UiPath Review

Saves us significant time, reduces repetitive tasks, and removes human error

What is our primary use case?

We are using UiPath to automate our cache application and to download documents to help our finance team.

How has it helped my organization?

We're saving a lot of time for all our associates in our company. As far as metrics go, each project that we complete is saving us on the order of 40 hours a month, so it's saving a lot of time.

It also allows our associates to do things that are more interesting, instead of having so much repetition in their jobs.

In addition, we've seen performance benefits because it removes the human error portion of running a process. It makes it easier for the owners of the process because they don't have to worry if they've made a mistake. They also don't have to look something up because the RPA would have everything for them, ready to go. Performance has improved a lot, as well.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's very flexible, so we can design our automation the way we need to. Some other RPA tools don't really allow us to use all the applications that for our team.

It's also very easy to use. There is a lot of drag-and-drop. There are many different ways to complete a solution. For example, if we're trying to manipulate Excel data, sometimes one solution will be really slow and ineffective, but UiPath gives us the ability to find multiple ways to do the same thing and complete the same solution much more quickly.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of solutions in UiPath where we have to know some programming languages. I'd like to cut some of that out, with features that perform those tasks without having to know programming languages. I work a lot with my team members who don't really know programming that well, and I have to walk them through how to do different coding things to effectively develop their RPA.

It can be complicated to get a stable solution, but once you're over that learning curve, it's very easy. At first, it's complicated to figure out how to get a stable solution using UiPath.

We're constantly having to use our solutions on multiple servers and expand to multiple teams, so we need to work a lot with IT. They support the servers and make sure the servers are a mirror of each other. If they're not a mirror, then it can be difficult using UiPath. But once they're a mirror, it's very simple to finish a solution and move it onto a different server or to a different machine, where someone else is using UiPath.

From my experience, technical support is very fast in responding. I will submit a ticket and, by the next day, they're already working the ticket and helping to find a solution, so it's been a very good experience.

We were using another tool before UiPath. The one we were using was Kofax Kapow and it uses a different style. It was very restrictive and they had to update a lot of features for us. There was a large learning curve, as well. When we started using UiPath, I felt the learning curve was smaller and we could get into it a lot easier. It was less restrictive and more versatile in what we could do with it.

When we first started learning UiPath, they gave me the project to install Orchestrator and Studio into our server environments, so that was another learning curve for me because initially, the installation of UiPath was very difficult to figure out. But they've upgraded it since then and it's much easier now. We've now sent that function to our IT teams to do.

I believe Blue Prism was also under consideration, but I was not part of that decision.

What other advice do I have?

Use the forums and surround yourself with people who are technical. Use UiPath Support a lot because, if you don't have a programming background, it can be difficult to figure out how to organize your development in a stable way. If it's not stable, it's going to give you a lot of headaches trying to constantly maintain it.

For UiPath, we have about three different teams of developers in my department. Each team supports a different group in that department and each team consists of about three developers. In terms of maintenance, we're maintaining our jobs. Once we deploy a solution, we're currently maintaining it ourselves. Whoever develops the project makes sure that it's working, but we're also looking at other solutions for maintenance where we would give it to another team. All they would do is make sure the robots are running.

We've used UiPath RPA Academy training and it's a very good tool to figure out how well you know UiPath. I wouldn't use it as something to learn the tool, because there is a lot more in UiPath than is in Academy. But I like Academy because it confirms what I've learned is the way it's supposed to work. It gives you a good basic foundation.

I would rate UiPath as a ten out of ten. I think it's the best RPA tool out there, although I have not used the other one that people talk about, which is Blue Prism. From what I can tell, they're about equal, but my experience is with UiPath and I like it a lot.

3 visitors found this review helpful