UiPath Review

It has a simple user interface where you don't have to write code

What is our primary use case?

I personally do a lot of process automation and data visualization. I work with a lot of people in procurement and finance to pull data from a lot of different systems, consolidating it, and creating reports, then presenting it. What I do a lot of is taking that consolidated data and creating automated reports with Microsoft Power BI and visualization tools. A lot of where people get hung up is pulling the data and the amount of time it takes to do that. So, people want to be able to automate their processes, as well as have my reports.

When I heard about UiPath, it addresses the initial problem of having to constantly pull data, get updates, consolidate the data, then model it in Excel or other sources, like databases. Being able to speed up that process, then connect it to automated reports, can fully lay out that entire pathway.

What is most valuable?

It has a simple user interface. We used to have the training onsite Friday and Thursday, and while I personally have a computer science and web development background, a majority of the people there were finance and were procurement who didn't have any technical background. Yet, they are able to learn it because of the GUI and hotkeys, because it is just enter, drag this there, and do that.

You don't have to write any code. You simply click function, open an Excel file,  and open web browser, then you just grab and drag it. This makes it easy to understand what you have to do and where you have to put fields.

What needs improvement?

It could be a little more aesthetically pleasing.

I would like it easier to find things. How it works now:

1. You look up all the different built-in functions that they have. Most are pretty straightforward. It is click in an open access web browser.
  2. If you don't know the name of what you are looking for, but if you want to be able to do something, then you have to scroll down the page and click it, if it's found.

I would like a better way to find the little things that aren't simply named.

I have only been working with it for a few days.

I haven't found any problems specifically using the tool. I have only had a few errors, but that is because of personal mess ups when I'm creating processes and a field is messed up or a variable is incorrect. I haven't had any crashes or faults with the free Community Edition and the bot that it has come with.

I have talked with the UiPath training staff who came to our site and worked with them. They helped us out with any problems that we had learning things.

I haven't communicated directly with any of their support team members.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It was easy for us, and we are government contractors. We had to get all the approvals, but once that was done, it was very simple to get it installed and set up. Then, you just have the desktop client right there.

I assume going through any of the training on the UiPath Academy that you would have an understanding of how to work through installation issues.

I see the potential for ROI and how much time it can save me on cutting down weekly and monthly reporting. It will probably save me five hours a week and another 15 hours a month.

What other advice do I have?

It is a tool, which does what you need it to do.

I went through two non-technical training course to get an understanding of using robotic process automation because I didn't know much about it before I started using the tool. That set me up well before the UiPath Academy to get an understanding of robotic process automation and where it's been going, because I didn't have much knowledge beforehand. However, I plan to go through the Academy training courses. I've heard that it's what UiPath uses internally to get ready for certifications.

More UiPath reviews from users