Microsoft Project Review

Easy to manage with good tools and great integrations

What is our primary use case?

We basically use the solution to get a clear sense of the project and break down everything into a schedule. If there are overlapping schedules, we plan everything out and add in all the information so the roadmap is clear. We often have different teams coming in at different times, so we need to ensure that our critical path is clear and that we are able to execute on the project from an agile perspective.

We need to be sure that we have all the backlogs and scheduling and can pull in the customer on the deliverable as necessary. We'll check with them and fine-tune everything so that we can run the sprints successfully and match them up with the project plan using Microsoft Project.

What is most valuable?

There are some valuable tools on the solution that are actually free.

The tasks are quite detailed on the solution.

You are able to easily manage other software, and, for a particular task item, you can schedule it however you like. It's quite flexible in terms of managing everything.

The solution is very complete. It makes it a great option for project managers and they can use it extensively in almost any organizational setup.

The mapping is pretty good and that's our primary requirement. Sometimes the customers and stakeholders have their own reports, but that's okay and it works for us. Most of our reporting is based on sprints and Microsoft Tool can help us map this. Most of our reporting is a combination of JIRA and Microsoft.

We can code it to JIRA and can see the total movement there as well.

We can easily integrate it into Confluence. It's pretty seamless.

What needs improvement?

We need to know what third party solutions we want to integrate.  Microsoft by itself is a project management tool, however, if someone says they want to integrate with something else, there may be issues. Since we work on JIRA, most of the time that can satisfy our needs, as everyone has JIRA. They just update their task there and we can have full visibility.

Microsoft's solution isn't really a collaboration tool, however. If you need a collaboration tool, you can use Slack, which can be integrated with your JIRA. Any ticketing in JIRA can be integrated to Slack and you can get the messages there.

I personally still need to compare the solution to other solutions. It would give me a better sense of if they are missing any features. Right now, without the comparison, it's hard to tell. They may need more security features, or better communication features. It's hard for me to say with my limited knowledge base.

We've probably used the solution for more than three years at this point.

The stability seems to be good. I don't recall facing issues. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's been good.

The solution is quite scalable, as far as I can see.

I've never reached out to technical support. We never reach to Microsoft support because we haven't had any problems as of yet.  Therefore, I can't speak to their level of support or responsiveness.

We also use JIRA and Confluence as part of our project management work. We usually practice agile.

The pricing is pretty reasonable. They don't seem to overcharge for their services.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using, or if it's the most up to date.

We are using an on-prem desktop version. We are not using Ofiice 365. We use JIRA for project management, tasking and creating sprints. Most of the time, initially, we just create the Microsoft Project plan and then all those tasks and the PPS. We still try to deposit using Sprint. We plan it out and then run it as an agile sprint.

It's a good tool. Microsoft is quite a stable company and offers good solutions. Microsoft Project is a good solution overall. However, they can keep pushing it and offering even more features and functions in the future. It will help them stay competitive.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's my understanding that in their roadmap they may have a plan to bring in more collaboration capabilities. If they do, it will make a great solution even better. However, they may just end up buying a project management suite and keep everything in-house under the Microsoft umbrella. It's hard to predict.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Customer
More Microsoft Project reviews from users
...who compared it with Jira
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Project. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.