Microsoft Project Review

Auto resource leveling and critical path analysis are great teaching tools for project management

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is teaching technology students project management.

How has it helped my organization?

Students have benefited from learning the de-facto standard for managing projects used by all the major companies worldwide.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Auto resource leveling tool because it shows students that often, expert resources get over-scheduled, and that dealing with the issue by just using the auto-resource leveling tool would have a large impact on the delivery date.

The critical path analysis reporting and tools are helpful because they show students the importance of understanding which tasks are on the critical path, and how a delay in any of those tasks would impact the overall schedule. It also shows where tasks that were not on the critical path had some buffer, and resources on those tasks could be re-allocated to other tasks.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have more access to templates and tools that could be used to teach project management best practices.

I have been using this solution for twenty years.