JIRA Review

Our product technicians can use the JIRA module to manage tasks by creating PRDs and user stories

What is our primary use case?

Managing our entire product development life cycle, as well as all test cases and test runs. That include at least 4 developers, 2 business analysts and 2 testers, all working on sprints.

How has it helped my organization?

Before JIRA we had to create our PRDs, our product definitions requirements in another feature, then using another tool to organize the combine with all the JIRA tasks.

Now with JIRA Tasks, our product technicians can use the JIRA module to manage tasks by creating PRDs and user stories in JIRA, or even in Confluence (another product from Atlassian). Then, our PBAs, our business analysts, use Confluence to create all the definitions, which we can then use to create user stories in JIRA using the combine module.

What is most valuable?

The most important is the Agile management, because we use Agile in our everyday tasks. Also, the task manager is important.

What needs improvement?

Right now, the Task Management feature and Confluence are separate from JIRA itself. So, we have this problem where sometimes these modules don't talk to each other the way we expect them. So many times, links created automatically from new tools apart from another tool which didn't work, therefore you have to manually go into the task, even though the link is right there.

Another example, in JIRA you create a test sessions with user stories, then buttons from the user stories can automatically change the status of a test session from started, completed, or paused, which doesn't work. Therefore, there is a problem there: inter-module conversations.

Three to five years.

It's pretty stable. It doesn't go offline very often.

It works great for scalability. We have many users with more users coming. Our current users are on the road and can work.

Right now, we have a technician, a specialist, in another country that works closely for JIRA. So, we don't have technical support directly with them.

I used just Excel sheets. JIRA was a major improvement for a variety of reasons listed in other answers.

Even though, JIRA was a new thing at the company that I worked for, it was pretty easy to setup. The product is fast, so you don't have any frustration with installation. Account creation was pretty easy, too. Not too complicated.

We tried Microsoft, but it only supports task management. It doesn't support creating test sessions the way we like to them. Also, it doesn't support product definition the way JIRA supports us and Microsoft's general interface is a whole mess, so we prefer JIRA.

What other advice do I have?

Learn every module you use (a lot!) before jumping to other modules, like we did, with JIRA Testing and Atlassian Confluence, because the conversation between those modules can be troublesome if you don't know exactly what it wants.

The product helps us a lot. It can handle the main features that it's supposed to in a proper manner, so we don't have any frustrations in our daily activities.

1 visitor found this review helpful