Charlie cmyk cyan

JIRA Review
JIRA can be used as a Test Management tool but there are a few areas which need to be improved as compared with HP ALM.

Valuable Features:

As a Test Analyst my first requirement is to have a tool where I can create a repository for all my test activities like test cases, test execution, defects and reports. Zephyr is an add-on which provides facility to use JIRA as a test management tool. We can write test cases, add versions, create test cycles and execute cases. To make life easy JIRA comes with a dashboard where I can add different gadgets to generate reports on different criteria.

Improvements to My Organization:

My organization uses Wiki and JIRA both for requirement gathering, but very few know the capability of JIRA as a test management solution. People in the past used to write and execute test cases in WIKI and also log the defects from there. This not only made it difficult to manage the test cases and defect, but also there are no reports which can be extracted out of it. It becomes very difficult to fetch efficiency in each test cycles. Also, we were not able to track test coverage because we couldn't link requirement with test cases in Wiki. But after JIRA provided us a feature to use it as test management we are managing all these very effectively.

Room for Improvement:

Though JIRA can be used as a Test Management tool, it is not complete by itself. There are still a few niggles in it as compared to other products like HP ALM. We can export the reports in xls or pdf. Also whenever we fail any test steps, the test does not fail by itself, we need to manually select fail from status drop down. JIRA does not provide any lock feature for a test case if any person is working on that case. In fact, both people can assess the same case at the same time.

Use of Solution:

I've been using JIRA for the past 2 years.

Stability Issues:

I found JIRA to be a stable product and didn't have any issues with the response time as compared with HP ALM. Only a couple of times during last 2 years it was down for few hours.

Previous Solutions:

I worked on HP QC 9 & 10 before JIRA. There were no issues with these tools to switch to JIRA, but the tool used fora project always depends on management, user benefits and cost involved in it.

2 visitors found this review helpful
Asit nayak avatar?1430816347Picture 1584 1362396619

6 Comments

Krunal rajendra akojwar li?1426660051

I agree! Jira is not a complete package at this point. Also integration with Automation & Perf testing tools is also missing. I am currently looking for ways to integrate Jira with ALM as some of our legacy business applications are heavily using Jira. Any recommendations on integrator between Jira & ALM?

Like (0)24 April 15
Anonymous avatar x30

The answer on Integration is Tasktop Sync. It is truly a leading product that integrates tools to create one effective ALM tool. Contact me on Paul.kaye@intelliqa.com and I will provide more information.

Like (0)24 April 15
Picture 1297 1358850923
Alex KriegelReal UserTOP REVIEWERPOPULAR

@Krunal
I will assume that you are referring to HP ALM.

There are several ways to integrate it with Jira, including commercial ones such as TaskTop (https://tasktop.com/connectors/hp-alm-quality-center.php), Orasi (http://www.orasi.com/testing-solutions/Pages/JIRA_Bridge.aspx) and JAM (http://www.go2group.com/alm-solutions/atlassian-plugins/jira-plugins/jam-plugin/).

The JAM plugin would be the cheapest by far, running around $3K (it also offers free trial download). Both TaskTop and Orasi would be by order of magnitude more expensive (though, arguably, might provide richer functionality.)

NB: you could also create your own integration using published API(s); while I do not recommend it, it might help if you need a very limited functionality quickly, and have expertise in-house.

Like (3)24 April 15
Anonymous avatar x30
Brett TaylorResellerTOP 20

JaM is a JIRA plugin, similar to Orasi's solution. Functionalities are similar. Price is not ;)

JaM has been deprecated for ConnectALL http://www.go2group.com/alm-solutions/connectall/

ConnectALL is an advanced, feature rich, next generation, ALM integration platform. ConnectALL is an order of magnitude less expensive than other solutions.

Like (0)26 April 15
Sachin nandwana li?1414336485

JIRA is not a Test management tool, it's a defect / Issue management tool

Like (0)11 June 15
Chandramohan rathore li?1429599184

@Sachin Well this can be true for JIRA, but ZEPHYR for JIRA is an Addon helps us to use JIRA as test management tool. We can create, plan, execute test from JIRA and also there are various other features. And also I never mentioned that JIRA is a test management tool but can be used as one.

Like (0)11 June 15