Hyland OnBase Review

It is modular, and enabled us to build pipeline management, sales workflow, and supporting reports.

What is most valuable?

I like the flexibility and its modular nature that allows us to create solutions that meet our business needs. I think of OnBase as a utility player. It’s not built for a specific industry or function. If you are creative and use the myriad of tools, such APIs and ShareBase, you can support/facilitate almost any business process with it.

How has it helped my organization?

We weren’t big enough or complex enough to purchase a CRM. We used this tool to build pipeline management, sales workflow, and supporting reports.

What needs improvement?

As the system grows in terms of number of modules, features, and functionality, options can be confusing and they can conflict with other options that you enable. Although it is better than it was, the upgrade process still presents a challenge. Because of the modular nature of this tool, you may need to package multiple installers to complete the upgrade process.

We have used this solution for 11 years.

We rarely have stability issues. We use Hyland Global Services.

We have not had any scalability issues.

Technical support is good. Like any vendor, you need to put some pressure on them occasionally.

We did not have a previous solution. The first company I worked for moved from a paper-based system to imaging. My current company relied on shared drives before this system.

It’s really just a set of tools. I’ve seen too many implementations that didn’t have the right people involved. The system was set up to fail, and the end users had difficulty finding and storing documents. Users think they have a bad system, but the problem was caused by a poor configuration.

It’s very modular. With every incremental implementation, there will probably be additional license fees.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have the right kind of person on your team with business knowledge and technical aptitude. Make sure you learn the toolset before you dive into the configuration.