IBM BPM Review

Its ease of use and off-the-shelf functionality made us adopt this solution

What is our primary use case?

We are consultants and integrators. We are also a partner of IBM. We implement IBM BPM in financial institutions for automatic support, process automation support, process digitalization, and process management. Our business cases are all around financial markets.

What is most valuable?

One of the reasons for adopting this solution ten years ago was its ease of use. It had a lot of off-the-shelf functionality, and it did not need to be developed specifically for the project that we were implementing. That was the main reason for adopting it in the beginning.

What needs improvement?

IBM BPM lacks openness, that is, the ability to become open for new options in terms of APIs, front-end development, and ecosystem. IBM BPM has been quite closed.

One of the main improvements would be to somehow embed the rules engine into IBM BPM. Merging IBM BRMS and the rules engine with IBM BPM would be helpful. If there was some simpler way to define rules without having to put IBM BRMS on top of it, it would be good. It's something that we can get out of Camunda but not out of IBM BPM.

I have been using IBM BPM for around ten years.

It is quite resilient to failure. It's a good solution in this sense.

It is quite scalable.

For common day-by-day support, they are good. For things that are a little bit more complicated and require highly-skilled knowledge, it can become complex and difficult to obtain support.

The initial setup is complex. It takes several months, and it requires expertise from IBM technicians most of the time.

Its initial setup could be improved. If there was a way to set it up in two or three clicks or there was a way to create a space or cloud infrastructure that can be available in several clicks, it would be a product gain. It would be nice to have something available as platform-as-a-service (PaaS) in cloud infrastructure. I don't know whether this functionality is currently available because we have stopped investing in this technology.

It requires consultants for deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

More IBM BPM reviews from users