Jira Review

Good Agile tracking features, easy to manage sprints, and allows for comments and tags

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for project management.

It can be used across a team. Managers can assign tasks and then they can track the progress. They can put the start dates, end dates, and everyday comments.

They can upload the relevant files to that module.

Jira is used to manage a sprint, which is the terminology used in the agile practice of project management. Sprints can be tracked fully using the Jira software. A sprint is typically a part or a subset of the entire work. It has a definite goal.

For example, if I am building test software, and building the login page is one module, then I can track the work created from the starting stage to the end.

It's a part of an entire software application. If a login page of a website is a subset of an entire website, I can track that right from when it started, how long it takes, what is pending, and how long the control test is.

Basically, you can clump it all together as if it is a team and you can measure the speed of the team. It enables the predictability of a project and helps determine when it can go live.

What is most valuable?

All of the tracking features are the most valuable because it allows me to see where we stand today and every day.

At the end of the day, I look to see what is pending, what is as per my expectation or as per the speed, and what is not going.

I can put in my comments or give a direction, or tag any other person if they need any help if they are stuck.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be much better, although it's good enough to do the job.

I don't see the mobile application for this particular application. I use it on PC. I tried to download the application, but there are some constraints to using it. It doesn't link properly, it doesn't detect my Jira board, even when I have entered the name. I don't know how to use that app. I download and tried, but there is confusion. There is no clarity on how I can map my desktop account with the mobile application. There is definitely room there to improve.

There should be a way to integrate the mobile application or in some way, make it more clear because at first instance, I didn't understand how to use it.

We have used Jira over the last seven months.

It's a stable solution.

We have a team of eight members who are using Jira. They are divided into teams with each team using different boards.

For example, one team is managers who are using it, whereas another is a team of developers using a different board that can be created and used for their purposes.

I have not been in a situation where I have needed technical support. Everything has gone well.

The installation is typically done by my IT team. I don't have exposure to that.

Prior to Jira, we were evaluating Microsoft tools, but I don't recall the name. Possibly Microsoft Task.

We were evaluating Microsoft products for the same purpose.

The decision is a collective team decision. It may have been that Jira is easier to implement across the company.

What other advice do I have?

It is a well-crafted product. I don't have any concerns.

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

V8.11
More Jira reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Microsoft Project
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.