IBM BPM Review
The tool brought awareness to what our business processes are

What is our primary use case?

We are doing a lot of transaction processing for 401ks, moving processes out of a legacy workflow system into IBM BPM.

Our workflow processes are initiated from the web. They will start a process on the back-end, and move throughout all the steps necessary to process distributions, loans, and relevant transactional work.

We started with Process Server, even before IBM BPM, so it was 2006 to 2007. When IBM bought Lombardi, we converted over. So, it has been quite a while.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization quite a bit. It brought awareness to what our business processes are, even to the business side, who did not necessarily know what they are.

There are a lot of things that you get out-of-the-box: Timers and so on, which took a lot of effort and code before.

What is most valuable?

It is being able to see the process, and understanding what the process is versus having to bury it in code somewhere.

What needs improvement?

Better reporting. I do not think that we are fully taking advantage of what it already has yet.

I have an interest around the robotic piece, and integrating that with the processes. I think that is certainly a good direction to be going.

More than five years.

So far, it is stable. We do not have a ton of processes moved over yet, but the ones we do have seem to be working pretty well.

We still have a lot to move to figure it out.

I have not had to deal with that side of things. We do not have anything that is down, so I am guessing technical support must be doing okay.

We have a different area that works with getting everything built up and installed. The migration process sometimes is a little bit hairy going from one version of a progress to another. Other people take care of it, so I do not have to worry about it.

What other advice do I have?

It is a pretty good product. It does everything we need it to do.

Free Report