UiPath Review

UiPath allows us to not only automate but to also do new things that would have previously required an army to develop and execute.

What is our primary use case?

We currently use an on-premise Orchestrator instance along with VDIs for Studio development, testing, and production Robots. We use UiPath in a few different ways: for repetitive high volume and or high complexity time-intensive tasks, for tasks with high error rates and or low error tolerance, and as a component in larger digital workstreams requiring the interaction of multiple systems and workers.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to roll out customized sales reports for every appointment for all 400 of our sales agents, which is something that was not even feasible before. It could not possibly be done by humans alone without hiring an army.

What needs improvement?

We have been patching together a number of different solutions to try and create a more holistic automation solution. The newly announced features such as Long Processes, AI Fabric, and improved attended dashboard will go a long way in solving those needs.

Eight Months

On a scale from one to five where one is not stable and five is very stable, I would rate the stability of UiPath platform as a three. We had a lot of trouble initially, most of which was our own fault. Migrating all development, testing, and production, to identical virtual machines to ensure parity helped tremendously with stability and reliability. We still have to be very careful with selectors though and have learned to not trust the default capture particularly with Java-based applications.

I'd say the customer support is nothing short of excellent. We've had access to both technical and business experts as needed, and have regular conversations regarding challenges, successes, and the path to full-enterprise deployment.

On a scale from one to five where one is the least beneficial and five is the most beneficial, I would rate the UiPath Academy RPA training for our team as a four. It's no substitute for programming experience and computer science knowledge, but one of our Accounting Analysts and a Process Engineer each completed the first course and within a couple of weeks were producing basic automations. It's a fantastic entry point both for non-technical and technical users to learn about RPA and get up and building fast.

Previously I've used Automation Anywhere and switched when changing companies.

Our infrastructure team handled implementation with considerable help from UiPath. On a scale from one to five where one is very bad and five is excellent, I would rate our experience with UiPath as a five. The service was excellent.

It took us about four months to see a return on our investment. In the last six months, we have saved about a hundred thousand dollars and we have freed up about five FTE (Full-Time Employees) of capacity.

Plan to scale from the start! We initially deployed with a single-node on-premise configuration to test everything out and validate the business case. Six-months later and we now have to stand-up a new environment that is critical-process-capable (multi-site/cloud, load balancing, log monitoring, failover, etc) and has the capacity to handle the number of robots and users needed as we roll out enterprise-wide. It would have been more cost-effective and much easier on the infrastructure team to plan it all out ahead of time.

We evaluated BluePrisim, Automation Anywhere, and UiPath. Our Process Engineers and citizen developers really liked the flowchart-esque UI and the business leaders were impressed by UiPath's ability to build a PoC for one of our worst processes in just two days.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to five where one is very difficult and five is very easy, I would rate the ease of use as a three. The flow is ideal for process-minded people and analysts, so they are able to navigate the UI and start building quickly. Our more advanced developers occasionally opine about the lack of an editor like interface and the need to click through a lot of UI elements to access more technical elements. Overall though, we feel it strikes a good middle ground, particularly when compared to other major competitors.