ServiceNow Discovery Review

Stable, easy to use, and is a convenient option within the ServiceNow framework

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and I work with IT service management solutions such as ServiceNow Discovery.

What is most valuable?

The best part about ServiceNow Discovery is that it is included in the ServiceNow suite. With other solutions, it is a separate product. You still have to pay an additional fee, but it is within the same framework.

The architecture is really simple and it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The service mapping component is less developed than it is in other solutions, and is in need of improvement. For example, BMC uses a more sophisticated mechanism to make the link between the services and the infrastructure.

This solution is a little more difficult to manage because you have two CMDBs.

We have experienced no stability problems or technical difficulties.

We do not contact technical support directly because technical issues are dealt with by our integrator.

I have experience with BMC and Micro Focus solutions, and they are the two best products in this space. ServiceNow discovery is younger than either of these two solutions and although it is good, it is not as good as the others. The advantage of ServiceNow Discovery is that it is totally included in the ServiceNow Suite.

It is worth noting that the BMC and Micro Focus products are more than 20 years old. By comparison, ServiceNow is only about seven years old.

We work with an integrator who takes care of the installation. We describe what we want to see and the integrator does the job.

This solution is a paid option within the ServiceNow framework.

With most clients, we spend perhaps a week testing and evaluating different solutions before a decision is made on which one to implement.

What other advice do I have?

ServiceNow is a fully cloud-based solution, but for the Discovery component, you are going to have a local server to perform discovery in the network. In fact, you need to have one discovery server in each local network area, within the secure zone.

Private Cloud