standards like EDI, EDIFACT, and Rosettanet messages. In my previous project we used it to bridge communications between a front-end application and the back-end, connecting them with Web services through… more »

• "Application integration, business process integration, and B2B partner integration are valuable. But among these, I feel B2B partner integration is the most valuable. This module integrates two business partners and exchanges data through electronic data interchange messages in the form of specific standards, without any manual process needed."
  • "I feel comfortable using this product with its ease of building interfaces for developers. This is a better integration tool for integrating with various applications like Oracle, Salesforce, mainframes, etc. It works fine in the integration of legacy software as well."
  • "When migration happens from the one release to an upgraded release from Software AG, many of the existing services are deprecated and developers have to put in effort testing and redeveloping some of the services. It would be better that upgrade releases took care to support the lower-level versions of webMethods."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to 10, I would rate this product an eight. I feel comfortable using this product with its ease of building interfaces for developers. This is a better integration tool for integrating with various applications like Oracle, Salesforce, mainframes, etc. It works fine in the integration of legacy software as well. I have been using this solution for two years and four months and I haven't had any difficulty using it for building the interfaces and connecting various business processes, once I had acquired basic knowledge of the solution.
it_user832680
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 18, 2018
Its core Web-based integrations are the most efficient and robust, but stability needs work

What is our primary use case?

webMethods is primarily used to integrate applications. While one can always do the same by building APIs (Java, .NET, etc.), webMethods provides a robust, scalable, and easy to manage platform to do so. The need is primarily felt when integrating multiple application for a large enterprise. To list a few, one can use webMethods to integrate web-based, file-based, database-based applications. Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg. It has multiple modules for specific integration types, like a Trading Networks module for business to business integrations, business process models for… more »

• "Given that you have one integration API in place, it takes very minimal effort to scale it to any other application that might want to use the same. Its flow-based development environment is a breeze and makes it really easy to re-use most of the existing components and build up a new API."
  • "It’s fairly easy to view, move, and mange access across different components. Different component types are categorized and can be viewed in a web based administration console."
  • "I would say the core Web-based integrations work the best. They are the most efficient and robust implementations one can do with webMethods."
  • "The stability of the various modules of the product suite have been a bit of a concern lately. Though their support team is always easy to reach out to, I would prefer it not come to that."
it_user831792
IT Delivery Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Mar 18, 2018
The Insight feature is valuable as a monitoring and debugging tool

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is to provide ESB for legacy and SOA services, Business Process Management with BPMS and API Gateway for external partners.

• "Best feature is Insight for monitoring, and as a debugging tool. It has saved us a lot of time during crisis situations."
  • "The product needs to be improved in a few ways. First, they need to stabilize the components of the whole platform across versions. Also, they should stop replacing old components with brand new ones and, rather, improve by evolution."
Srinu Simhadri
Software Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 14, 2018
Most of the work in our organization can be more easily done using the tool

What is our primary use case?

We develop EAI applications using webMethods using broker, TN, and IS.  We use a Publish/Subscribe mechanism in every interface which we develop, because we have found this approach to be the best for every scenario.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps a lot. Most of the work can be more easily done by using webMethods compared to other tools.

What is most valuable?

Broker and UM are the best.

What needs improvement?

Large file handling is pretty hard comparatively to other middleware tools.

Three to five years.

In our organization, we use many middleware tools. Out of all them, I found webMethods is the most efficient.
it_user803262
Senior Consultant
Mar 8, 2018
Enables communication between internal systems and third-party operators but stability needs improvement

• "webMethods platform is used to build an EAI platform, enabling communication between many internal systems and third-party operators."
  • "Business monitoring (BAM) needs improvement because the analytics and prediction module very often has performance problems."
  • "This product has too many gaps. You find them after update installations. This should be covered by automatic testing."

What other advice do I have?

I think this is a very good and mature solution, but you have to be aware of the pricing. You can use an open-source solution and spend the money saved on licensing for a custom implementation.
it_user742995
Analyste Developpeur/Backup Chef de projet TIBCO at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Sep 26, 2017
Facilitates communication among many applications and is easy to use

What other advice do I have?

Product is easy to use and work on, very interesting and very helpful.
it_user740454
WebMethods / Java Developer at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Sep 25, 2017
It provides one common platform to work with multiple systems

• "How simple it is to create new solutions."
  • "In terms of scale, I would give it a four out of 10."
Technica3449
Technical Architect
Integration Server and Trading Networks Server create a very good platform

• "They are the building blocks of EAI in SAG products, and they offer a very good platform."
  • "This product is for larger companies. Compared to TIBCO I think webMethods is better in terms of ease of use and support."

What other advice do I have?

Upgrade to recent versions has improved things considerably compared to older versions. This product is for larger companies. Compared to TIBCO I think webMethods is better in terms of ease of use and support.
it_user741015
Technology Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 25, 2017
Reports and dashboards give management a big picture of the integration usage and potential bottlenecks

• "It frankly fills the gap between IT and business by having approval and policy enforcement on each state and cycle of the asset from the moment it gets created until it is retired."
  • "Rapid application development has to be considered, especially for UI, where user interference is crucial."

What other advice do I have?

* Requirements for API life cycle model should be gathered carefully. * Consider SOA governance and don’t impose lots of policies that restrict the visibility of assets/services. * Always consider an enterprise data model for service integration and business processes. * Define potential KPIs for process optimization during the process definition phase, not during the implementation. * Consider In-Memory while clustering the servers and developing services. * Consider an asynchronous integration pattern to guarantee the delivery.
it_user605286
User at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 21, 2017
It can integrate and manage file transfers, partner management, and logging mechanisms

• "It is a bundled product stack for A2A and B2B usage. It is one of the best products which I have used during my integration career."
  • "Need to see more API portal features like monetizing APIs and private cloud readiness."

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product stack.
Senthil Vasan
Associate Vice President at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 18, 2017
Has an ubiquitous nature to talk to various technology platforms. An improvement is needed in its documentation.

• "Ease of implementation and flexibility to hold the business logic are the most valuable features."
  • "wM SAP Adapter User Guide - Example, like Message Broker setup was unclear, leading to issues during Testing and we had refer the internet forums to understand that there is a Message Broker Cleanup utility and that needs to be setup as well."

What other advice do I have?

Put the business first, consider the business architecture and requirements before deciding to go with webMethods. Today, there are multiple open-source, cheaper solutions like Talend available and we can consider those as well.
Walter Ebeling
Senior Vice President Global IT Services at Kühne + Nagel (AG & Co.) KG
Jul 11, 2017
webMethods provides the ESB backbone for us since more than 8 years without any hick ups

• "High throughput and excellent scalability."
  • "Forced migration from MessageBroker to Universal Messaging requires large scale reimplementation for JMS."

What other advice do I have?

It's a rather mature solution with lot's of design choices we would not accept in 2017. We are in fact considering to leave to other products.
DanielM
Manager HRO Application Development at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Sep 29, 2015
It allows continuous integration with a deployment engine and dependencies, resolved and centralized in the server as a repository, but it lacks a Data Value Repository tool.
Guillermo Lopez Felipe
Responsible BPM Competence Centre with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 17, 2014
webMethods is the best integration tool in the current market but the Task Engine and Optimize have room for improvement

What is most valuable?

Integration Layer

How has it helped my organization?

Transform emails flow, control flow and measure in a insurance company

What needs improvement?

Task Engine and Optimize (BAM)

5 years (current)

No, stability is pseudo-perfect

Yes, scalability is not the best capability of this product

Customer Service: Basically ok.Technical Support: Great

No, I didn't. All solutions have their problems.

Complex, learning curve is very high.

Product Categories
ESB
Download our free webMethods Integration Server Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.