Jira Review

A very capable product with many useful features, impressive scalability, and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using it for project management and issue tracking. It is used by development, QA, and IT operations. It really goes through the whole gamut of project management.

We are not using its latest version. We are usually a little bit behind on versions.

What is most valuable?

Jira is a pretty capable product, and a lot of features are valuable. We value being able to set up separate projects and configure teams in them, set up sprints, and manage our sprints with its history tracking. These are all very useful features. It has been a very popular product for our work.

What needs improvement?

Because I am a developer, I would like integration with Git Source Code Management so that for tickets, we can reference the code where the change has happened and where the issue is. This feature might be there, and I probably haven't discovered it.

I have been using this solution for probably six years.

Its stability has been very good. Every once in a while, we have a problem, and the service stops working. I don't think we have a very robust installation of it, but if there is an issue, it is back online very quickly.

Most of the issues are probably related to the server needing patching or something else. It may not be running on the appropriate size hardware. I know it is not a well-funded product at our office.

It is impressive. We have all our projects on it, and we haven't really had reports of any issues. We haven't yet stretched it to its limitations, but it has managed to meet our requirements, even in this minimal deployment. I am pretty impressed.

I didn't directly contact them, but I am sure at some point we have. We usually have a contact person, and we pay for the full support.

We are adopting multiple products, such as ServiceNow, but they do different things and are for different purposes. There is a talk about replacing Jira with ServiceNow, and we're not too happy with it because we all liked Jira, but sometimes this kind of stuff happens. ServiceNow does have crossover features, but it gets into problems for us when changing from one system to another.

I didn't set it up, but I haven't heard of any issues with the implementation of it. It seems to be very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. Overall, it is a good product. It supports scrum and agile developments. It has a lot of benefits that can be applied very quickly in organizations.

I would advise others to do a test installation and make sure that it fits their needs. Experiment with the multitudes of features that it has. I know there are lots of modules. There are probably many features that we are not using.

I would give it very high marks. I would rate Jira a nine out of ten. There is always something you could improve on it.

More Jira reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Microsoft Project
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.