UiPath Review

Easy development for a .NET programmer, unattended robots save our teams a lot of time

What is our primary use case?

We are using Orchestrator for both development and production. We are using attended and unattended bots, and we are using Studio to develop them.

We use this solution for front-office processes, back-office processes, IT processes, and automating anything that we can.

We run our automations inside a virtual environment. We use Citrix and Citrix Server. We have sixty-seven processes that we've automated to run in the virtual environment and its very straightforward. It's deployed out of Orchestrator, and for attended processes, it's as simple as going in, opening a UI robot, and clicking the start button. It's phenomenally easy.

With respect to how easy it is to automate our company's processes, on a scale of one to five, I would say that it's a five. It's very easy. I'm a software developer by trade and I was able to automate several processes in a very short time span. In two weeks I can automate an entire process, end-to-end, which is incredibly fast for the ROI.

One of our processes was extremely complex, which was our customer onboarding process. The complexity was, in part, because it is handled by six different departments. The PDD for it was one hundred and forty pages long. One or two we've done were simple automations, and the rest have been medium to high complexity.

My first robot went into production within a month of me being in my position. That included going through all of the UiPath training, getting familiar with our IT systems, and then actually vetting out a process and automating.

On a scale of one to five, judging how beneficial it is, I would rate the training a five. It was very informative and very detailed.

We are using the unattended robots more than we are the attended ones, and we're trying to continue that drive. We understand that there's a need for some processes to run attended, but if we can, we do process optimization to make it work and be unattended.

How has it helped my organization?

We have definitely seen savings in time. I can only speak to one particular instance, which is one that I automated. It was taking a product marketing team roughly an entire month to process, so they were always a month in arrear processing invoices for orders. When we developed this quote-to-order process, it saved us something along the lines of seven thousand hours per month for the one group. I was able to shrink down what a team of twelve people was doing in a month's time, to about seven days.

What is most valuable?

Unattended robots are my favorite because it allows us to completely remove a process from a person's day. The process can be fully automated and scheduled out of Orchestrator to run. Whether it's several times a day or once a month or whatever it may be, that user no longer has to worry about whatever that task was.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for native C# capability. I have a .NET background, so it's easier for me to write in that language.

With respect to the stability, on a scale from one to five, I would rate this solution a four. There are some issues we've run into where we just can't exactly figure out what is causing the problems.

A robot would run through a process two to three dozen times with no issues and then on the very next run, it will stall in the middle of the process. When we tried to debug it, we can actually replicate that stall but clearly, it's not throwing an error. There's no rhyme or reason to why. It just stops and it just kind of hangs. I would say that it may be a stability issue.

The technical support for this solution is great. They're responsive, and always willing to help. We got infrastructure support to help us through an upgrade so I could actually migrate everything from our on-premises server into Azure. I would rate their technical support a ten out of ten.

This solution started as a homegrown operation by one of our satellite offices that downloaded a trial license and started using it. Once our IT department found out, we hired Deloitte to come in and talk us through the whole process. Then, Deloitte left and we started our own kind of homegrown development. The did not actually deploy it with us.

Prior to choosing UiPath, we evaluated Automation Anywhere and Blue Prism. There may have been one more, as well. We are a very large SAP shop, and UiPath was the only one that touted that it was integrated well with SAP. For the most part, it did.

What other advice do I have?

For anybody researching this type of solution, I would suggest that they try this out and they will instantly see the value.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

More UiPath reviews from users
...who compared it with Automation Anywhere (AA)
Start Your UiPath Free Trial

Learn what your peers think about UiPath. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.