ServiceNow Discovery Review

Reliable, helps improve efficiencies, and uses AI to help build events

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to populate the CMDB and to track changes in our environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves process efficiencies.

When people need to query for information, they don't have to go to seven different people. They can go to a single source.

What is most valuable?

It does a good job of collecting the data that's necessary for data centers, and IT's operations.

When it comes to the internal data centers and the on-premise data centers, they are pretty good.

What needs improvement?

When you switch versions, for example, when you go from Paris to Quebec they will introduce many new things and occasionally things break when they do that. You usually find out after the fact when you stumble into it.

I currently have an issue that we just stumbled into, where our bucket wasn't populating correctly from my own Google cloud. They're trying to figure out how to fix that.

They should include support for Google Cloud.

I have been working with ServiceNow Discovery for ten years.

The version we are using is Paris.

It's a reliable product.

Scalability is pretty good, but they are lacking a bit in the Google Cloud realm.

They are really good in others such as Azure, AWS, and IBM. It seemed to have matured those a little better. Maybe the problem is with Google Cloud being a partner and keeping up with them. I am not sure where it's lacking. Is it ServiceNow or just Google Cloud?

Our users vary from technical people to managers to business people. We do it that way to assign costs so things could be lower.

With the first couple of reports, managers were surprised at the cost, but when you do it in increments throughout the year, you don't realize what the total is coming to until you get to the end of the year.

For the most part, ServiceNow has gone through a few growing pains. They have grown rapidly.

The first line of support is sometimes lacking. Once you get to the second and third-level people, they are good.

I would rate technical support an eight out of ten. After the first line, you can tell the person is pretty new.

We used Maximo Tatem and it was really cumbersome.

The data was excellent but you had two different vehicles.

You had your Discovery pool, and you had another server that took the data from Discovery. That had to be mapped into the Maximo database. You then had a Discovery server, with an in-between server that did the translation and put it into Maximo.

It was convoluted.

The Discovery engine was wonderful, but getting the data from Discovery back into the Maximo database was difficult.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

The price could be better. It's a bit on the pricey side.

As a product, they are probably right at the top. Their only competition I would say right now would be Dynatrace.

Dynatrace is missing a few things, but so is ServiceNow. You can take your pick, as they are both good.

What other advice do I have?

The data is really good, it's reliable and they keep adding to it.

They are using AI with a lot of cases to help build the events, which is good.

I would rate ServiceNow a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
More ServiceNow Discovery reviews from users
...who compared it with BMC Patrol [EOL]
Learn what your peers think about ServiceNow Discovery. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.