IBM BPM Overview

IBM BPM is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Application Infrastructure tools. It is most often compared to IBM Business Automation Workflow: IBM BPM vs IBM Business Automation Workflow

What is IBM BPM?
IBM Business Process Manager is a comprehensive BPM platform giving you visibility and insight to manage business processes. It scales smoothly and easily from an initial project to a full enterprise-wide program harnesses complexity in a simple environment to better meet customer needs.

IBM BPM is also known as WebSphere Lombardi Edition, IBM Business Process Manager, IBM WebSphere Process Server.

IBM BPM Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM BPM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

IBM BPM Customers
Barclays, EmeriCon, Banca Popolare di Milano, CST Consulting, KeyBank, KPMG, Prolifics, Sandhata Technologies Ltd., State of Alaska, Humana S.A., Saperion, esciris, Banco Espirito Santo
IBM BPM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM BPM pricing:
  • "The cloud and license of the subscription model for IBM BPM can be complex. There are a lot of alternatives to choose from."
  • "Its price is on the higher side, and it can be improved. Its licensing is on a yearly basis. There are no additional costs."
  • "The price is quite inflated, and I think that our service contract is per year with monthly fees."

IBM BPM Reviews

Zoran Cerkez
Owner/CEO at IT SPHERE
Nov 25, 2020
Offers lots of space, quite stable, and perfect for large enterprises

• "IBM's deployment box is one huge black box. We can create all the services with our own code or without a codebase, however, we have a huge amount of space with practically no limitation."
  • "If you want to use IBM BPM, you will have to invest a lot of money for licenses and you need to learn that there are limitations in developing applications. You cannot create anything you want."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We are not partners. We don't have any business relationship with IBM. I started with the very old versions, with only BPEL processes. It was also BPM, however, I was using BPEL processes Right now, for the latest client, we are using the business automation workflow 19.0.0.3. Our clients are mostly in the banking industry, and therefore we don't really deal with the cloud versions. IBM is preparing some new tools specific only for the banking industry and for the cloud. I don't much about it but I'm sure that it will be presented soon. Basically, if you company is large…
Luis Yndigoyen
Partner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Mar 28, 2019
It helps improve your process through continual measurement and have a online monitoring of the performance

What is our primary use case?

I was a consumer of the IBM products and implement IBM BPM in Latin America. I stopped being an end user of IBM products in past year, but still implement products. Primary use case is more than 80 percent financial services, banks mainly, but also insurance: * Banks or organizations use it for credit cards or for opening accounts. * Insurance use it for checking insurance claims.

• "It excels at analytics. It provides visibility across all activities of a company's processes and performance."
  • "It helps improve your process through continual measurement."

What other advice do I have?

It is the Ferrari of BPM tools. To implement this product, you should have a process department and an ERP. Without an ERP solution, the transactionality of the BPM will not work. IBM Case Manager can assist you if you have a process that is unstructured. It is a very advanced tool, but very expensive. When I am looking at selecting a vendor for my client, I consider: * The size of the initiative * The cost of the licensing or subscription * Training * Availability of a consultant to implement the solution. I was a previous IBM partner in Mexico and Peru.
    Learn what your peers think about IBM BPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
    465,058 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Paul Parisi
    Enterprise Architect at Mobiliser
    Nov 2, 2020
    How to decide which edition of IBM BPM you need
    Since the blue-washing of Lombardi, IBM has introduced three variations on the core BPM product in order to provide different entry level costs to customers based on the how they intend to use the product suite. These levels are defined as Express Edition Standard Edition Advanced Edition Broadly speaking Express and Standard differ in how the customer is allowed to use the technology where Advanced edition differs in that it allows customers to use WebSphere Process Server (WPS) capabilities which have now been integrated into the technology suite (this includes Integration Designer which is the new WebSphere design too and also Business Spaces) Update: IBM is introducing additional changes to BPM Advanced edition that will result in a further divergence of the…
    Anand Venkateshwaran
    Head Enterprise Platforms at Mashreq
    Jun 24, 2020
    Add option simplifies scale of production and all production processes

What is our primary use case?

We currently use IBM BPM in our company to digitize platforms, to ensure that whatever we are currently doing in terms of manual operations, gets digitized. It means that anything a customer needs becomes an STP journey straight through processing instead of requiring any manual work. We chose IBM BPM because of that. I'm the head of enterprise platforms and we're a customer of IBM.

• "Good user interface and good add option."
    • "Could increase vulnerability and security patches to make it more robust."

What other advice do I have?

I have no serious complaints, it's basically the combination of pricing and the security vulnerability that are concerns. I think they also repackage a lot of their products within the new upgraded version of IBM BPM, a BAW - Business Automation Workflow. For anyone contemplating using this solution, it's important to study the entire landscape of your business operations. A solution needs to be chosen based on your business needs and there are multiple solutions available. If you're a smaller company, for example, there are other tools like Zing that have less scalability, but it's a…
    reviewer1495326
    Team Lead at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Feb 3, 2021
    A good solution with good stability, workflow, and integration with SAP

What is our primary use case?

We have used it for e-office. We have done a unification in a shared service center for our procurement activities and payment, and we have rolled out almost 180 processes. We were on version 8.6, and we have recently upgraded to Business Automation Workflow (BAW).

• "Its workflow and integration with SAP are the most valuable features. It is also a stable solution."
    • "We are a government organization, and we are the largest government power sector in India. We generate around 30% of power in India. Therefore, our processes are quite complex. Although IBM BPM is a low-code or no-code software, if you want to have extremely complex workflows, just the business process diagrams are not helpful in creating those workflows. While implementing complex workflows, only the process flow diagrams did not help us. We had to write a lot of Java scripts and Java queries to achieve what we wanted. Its integration capabilities with the SAP environment have to be improved. At present, we are only talking at the web services environment level. Its price also needs to be improved. It is currently expensive. Previously, Active Directory required a heterogeneous environment, but now they want a homogeneous environment. We had onboarded employees through Microsoft Active Directory, and now I have to implement Microsoft AD only from the cloud for my vendors."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a good solution. The only thing is that you should have a good technical team to implement it before embarking on this journey. It is not an easy solution. I would rate IBM BPM an eight out of ten.
    reviewer1386273
    Development Team Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Jul 20, 2020
    Stable, with good performance and offers great notification services

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM BPM for process management for our users. With it, we don't need to load items under a sandbox using IBM BPM and it has a good general user experience with business processes.

• "The solution offers great notifications."
    • "Finding errors and bugs on the system is not easy. We can't seem to use the events or logs to find them, so it makes it difficult to debug the system. They really need to work on their debugging features to make is much, much easier. It would improve the solution considerably and should be something they add in a future release."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers; we don't have a business relationship with IBM. We're not sure which version of the solution we're using is. It may be Version 10. We don't use IBM BPM for production. We are using IBM BPM in the pilot system instead of the production system. I've been using the pilot system for about one year. I'd advise others considering business process management software to think about open source. The industry is moving in that direction, and it may be better for many companies. If they have enough money and time, IBM is still a very good choice. I'd rate the solution eight out of…
    reviewer1436001
    Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Oct 22, 2020
    Reliable with flexible integration that connects well with interfaces, but the setup could be simplified and technical support improved

• "A good feature for me is the way it connects to our interfaces and the flexibility of integration."
    • "Patching is required every three months and a major upgrade every two years, which should be optional."

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is interested in implementing this solution, I would say the product is good, but it is complicated. It's not straightforward, and it is too rigid. You have to use everything that IBM provides. I would rate IBM BPM a seven out of ten.
    reviewer1412832
    Principal Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Sep 10, 2020
    Its ease of use and off-the-shelf functionality made us adopt this solution

What is our primary use case?

We are consultants and integrators. We are also a partner of IBM. We implement IBM BPM in financial institutions for automatic support, process automation support, process digitalization, and process management. Our business cases are all around financial markets.

• "One of the reasons for adopting this solution ten years ago was its ease of use. It had a lot of off-the-shelf functionality, and it did not need to be developed specifically for the project that we were implementing. That was the main reason for adopting it in the beginning."
    • "IBM BPM lacks openness, that is, the ability to become open for new options in terms of APIs, front-end development, and ecosystem. IBM BPM has been quite closed. One of the main improvements would be to somehow embed the rules engine into IBM BPM. Merging IBM BRMS and the rules engine with IBM BPM would be helpful. If there was some simpler way to define rules without having to put IBM BRMS on top of it, it would be good. It's something that we can get out of Camunda but not out of IBM BPM."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.
    See 9 more IBM BPM Reviews
    Download our free IBM BPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.