UiPath Review

Enables people to do more value-added work and has accommodating technical support

What is our primary use case?

We use UiPath to log into a system, run a report, extract the information from the report, and send emails to hundreds of people, all in just seconds.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a requirement when someone leaves the agency that you have to remove access immediately but that wasn't always done. This allows us the ability to take the daily report when people leave and send notifications to the right people to remove system access.

What is most valuable?

UiPath allows people to do more value-added work. I found that we were able to take a person well versed in access programming and convert them to be an RPA developer with relative ease.

The UiPath Academy RPA training is phenomenal. Just the fact that they offer that information is a huge selling point for them. I continually share links to the site and I encourage people to go out. I tell them to take the training if they want to learn more. I started the technical training, but I kind of oversee the program, so I didn't have to learn all of it. Nevertheless, just the awareness of what RPA is and those intro-functional courses were very informative.

What needs improvement?

It was more difficult to use than we originally thought it was going to be. It's not as simple as drag and drop. You really have to have a background in IT development type of work. I suppose you could make simple automations but we definitely found it to be more complex, especially the supporting infrastructure beneath it.

I think where the improvement needs to occur is within the federal government to put out the policy that it has been determined to be a safe product that can be put on any DoD network. That would be huge, but right now that decision isn't out there and every agency has to go out and make its own determination. Some CIOs are more risk-averse than others. That would be one thing, but obviously, UiPath doesn't have a way to influence that.

We don't know about the scalability until we get in there. From everything I've read and heard, I think it will be scalable and should fulfill our needs.

Technical support has been very accommodating. In fact, they'll be on site to help us overcome some of the challenges we've had without having third-party integration support. We've been struggling on our own, but UiPath has been there and has even agreed to come onsite to help work through some of these issues.

We have automations everywhere through the agency. There were a lot of presentations being held. Senior leaders started to get wind of this and other organizations were sharing their successes and that kind of piqued our interest to assign somebody to explore it.

The initial setup was complex. I've just seen the emails that go back and forth and I think if we had a third-party integrator, it would have resolved a lot of our questions. The security aspects have been our biggest challenge and concern.

We absolutely have a return on our investment. It gets difficult to really quantify what the ROI is when you start looking at that. Just the ability for technicians to do more value-added work is hard to put a price on. We have a system that stores a lot of documents. Our pilot bot was just to log into that system and download the documents for audit purposes. Now we can literally let the bot run for 12 hours pulling all the documents and those people can do more important things.

The pilot bot we set up to send those emails, equated to about 350 hours a year. The audit bot is almost endless because if we can share those bots with our customers and the customers can do the same thing and achieve those same benefits, you're getting into millions of potential dollar savings.

This solution has definitely helped to eliminate human errors, as well.

It would be nice if you could just buy the product instead of having the annual rate license renewals. I assume that's how UiPath makes its money. It's expensive, but I guess we'll have to do the business case to see what the ROI truly is.

Automation Anywhere and Blue Prism were really the main competitors. The UiPath Academy, for one, was a big selling point. Other than that, just having conversations with other government agencies that have used UiPath and have succeeded in that development helped us make the decision to choose UiPath.

What other advice do I have?

We have hundreds and hundreds of IT technical specialists. We have very sensitive information that must be protected, which is IT's primary focus.

I would rate UiPath as nine out of ten, not a ten just because of the pricing.

My advice to someone starting out with UiPath is to get third-party integrator support.