Microsoft Project OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Project is #3 ranked solution in top Project Management Software. IT Central Station users give Microsoft Project an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Project is most commonly compared to monday.com:Microsoft Project vs monday.com. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 20% of all views.
What is Microsoft Project?

Microsoft Project helps you get started quickly and execute projects with ease. Built-in templates and familiar scheduling tools help project managers and teams stay productive.

Microsoft Project was previously known as Project Pro, MS Project.

Microsoft Project Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Project Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Microsoft Project Customers

Aston Martin, ABANCA, Airbus Group, Capita, Cardiff University, City of Saskatoon, Intel, Pegasus Airlines, South Australia Power Network (SAPN), Israeli Ministry of Construction and Housing

Microsoft Project Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Project pricing:
  • "It gets expensive when having to add all of the plugins and everything that you need."
  • "I do not remember the exact cost we paid but usually, they charge per user per month."

Microsoft Project Reviews

Michael Barg
Principal Consultant at Lexington Consulting
Resource leveling is useful, but it is time and manpower intensive and not at all dynamic

• "Resource leveling is very useful. We like this feature. We like to be able to expand tasks and look at different resources and tasks usages. It is good at assigning tasks to teams. It is pretty compliant with the Project Management Institute approach, which is useful for being comprehensive. It allows us to make little Gantt charts and network diagrams."
  • "There are some things about it that I've always hated, and they haven't really changed them. It makes a lot of assumptions. It is also difficult to put business rules in it. You have to de-link it from the consecutive task if you don't want to do a What-If analysis, and sometimes, if you forget to do that, it changes everything. It is a pain in the neck to undo it. I would also like to see better integration with graphics. The graphics are primitive, and they need some major work. I would like to have the ability to do some small macros within the project for fuzzy logic. For example, if you're not sure how long a task takes, you can get the earliest guess. It is very time and manpower intensive to keep it up to date. You need to constantly update it. You will find that you are spending more time working on the Microsoft Project file rather than working on your project. I don't want to devote a person to just do that. That's silly. You can link it to some more modern applications so that it is dynamic when a real-time resource schedule changes, but it is not at all dynamic. It is only as dynamic as the person using it. It would be nice if we could plug it in real time for each project, subproject, or task. If something is going on, I want to see it in real time. Sometimes we have international clients, and they don't use the same calendar. They have a Thursday and Friday weekend, and we have a Saturday and Sunday weekend. I can change it in Microsoft Project, but I would like to be able to do it globally. There may be a way to do it, but I just haven't figured it out yet. I would like to be able to specify globally what weekend we want or what we want to call a weekend. We might have a project that works seven days a week. Some tasks are automated outside, like manufacturing processes. Embedding external processes is almost impossible because, in a practical sense, we don't have people who can do a lot of programming here, and also the interface of Microsoft Project is not the easiest because a lot of it is proprietary. It would be nice if we can link different tasks to external sources of inputs and outputs so that we could integrate them with a master project plan and see in real time what's going on. For example, you are manufacturing a batch of a chemical, and I have to rely on if a customer is making some type of complex chemical. Their system does not interfere with ours. We have to get the outputs from their system and enter them manually into the project to see the effect. That takes time. If you're talking about hours, you going to spend three to four hours, but there is the risk of getting it wrong or making a mistake. On tight projects, every minute counts. I would like to see some control system interfaces with Microsoft Project. A modern machine shop has a lot of computer numerical control (CNC) computers. In fact, virtually all machining is done with a CNC machine. Even 3D additive manufacturing is made with CNC. That data can go to a computer, and that computer can spit it out to a project so that you can see in real time whether you are going to finish a day ahead. If you had to finish a day ahead, you could talk to the systems' software, which can say that if I have this machine working for another hour and this one for one hour or less, I would be able to meet the schedule. It can then make those changes, but it can't do that. Everything needs to be done manually, which takes more time, and there's a risk of mistakes. It requires smarter automation and more machine learning. There is no machine learning capability in Microsoft Project. It just doesn't exist. That's why I say it is only suitable for small-sized to medium-sized companies and small projects. Most people don't have the problems that I have. I don't have them all the time, but when I have them, they're big. When you're bidding on a project that has to get done, you find yourself spending most of the time working on Microsoft Project, whereas you should be spending these hours managing the project. Thinking on a bigger scale, I would like better integration with Office, Visio, and Access. If you make a change in one, it should cascade to others and vice versa. It doesn't do that. It is not a dynamic program. I would like to see a dynamic program or at least the capability of being dynamic, that is, even if it is close to real time where it outputs to a module, and the module then talks to real-time things. The real-time data goes back into the module, and the module updates the project plan. Such dynamic capability would be nice. It may not be real time, but it is at least close. I would like to be able to link directly to the data in an Excel spreadsheet so that I don't have to keep going back and forth updating it. I don't want to have to create a dynamic link library. Whenever I change the data in Excel, it should update in Visio or PowerPoint. If I'm doing a pie chart or any kind of graphic, I don't want to constantly update my graphics. I want to link them together, and I want them updated automatically. I know it is a wishful thing. They don't make major changes every time they come out with a new version. They don't fix the issue. They just add a few features."

What is our primary use case?

Whenever we have a client with a complicated situation, we create a project plan. And we use Microsoft Project (MS Project) for administrating, monitoring, and tracking the project.

How has it helped my organization?

We can input information, and we can then share it with the project team and stakeholders. That helps a little bit, but again, if somebody changes their mind, it could change how we manage the project. There are some new features in MS Project 2019. However, more features aren't necessarily useful because now you must train people to use them. They may say, "Why do I need this new feature?" Newer versions of MS Project display a warning when a task runs behind schedule. However, it is necessary to input a date change for that warning manually, and administrative action takes precious time.

It is possible to have inputs from other programs, such as Outlook, but we don't use Outlook for anything other than email, even though it could do other things. Time is a critical resource. We don't have time to learn about these features and use them productively, making them of no value.

What is most valuable?

MS Project's resource leveling capability is beneficial. We like this feature. We want to be able to expand tasks and look at different resources and task usages. It is good at assigning tasks to teams.

It is generally compliant with the Project Management Institute approach to project management, which means MS Project helps us be more uniform and consistent in conducting each project.

What needs improvement?

MS Project can insert objects, like a drawing or an Excel worksheet, but cannot handle business rules. Also, I would like to see better integration with graphics applications such as MS Visio. The graphics are primitive and need some major work. I would like to have the ability to insert some small macros within the project for Monte Carlo risk analysis. For example, if you're unsure how much time a task may require, you can generate a reasonable guess.

MS Project is very time and labor-intensive to keep current. You need to update it continually. You may find that you are spending more time maintaining the MS Project file than working on your project. I don't want to devote a person to do that.

MS Project should have the capability to link it to other applications to make the program dynamic when a real-time resource or schedule changes, but it is not dynamic. It would be helpful to insert real-time input data for each project, subproject, or task. If something is going on, I want to see the impact in real-time, if possible.

I want to be able to specify globally what weekend we want or what we want to call a weekend. Also, we might have a project underway seven days a week.

External data sources, like third-party manufacturing processes, impact some tasks. Embedding external processes within MS Project is almost impossible because we don't have programming resources here in a practical sense. Also, the interface of Microsoft Project is proprietary. We want to link different tasks to external sources of inputs and outputs and integrate them automatically with our master project plan, e.g., specific third-party CNC machine data. The supplier's system does not interface with ours'. We have to get the outputs from their system serially and manually update the MS Project file to determine the schedule impact. That takes time. There is a risk of data entry errors at both ends. On tight projects, every minute counts.

I would like to see a control system interface with Microsoft Project. Real-time system data helps predict cost and schedule variances. For example, if you had to finish a day ahead of schedule, you could "talk" to the systems' software and determine if a given machine works for another four hours, then you could meet the accelerated schedule. MS Project requires manual data entry with a risk of mistakes. Presently, there is no automated data entry capability in MS Project. It just doesn't exist. That's why I say it is only suitable for small-sized to medium-sized companies and small projects. Most companies don't have the same problems we have with MS Project.

When you're working on a project that has to get done, you will spend most of the time wrestling with Microsoft Project, whereas you should be using these hours to manage the project.

Thinking on a slightly bigger scale, I would like better integration with Office, Visio, and Access. If you make a change in one application, it should cascade to others and vice versa. It doesn't do that, at least not easily. It is not a dynamic program. I would like to see an active program or at least the capability to be dynamic, even if it is close to real-time where it outputs to a module, and the module then talks to real-time systems. The real-time data goes back into the module, and the module updates the project plan. Such dynamic capability would be superior to what exists now. It may not be genuinely real-time, but it is at least closer to it.

I want to link directly to the data in an Excel spreadsheet so that I don't have to keep going back and forth updating it. I don't want to have to create a dynamic link library or write a macro. Whenever I change the data in an Excel file for a given project or task, it should update the corresponding Visio or PowerPoint file. If I'm doing a pie chart or any graphic, I don't want to manually update my graphics. I want to link them together, and I want them updated automatically. I know it is a wishful thing. Microsoft doesn't make significant changes every time they come out with a new version. However, they don't appear to fix the issue. Instead, they add a few features.

I have been using Microsoft Project since it came out in the mid-1980s.

It is relatively stable. I have never had a crash. I can't remember it ever crashing. If you entered some information that it can't resolve, it usually comes up with an error message.

I think it is limited to around 400,000 tasks. I am not sure. I never had to go that far. We have five consultants who are remote users.

I have never really needed any support. When Microsoft has a seminar or a meeting locally, I might go to it and give my feedback.

Installation is automatic and simple.  No issues.

In-house.

MS Project pays for itself by helping me keep my thinking straight.  The purchase price of the application is insignificant when compared with the time involved in trying to do project management manually on paper attached to large poster boards.  We did it that way before the advent of PCs.

Make sure you have a good business reason for purchasing MS Project.  It isn't cheap and there are free alternatives, with simple capabilities, available.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you understand what MS Project can do and what it cannot do. It cannot read your mind. Just like any other program, it only does what you tell it to do. If you give it the wrong information, it will provide you with incorrect output. It is very labor-intensive. There is minimal capability to help you write routines. So, you have to change dates and task names. If you don't understand project management, you're just going to delude yourself into thinking MS Project helps you. You have to understand the process of project management to use the application effectively. Otherwise, you are wasting your time. It will not teach you how to do project management.

I would rate MS Project a five out of ten because it hasn't evolved that much. Microsoft added lots of bells and whistles, but they don't add much new value. They don't save me much time. I want MS Project to be a dynamic program, but it remains a passive program after more than 30 years. I have made comments about it at some seminars hosted by Microsoft. We have told them to make it a dynamic program or at least have an option to make it active. We would be willing to pay more for this capability. It is worth it, but they don't do it. I guess they don't see enough business potential in doing it that way, and I don't have the resources to create an internal application to make it that way. I am not in that business.

RS
IT Consultant with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has strong reporting features but it can become unstable when using advanced features

• "The reporting features are quite strong. Being able to do team reports and find out what work is pending, what work needs to be done are key in my day-to-day management of the team. The earned value analysis capabilities and critical path capabilities inside the tool help me make sure that I'm keeping the projects on track."
  • "When you start getting into the more advanced features, it can become unstable. The more you use the advanced features, the more exposure you have to an unanticipated result. I think we need to add the Kanban Board capability to the product that would help them advance that board into the project management methodology that's being used in the industry today. Being able to depend on Scrum management is key."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases are all related to project management and I've actually developed project schedule templates that support both the standard waterfall and all different aspects of project lifecycle management including Agile and Scrum.

How has it helped my organization?

Microsoft Project is used as the basis for all the tracking and monitoring that we do for the projects. Everything from staffing resource plan to estimates for work completion and estimates for the project completion. It's all integrated in that way. We also have developed a capability to have interlock tasks that work across schedules. We can look at one schedule and determine whether or not we're being impacted by another project. From those standpoints, integration coordination is key.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

When you start getting into the more advanced features, it can become unstable. The more you use the advanced features, the more exposure you have to an unanticipated result. I think we need to add the Kanban Board capability to the product that would help them advance that board into the project management methodology that's being used in the industry today. Being able to depend on Scrum management is key. I actually developed a template that allows me to do that, but if they actually productized that, that would help.

I have been using Microsoft Project for 20 years.

When using the standard features, it's fairly innocuous at that point, it works as intended.

We used shared resource pools and we have multiple project schedules linked into the shared resource pool using Project Server. At that point, if you have a project schedule that is open and you are using a resource pool but you haven't properly baselined that that project schedule, the cascade of change can span across multiple project schedules. That's actually dangerous. What Microsoft may want to do is put an alert in the application that tells you that you're linked to an active, shared resource pool. You are making a change inside your schedule that could impact other project schedules. Similarly, they need to do that based on updates. Then if you were linking into that same resource pool with a schedule, it should come up with an alert that says that changes have taken place. It doesn't do that.

Scalability is like anything. If you're doing fine tasks inside the tool, you can get into a multi-thousand line schedule. When you start dealing with schedules at that level, it's inherently complex.

Mostly project managers use it. We also have business analysts and other team members who in several instances may be able to go in. I don't do this with my teams because I want to be accountable to the team and make sure that the schedule is up to date and that it's accurately representing the work that's being performed. I use a timesheet entry approach and actually collect data from the team and enter that data into the project schedule. I've got one point of entry and one point of failure. I do know there are other project managers that are out there that allow their teams to go in and update their time in their tasks. I've seen that both work successfully and I've seen it cause significant issues so I prefer to hold onto the control myself that way.

They used to have a very robust help capability and I found that to be quite useful. They cut back on that now. I find that some of the support that was in the product before has not been kept up to the same level. Then we find ourselves having to reach out to the internet and looking for help texts out there from other users. That becomes then less professional. I'd recommend that they continue to upgrade and maintain the in-product help capabilities.

I've had very good support and I've had the support that's been frustrating. I would rate them a seven out of ten.

I've had exposure to Clarity and several of the other products that are out there. TFS itself as a squiggle management tool.

In terms of the initial setup, if you're using it as a fairly basic tool, it's fairly straightforward. When you start getting into the more complex tools and the features of the product, it becomes harder to use. That's to be expected. You have to have knowledge of the tool to be able to use it properly.

What other advice do I have?

It is a mainstay product. A lot of people use that as their first introduction and it's not meant to be a project management ERP solution, like Life Clarity or the others but it is a capable product that establishes a framework and a basis that can be used across the industry.

I would rate Microsoft Project a seven out of ten because you'd have to have in-depth knowledge of the tool for it to really be beneficial to you. It also allows the new developers and new project managers to come in and be proficient and be able to develop schedules fairly readily. From that standpoint, it's fairly strong. From the overall usability of the product, it can be cumbersome.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Project. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KH
Systems Engineer at Ortho Clinical Diagnostics
Easy to use, extremely stable, and able to handle large-scale projects

• "The solution is very useful for project planning."
  • "If Project had a better mechanism to allow those who are not the project manager to see their own work tasks, that would be of help or of value to us."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is mainly to get down on paper the steps for our project - including who's responsible for them. We use it as a communication tool and then we (on a regular basis) review progress against the laid-out project plan or schedule.

I tend to step in and create schedules when project managers are too busy or oftentimes I'll create the initial schedule due to the fact that I know all the stuff that needs to go in it, and the project manager may or may not know that.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very useful for project planning.

The solution is extremely stable.

The solution can handle large-scale projects.

I'm totally confident that somebody that uses it more frequently and more deeply than I do certainly is aware of the features and functions in it that I just don't use. It's user-friendly, rudimentarily. I'm just creating tasks, linking tasks in terms of predecessors and successors, adding duration to the task, adding resources to the tasks, and coming up with the logical flow and the end dates. That's how I use it. And, in that sense, it's very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

One of the things that we struggle with is that we do a lot of smaller projects that end up using the same resources. We have difficulty managing or balancing workload across resources that are on multiple projects.

For example, in project A we'll schedule Joel to do something in a certain timeframe. And then next day we have project B's schedule up, and he's scheduled to do something on that project in the same timeframe, and we don't have a way to expose those conflicts. We have to basically rely on Joe to say, "Hey, you've asked me to do different things. There's only one of me. I've got to manage my time. Either you give me twice as long to do both of those things, or you tell me which one to do first, and then move the other one."

It would be ideal if the solution itself could expose such conflicts.

One of the reasons that we have some projects using Jira as well as Microsoft Project is that we have to be able to access the project schedule to see, as an individual contributor, what the tasks are. It's not a great way to distribute that. In terms of Jira, where we create the Jira records, an engineer can go into the Jira database and search for his or her name, find all the tasks with the due dates on them, and anything assigned to them. If Project had a better mechanism to allow those who are not the project manager to see their own work tasks, that would be of help or of value to us.

I dabble in the product. We have actual project planners that are the experts in it, however, I've been using it for seven years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is extremely stable. It's rock solid. I've never had a problem with not working. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Some people in our organization do keep super detailed, large project schedules in Microsoft Project. I'm not working on such a large project at the moment. I'm working on many small ones. I can't comment from direct experience, however, I'm confident that we are doing that within our organization and that it can scale to handle quite sizable projects.

I've never dealt with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are when they receive queries.

I do not recall the company using a different solution. Certainly, when I started in the organization, I was using this product and not something else.

That said, we do have some projects using Jira as an agile approach to project management. With Jira, what they'll do is we'll have a project schedule, and then they'll break down the individual line items on the project schedule even further into Jira tasks in two-week bites. That's how they're managing projects there.

I did not handle the initial setup. Our IT team handled that part of the process for the company. I just open it up and create a new project schedule. Therefore, I cannot speak to how difficult or straightforward the process is.

Our IT team did the initial setup.

I don't deal directly with sales or licensing. I can't speak to the exact cost or licensing structure of the product itself. It's not an aspect I deal with directly.

We likely have a support contract for the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users.

I'm not sure which version of the solution I use. I don't use any advanced features. I basically put in tasks and assign resources, and assign predecessors, and successors. That's about the level I use it at. I don't do tons of work resource balancing, or Gantt charts out of it or anything like that.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It more than meets my needs for what I'm using it for. What a real project manager may rate it might be different.

RR
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Easy to manage with good tools and great integrations

• "The solution is very complete. It makes it a great option for project managers and they can use it extensively in almost any organizational setup."
  • "Microsoft's solution isn't really a collaboration tool, however. If you need a collaboration tool, you can use Slack, which can be integrated with your JIRA."

What is our primary use case?

We basically use the solution to get a clear sense of the project and break down everything into a schedule. If there are overlapping schedules, we plan everything out and add in all the information so the roadmap is clear. We often have different teams coming in at different times, so we need to ensure that our critical path is clear and that we are able to execute on the project from an agile perspective.

We need to be sure that we have all the backlogs and scheduling and can pull in the customer on the deliverable as necessary. We'll check with them and fine-tune everything so that we can run the sprints successfully and match them up with the project plan using Microsoft Project.

What is most valuable?

There are some valuable tools on the solution that are actually free.

The tasks are quite detailed on the solution.

You are able to easily manage other software, and, for a particular task item, you can schedule it however you like. It's quite flexible in terms of managing everything.

The mapping is pretty good and that's our primary requirement. Sometimes the customers and stakeholders have their own reports, but that's okay and it works for us. Most of our reporting is based on sprints and Microsoft Tool can help us map this. Most of our reporting is a combination of JIRA and Microsoft.

We can code it to JIRA and can see the total movement there as well.

We can easily integrate it into Confluence. It's pretty seamless.

What needs improvement?

We need to know what third party solutions we want to integrate.  Microsoft by itself is a project management tool, however, if someone says they want to integrate with something else, there may be issues. Since we work on JIRA, most of the time that can satisfy our needs, as everyone has JIRA. They just update their task there and we can have full visibility.

Microsoft's solution isn't really a collaboration tool, however. If you need a collaboration tool, you can use Slack, which can be integrated with your JIRA. Any ticketing in JIRA can be integrated to Slack and you can get the messages there.

I personally still need to compare the solution to other solutions. It would give me a better sense of if they are missing any features. Right now, without the comparison, it's hard to tell. They may need more security features, or better communication features. It's hard for me to say with my limited knowledge base.

We've probably used the solution for more than three years at this point.

The stability seems to be good. I don't recall facing issues. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's been good.

The solution is quite scalable, as far as I can see.

I've never reached out to technical support. We never reach to Microsoft support because we haven't had any problems as of yet.  Therefore, I can't speak to their level of support or responsiveness.

We also use JIRA and Confluence as part of our project management work. We usually practice agile.

The pricing is pretty reasonable. They don't seem to overcharge for their services.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are using, or if it's the most up to date.

We are using an on-prem desktop version. We are not using Ofiice 365. We use JIRA for project management, tasking and creating sprints. Most of the time, initially, we just create the Microsoft Project plan and then all those tasks and the PPS. We still try to deposit using Sprint. We plan it out and then run it as an agile sprint.

It's a good tool. Microsoft is quite a stable company and offers good solutions. Microsoft Project is a good solution overall. However, they can keep pushing it and offering even more features and functions in the future. It will help them stay competitive.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's my understanding that in their roadmap they may have a plan to bring in more collaboration capabilities. If they do, it will make a great solution even better. However, they may just end up buying a project management suite and keep everything in-house under the Microsoft umbrella. It's hard to predict.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Customer
KW
Operation Project Manager at a retailer with 51-200 employees
Keeps everybody organized, provides little time savers, and easy to use

• "It can auto-connect based on the dates, which makes it easy. It auto-assigns people, and when you're starting to type in, it auto-fills and populates for you, which is great. It provides little time savers when you're typing everything out."
  • "It should be easier to break things. Breaking up the visualization from the task is sometimes a little bit tricky to do. You can do it, but it takes a minute. It's not an easy function to do. The way you have to format it and stuff like that takes a minute."

What is our primary use case?

I mostly use it for big projects and rolling out solutions. I have used it for rolling out a new POS system, clientele programs, and clientele loyalty. I have also used it for process changes that impact multiple departments, and there are key players in it to keep everybody on track. Once we move forward with a new forecasting tool, I would use it for that.

Over the last couple of years, it has been more of the newer version with it. I'm really basic with it because of the end-users. It means that I use it for all the pieces on certain things, but when it comes to the output, it is pretty basic for the end-users. It is an easy read for the end-users.

How has it helped my organization?

It did keep everybody organized. Everything was outlined, and everyone knew the expectations. It was a good check and balance for everyone to make sure that we weren't missing anything. When the project ends and you do the takeaway, it is like, "Okay. Next time, we got to make sure that we add XYZ to the plan for the scope of the plan." We make sure it is a good takeaway lesson in terms of what we missed.

What is most valuable?

It can auto-connect based on the dates, which makes it easy. It auto-assigns people, and when you're starting to type in, it auto-fills and populates for you, which is great. It provides little time savers when you're typing everything out. It is just like, "Oh, I can just click from a dropdown." Those types of features are really great, and this is where it kind of gets a little bit intuitive. At the same time, if you don't like what it is doing, it is easy to change it.

I like using it just because it is easy to use. It is pretty user-friendly and easy to figure out. It is definitely one of the better ones out there.

What needs improvement?

It should be easier to break things. Breaking up the visualization from the task is sometimes a little bit tricky to do. You can do it, but it takes a minute. It's not an easy function to do. The way you have to format it and stuff like that takes a minute.

I have been using this solution on and off for the last five years.

It is good.

Its scalability is good and up there. It is not extensively used in our organization. We're a small organization, and currently, only two people are using it. We don't have any plans to increase its usage.

At my past organizations, there were multiple people who used it. There were different types of users who used it, but it was always in the IT world. The IT users had different backgrounds. So, it was leveraged within each department, but with an IT-focused person as a relationship manager.

I have not had any encounters, but overall, my interaction with Microsoft has been great. Whenever I've talked to anybody or inquired about something further, it has always been positive.

I've used Gantt Chart before, but I don't like it. I'd rather do it in Excel. I just don't like the format and layout of it. It comes down to personal preference on some of that stuff. With my background and how I came about to even become a project manager, it makes more sense to do it in Excel than in some of the other ways.

I wasn't around, but it would have been pretty straightforward for the person who did it.

It probably would have been an in-house job. I know that's how it was with the old one. They might have had someone to help, but it mostly would have been done in-house.

What other advice do I have?

You have to find the right tool that helps make it easy and streamlined for you to manage. You just need to find the right platform. I would advise others to get out there and play with all of them and then find the right one. Do tests with them, and then figure it out. That works best.

I would rate Microsoft Project an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Paul Gruver
Sr. Project Manager at a legal firm with 201-500 employees
Included with Microsoft 365 and does everything I need it to do

• "It comes with our Office 365."
  • "The new version has made it a bit more complicated."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Project helps to manage our projects.

How has it helped my organization?

We can't say that there has been an improvement. We are trying to get to that point, but we are only into it with the new version for a month.

What is most valuable?

It comes with our Office 365.

We started using it and we stopped using LiquidPlanner.

I am most comfortable using Microsoft Project just because I have used it for so long, but we are still trying to figure out the new version at the moment.

What needs improvement?

The new version has made it a bit more complicated. We are trying to synchronize Project Online and Planner.

In Team Planner, there is supposed to be a way that you can sync your tasks in the Project Plan with Planner so that the project team doesn't necessarily need to use Microsoft Project. They can see what tasks are assigned to them, do them and update the status.

But, we haven't been able to figure that out yet.

They can make it easier to streamline the product.

When using Microsoft Project, the desktop and Planner don't seem to talk to each other as seamlessly as I would hope. It is possible that it is a user error and we have not configured it correctly. My IT team is new to it as well.

I have had approximately 20 years of experience with Microsoft Project.

I just started using the latest version a little over a month ago.

I have the desktop app and on the cloud.

At the moment we have an issue with synchronization with the planner. We are trying to get it to work by watching YouTube videos and the IT director has been working with the vendor to see how to get the functionality to work.

It's unknown if we need a plug-in or not. It is difficult to decipher whether or not it's us or them because we are so green with the product.

From what I can tell, there is a lot that you can do with it. Power BI, reporting, SharePoint, and Teams are all supposed to connect in some way, but, it's not as intuitive as I thought it would have been.

There isn't a lot that is available that tells you how to do this. You have to figure it out which is what we are trying to do. I wish that it was a bit more straightforward.

Currently, there are two of us who use Microsoft Project because we are trying to get it configured in a way that makes sense for our organization before we can bring in the rest of the team that may need to use it.

We have not used technical support.

Previously, we were using LiquidPlanner.

LiquidPlanner is a tool that you would use in an ideal situation for project management, which almost never happens. I can't get my organization to punch a time clock, and that is what LiquidPlanner is.

The initial setup is a bit more complex than I would have hoped for or that I am used to. Again, it is possible that it's a lack of know-how and education with this product.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest using an expert. Get an implementation vendor to set it up for you.

This solution probably does everything that I need it to do, but I just don't know how to do it yet.

I like Microsoft Project and it does everything that I need it to do, but it doesn't do everything. That's Microsoft; they always get you to about 80% there, and then you need some type of plugin or API. It never quite does everything.

I would rate Microsoft Project an eight out of ten.

AV
IT Project Manager at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
Good technical support with very helpful roadmap functionality and reliable stability

• "Technical support has been very helpful."
  • "We'd like to be able to see different timelines as a part of one task."

What is most valuable?

The roadmap functionality is very nice. All the dependencies and timelines are there.

The board mode and the list of tasks are very handy to have in front of me. It looks very similar to a Trello board. It's very easy to navigate and understand.

The stability is very good.

Technical support has been very helpful.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to have few more specific features, however, it's possible that Microsoft will decide to implement and deploy them in the future.

It would be nice, for example, if we have stages of the project, to have some tasks that can be split. We'd like to be able to see different timelines as a part of one task.

I'd like to see the dependency of one task but split into a few parts. I'm mostly working with infrastructure projects in the company. Sometimes I have to stop the implementation of one part of the project due to various reasons, and I have to switch to another task. I have to see the stage and stop and show in another part I'm taking in the work. I'm not stopping the project. I'm just switching tasks and I have to see when I can continue the previous response. I need to see that the one task continuing, but not all the time. Right now, the organization is done mostly in my head, however, it would be ideal if I could visualize it with adjusted timelines.

We just started using the solution a few months ago. We're still in the testing phase and haven't fully decided on what were are going to go forward with.

We didn't have any problems with the product. It's very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It works great.

We had contact with technical support on another project and had questions about our migration between two tenants. We talked directly to support and it was quite helpful to use them to get advice and assistance. We had a nice experience overall.

We've worked with Zoho One in the past, as well as a few other premium CRM providers. We were working on a full complex solution for our office that was a CRM with different other solutions. It was for complicated projects, however, we decided to switch to another software.

We are using currently using Office 365 and additional applications from Office 365 such as Branches, Project, and Power BI. We decided to have all the complex solutions from one company that offers connected applications, rather than just choose all different software without the basic platform from which we can connect. That's why we chose Microsoft Project.

We have three licenses. Three people have an opportunity to make projects, and two people are included in the project so they can see the timeline, the board, the task. They're quite happy with what they see in terms of being able to watch over the project.

While we're likely to use Microsoft, we're also looking at Jira, Confluence, and Trello.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users of the solution.

While we are currently using the cloud as we test things out, it's possible, once we make a concrete decision about Microsoft, that we will switch to an on-premises deployment.

Currently, I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten simply due to the fact that I don't know all the opportunities it offers us just yet. We haven't been using it for so long and need some more time to discover all the features on offer.

SM
Founder at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
Exceptional for waterfall methodologies, reliable, but better integration needed

• "In my experience, this solution is one of the best for the waterfall management model."
  • "The solution could be more flexible when it comes to integration."

What is our primary use case?

We used the solution for the waterfall framework model for management.

What is most valuable?

In my experience, this solution is one of the best for the waterfall management model. You are able to analyze, allocate tasks easily, chart, use different kinds of graphs, and the atmosphere is something similar to other Microsoft Office products. Having similarity to Office is the reason why it is easy to use. The majority of people already know how to use those pieces of software.

There are plenty of features in this solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more flexible when it comes to integration.

They added the Agile Framework also to their solution. I think Agile does not work with this kind of spreadsheet platform. Mainly for Agile, it needs something such as Kanban or Scrum board. There is also a need for a tool for brainstorming on a whiteboard online but this solution does not have this feature.

If the solution wants to match the Agile Framework, it would be better to add something similar to Asana, Kanban or Scrum board. This way companies and teams can easily create a sprint and follow up. It will be easier for the Scrum Master coach to facilitate communication between groups and teams. If they let people choose their Agile methodology, such as Jira, it would be better.

I have been using the solution for one year.

I had no problems using the solution, it operated fine.

Since the solution does not have some features to better use other methodologies it is limited. We have approximately 100 employees using the solution.

There are many communities for Microsoft products. I was not in contact with customer support.

You cannot easily do brainstorming in this solution. This is why we have evaluated other solutions and are currently considering a DevOps solution. When companies that want to transform to agility or Agile Frameworks consider going to some tools similar to Asana as a Kanban or Scrum board and for Agile software development, they might go with Microsoft Azure. This solution has been created for the Waterfall framework, and even if Microsoft added some features to use for Agile Framework it will not work because it has not been created for Agile frameworks specifically as Scrum or Kanban has.

The installation for doing the Waterfall methodology is easy. You do not need a lot of training, but if you want to do advance operations, such as Excel, you need to be trained. There are many pieces of training online on platforms such as YouTube and Udemy, people can easily learn. You do not need a special course or to have a certificate.

Our project manager does most of the implementation.

I do not remember the exact cost we paid but usually, they charge per user per month. The price is not that important for enterprise, they prefer to have something useful and works. If it makes your team more productive, then the price does not matter so much.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing this solution understand that is it best for those who want to stay with the Waterfall framework. First-time businesses in some industries such as construction, Waterfall is a better choice. It depends on the industry, but the majority of industries and companies are moving to Agile methodology.

I rate Microsoft Project a six out of ten.