Trello Review

Helpful Kanban board and good alerting, but it should support online conferencing

What is our primary use case?

My company is hiring an outsourced copywriter team for some content purpose. For the first time, we connect by email for exchanging writing documents. Unfortunately, performing tasks by email came up with a poor result that we could not control the progress when several team members participating.

Hence, we need communication software to control the process and results. File storage and process tracking are two key targets. Normal instant text messaging software like Skype or Messenger is not suitable in this case. We have come up with Kanban software, and Trello is one of the top selections.

How has it helped my organization?

It separates messaging and files storage, which allows us to handily keep up with updates. Accordingly, we can separate several projects and track the progress with the Kanban table.

In this case, we define tasks by preparing, in progress, and completed to divide results. The completed tasks would be paid from us, while in-progress tasks could be requested to change. Accordingly, I can see the progression of projects with several statuses. Additionally, I can also compare and track the quality of writing documents.

What is most valuable?

Since we use several tools, sometimes, we cannot signup daily to check progress. That’s why we appreciate the notification scheme from Trello. Trello will message me the updates. It allows me not to sign up for Trello daily without missing any progress from copywriters.

Another feature that impressed me is the clear Kanban board, as it provides a clear view of to-do tasks, reminding the team not to forget anything. Whenever I see the board, I can rapidly understand the overview of what tasks were done and what should be done. Additionally, colleagues could remind me when I miss any progress.

What needs improvement?

1. Video call and messaging for the online conference: 2020 was the time for remote working and online conferencing while social distancing deterred people from going out. I think, as an online collaboration tool, Trello should include an online meeting feature as it would allow members to meet, discuss, and share ideas.
  2. Analytics: Trello could add an analytic tool that allows me to see the performance of each team member, answering questions like whether they meet the deadline or miss the deadline. Besides, I want to know the time spent on each project and the potential issues that occurred.

I have been using Trello for team management and team collaboration for two years time.

Google
More Trello reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, monday, Teambition and others in Project Management Software. Updated: May 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.