ServiceNow Discovery Overview

ServiceNow Discovery is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Resource Discovery Services. It is most often compared to Tanium: ServiceNow Discovery vs Tanium

What is ServiceNow Discovery?

ServiceNow Discovery finds applications and devices on your network, and then updates the CMDB with the information it finds. Discovery is available as a separate subscription from the rest of the Now Platform.

ServiceNow Discovery Buyer's Guide

Download the ServiceNow Discovery Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

ServiceNow Discovery Customers
York, National Grid, DXC Technology, experian, BEACHBODY
ServiceNow Discovery Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about ServiceNow Discovery pricing:
  • "It's a bit expensive compared to other products in the market, but it's worth the money you pay because it's far advanced in terms of features, automation, and capabilities compared to other products."
  • "This solution is a paid option within the ServiceNow framework."

ServiceNow Discovery Reviews

Mohamed Mansoor
Support Engineering Manager at Microsoft
Jun 27, 2020
Good service mapping, an easy initial setup, and very mature as a product

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for consolidating all the CIs and to make sure we've discovered all the network devices, servers, etc. It helps us maintain what we have and actually pulls all the information together horizontally and vertically in order to create a data model. We throw it into the CMDB where we can import the information and assign CIs for optimal IT operations. We use that probably twice a year, depending upon how much the changes are happening on the data center.

• "The process involving the original setup of the solution is excellent."
  • "The solution needs to improve the cost of the solution. There are a few different solutions and they do act the same and have the same types of capabilities, however, the cost is quite high."

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with the solution. I would recommend the solution to other organizations. If you are already using Service Now products, Discover makes for a good complimenting solution. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
reviewer1446474
Sr. Automation Consultant (ITOM/ITAM, Cloud, DevOps at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
Dec 11, 2020
Feature-rich with many plugins that integrates well, and they have a solid support team

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant. We implement solutions for our clients. The primary use case of this solution is to automate inventory management, asset management, and discovery. It also used to integrate with other monitoring tools for instant management change. Mainly, the primary use case would be the automatic management of inventory.

• "The biggest advantage of ServiceNow is the value that it brings."
  • "They can expand on the plugins for some of the other tools."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate ServiceNow an eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about ServiceNow, Tanium, Microsoft and others in Server Monitoring. Updated: January 2021.
455,962 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1315221
ITOM Specialist & Practice Leader, Solutions architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Apr 5, 2020
A great single system of records which allows addition of other modules

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using Discovery to make sure that we have a single record in the CI, or a primary source of truth. Most of our customers are buying ServiceNow from the CMDB perspective as well as Discovery. Very few have moved on to the next level, which is the service mapping. Our primary use case is definitely in terms of the CMDB because they have all the processes working in silos including the SS or the CIs, it's all managed in silos. That is our biggest problem. Everybody has access to the CMDB so anybody can actually update the records. The other thing is that we wanted to make sure… more »

• "It's a single system of record and it captures the relationships."
  • "Without improvement in the patters, applications can't be discovered"

What other advice do I have?

The advantage of ServiceNow is that it's a single system of record which allows you to build other modules on top of it. That's the advantage of ServiceNow, I would rate this product an eight out of 10.
reviewer1034670
Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jan 26, 2020
Stable, easy to use, and is a convenient option within the ServiceNow framework

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and I work with IT service management solutions such as ServiceNow Discovery.

• "The best part about ServiceNow Discovery is that it is included in the ServiceNow suite."
  • "The service mapping component is less developed than it is in other solutions, and is in need of improvement."

What other advice do I have?

ServiceNow is a fully cloud-based solution, but for the Discovery component, you are going to have a local server to perform discovery in the network. In fact, you need to have one discovery server in each local network area, within the secure zone. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Kamal Sharma
Technical Architect at Sysintegra Ptv Ltd.
Apr 26, 2020
Good Product and Best Solution

What is our primary use case?

Primary use cases are below: 1. Infrastructure Discovery 2. Perfect CMDB 3. Application Dependency 4. More clarity on running software in the environment 5. Reduce the cost Used this product for all environments

• "They provide the ability to see into the Discovery tools I want. They offer the best tool view."
  • "In terms of improvement, I would like for it to be possible to use without coding. I would like a dropdown so that every customer can do it easily for himself and can understand it."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend for ServiceNow. It's very good and straightforward. I would rate it a nine out of ten. The dashboard should be more clear so that I can clearly see the errors. It should be a single console. I want it to be categorized by which specific issues everything is facing.