Jira Review

Enables us to print tasks for planning so we can also see what's happening in the system and follow the tickets

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant, and we have some customers with projects who use Jira.

We have customers with different Jira installations because there are so many vendors. It is mostly used as a bug tracking system with tickets, issues and tags.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is that it is a quite powerful user tracking system. Also, we use it to print tasks for planning so you can also see what's happening in the system and follow the tickets.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, there is not much I don't like. It is a little bit faster but with Firefox it can be slow, but that is also the case with many other tools as well. It has quite a lot of options and fields, so I'm not too familiar with them all. That makes it a bit trickier. It could be a little bit easier, it is not that simple or straightforward.

The tool itself is so powerful and the customer's expectation is very high because you have so many things you can do with it. That can make it a little non-user friendly.

I would want to see Jira include some improvements, like drag and drop and color, to make it more straightforward. If you compare it to Microsoft or Octane, they have good features that I would like to see in Jira as well.

Overall, Jira is a little bit old fashioned, it could be more user friendly.

They should make it simpler, to just be able to do some functions, whereas now it takes longer. There are too many clicks.

I have been using Jira for around 15 years or so, but not all the time.

The stability is fine. We have some issue now with our customers, it could be due to the network or other issues, I don't know if it is because of Jira itself. We have quite a complex environment and system for our customers. At the moment we have several tools and different systems. We have some issues with downtime but I am not sure why.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone thinking about Jira is that it would be wise to at least find out the most crucial functions that you need in the product, what features are most important, determine how the project will use Jira, and the most important thing is to have some kind of user training plan because the tool is so complex and flexible that you can use it in many, many different ways.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Jira a nine.

I would give it a nine because of course it needs some improvements. For example, the usability and its speed.

More Jira reviews from users