Jira Review

Quick and easy to customize

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for multiple uses; project management, task management, and we are starting to use it for release management.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is its ease of use. I don't need to train anyone to use it, I just give them access and they can use it to add comments, move their issues, change the status, monitor, read, and so on. For these results, it is very helpful. I also like the customization that we had for the workflows for the different issues, it's quick and easy to customize. The reporting is also easy and the dashboards that they provide are really helpful and simple. It does not need a lot of experience with reporting and presentation to get to what you need. Also, most of the advanced reports that you need to create can be exported as Excel files.

What needs improvement?

I have been watching an issue develop. There is a difference between their cloud and their  server versions. The next-gen project, which is an advanced feature that allows you to visualize the road map of your delivery over multiple products and over time, is not available yet for the sever version. It appears there in the list, but it's still not right. I've tried to use it many times and I am watching the device show their tracker, but it seems they intentionally want this to increase the utilization of the cloud instead of the server. It is really a nice feature and it's a shame that we don't have it.

Additionally, it would be really nice if they added some custom reports so that you could build your own report through any open source or commercial plug-in like Crystal Reports. That would be much easier for them to accelerate. You can create a report template and use it frequently.

There are a few features I would like to see in the next release. For example, the layouts could be easier to configure on the screens. I know it's easy to customize. For each issue type you can create and modify your screen. But it would be easier if you could enlarge, copy, clone, and visualize them in a model in a visual way. It's really hard for me as an admin to compare different screens or even to copy one screen with one additional field. I believe that is creating a lot of confusion for end-users because usually admins are looking at each field independently, where it's located, in which position, and which screen. So that all needs to be improved from an administration point of view to make it easier to visualize and compare between the screens.

I have been using Jira for almost a year now.

In terms of stability, it is fine.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward. The deployment is very easy. It just took one server.

It took one day to set up the database and then start the configuration. That is straightforward. And I believe they have a newer deployment model that they can deploy on Docker and other container platforms.

I did it myself with some help from other team members.

What other advice do I have?

Jira is an amazing tool, but to get the process streamlined is a challenge. So don't start from Jira. Start with your process first. Agree on the workflow, identify all the stakeholders, and then from there you can go ahead with Jira and implement anything.

On a scale of one to ten, I give Jira a 10.

Everything already provided is perfect. We are using Jira perfectly for one year now and it's absolutely great.

More Jira reviews from users