IBM BPM Overview

IBM BPM is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Application Infrastructure tools. It is most often compared to IBM Business Automation Workflow: IBM BPM vs IBM Business Automation Workflow

What is IBM BPM?
IBM Business Process Manager is a comprehensive BPM platform giving you visibility and insight to manage business processes. It scales smoothly and easily from an initial project to a full enterprise-wide program harnesses complexity in a simple environment to better meet customer needs.

IBM BPM is also known as WebSphere Lombardi Edition, IBM Business Process Manager, IBM WebSphere Process Server.

IBM BPM Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM BPM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

IBM BPM Customers
Barclays, EmeriCon, Banca Popolare di Milano, CST Consulting, KeyBank, KPMG, Prolifics, Sandhata Technologies Ltd., State of Alaska, Humana S.A., Saperion, esciris, Banco Espirito Santo
IBM BPM Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Chief Enterprise Architect at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
Very stable and robust but is not easy to implement

• "This solution is very stable."
  • "We care about technology and support because support is very important and a BPM is not easy to implement."

What other advice do I have?

We care about technology and support because support is very important and a BPM is not easy to implement. The concept may be easy but the implementation is not, and it depends on a lot of customer requirements. You need to have a very good support team, both functional as well as technical. The tool itself is not the most important factor. I would rate this solution as seven out of ten.
Uriel Zamora
Technical Service Advisor at PPG Industries
The integration layer is powerful in the advanced version

What is our primary use case?

Process automation.

How has it helped my organization?

Traceability Fewer humans errors.

What is most valuable?

The integration layer is powerful in the advanced version.

What needs improvement?

It should have a more powerful and faster form builder, also the license is complex using PVUs.

Three to five years.

Excellent but some network latency should be prevented for development since Web Process Designer is collaborative and distributed

Very good! horizontally and vertically

Learn what your peers think about IBM BPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Luis Yndigoyen
Partner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It helps improve your process through continual measurement and have a online monitoring of the performance

What is our primary use case?

I was a consumer of the IBM products and implement IBM BPM in Latin America. I stopped being an end user of IBM products in past year, but still implement products. Primary use case is more than 80 percent financial services, banks mainly, but also insurance: * Banks or organizations use it for credit cards or for opening accounts. * Insurance use it for checking insurance claims.

• "It excels at analytics. It provides visibility across all activities of a company's processes and performance."
  • "It helps improve your process through continual measurement."

What other advice do I have?

It is the Ferrari of BPM tools. To implement this product, you should have a process department and an ERP. Without an ERP solution, the transactionality of the BPM will not work. IBM Case Manager can assist you if you have a process that is unstructured. It is a very advanced tool, but very expensive. When I am looking at selecting a vendor for my client, I consider: * The size of the initiative * The cost of the licensing or subscription * Training * Availability of a consultant to implement the solution. I was a previous IBM partner in Mexico and Peru.
    John Bucknavage
    Business Development Management at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It helps maintain, often lowering costs, as well as maintaining those costs and keeping them stable

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to take a lot of the business processes from the client portfolio and smoothly, seamlessly transfer it over into a solution for them to grow their business. The key ideas are to eliminate a lot of the proprietary footprint in development and try to seamlessly go with their business logic in a framework, which we have developed, and be able to mitigate a lot of the risk and to make the front-end interaction with the customer optimal. We use the solution as a workflow platform to manage processes. It really gets into understanding the business logic of the clients, seeing… more »

• "It helps maintain, and in many instances, lower costs, as well as to maintain those costs, keeping them stable."
    • "I would like to see a lot more case studies."

What other advice do I have?

Stay as close as you can to what the current business model is; don't try to reinvent or recreate it. Just because it has appeal on all the buzzwords and new technologies, stay with what you've currently done and utilize that in each incremental stage. I always like to have an early start. I find early adopters to be amongst the best proponents. In every case, I would like to get in earlier. I'd like to see a lot more partners come forward in the present. This is where IBM has stepped forward previously and helped me in our world.
    PS
    Managing Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It continues to keep up with the changing needs of the business. It's not a one-time automation.

What is our primary use case?

It allows for model-driven development, easy to use drag and drop type configuration, integrations, reporting, etc.

• "It continues to keep up with the changing needs of the business. That is the strong value proposition of BPM. It's not a one-time automation."
    • "The user experience, while it has improved, should continue to improve."

What other advice do I have?

If you're not leveraging these types of technologies, you're missing out.
    PM
    Group Manager at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Provides the power to understand and automate processes

What is our primary use case?

The power to understand and automate processes.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows the business to make changes going forward. It gives them a bit more power and accountability for some of their processes.

What needs improvement?

The business would like to use the product with a lot less IT and equipment involvement.

Initially, we were using the cloud solution for BPM. As we keep building up the versions, it has become a better solution for us. There were some things we stumbled stumbled upon that we would have expected a bit more advanced information from IBM, but we are now more informed.

We are going to try out a hybrid…
    Nick Laughton
    Principal Consultant at a tech services company
    Our customers use the solution as a workflow platform to manage their processes

What is our primary use case?

A good portion of our customers are in the financial services industry, so back office processing related to financial services.

• "Our customers use the solution as a workflow platform to manage their processes."
    • "Better integration with other products in the automation suite."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend IBM BPM. It comes down to the speed of implementation: How fast can we build something which our customers can use in their business and run with.
    JB
    Client Engagement Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Provides agility in modifying processes, but it's still challenging for non-tech users

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use it as a workflow management platform for processes. We have a wide range of customers in terms of the types of processes. We've worked with a couple of the very large accounting firms on, for example, tax calculations for commercial clients. Think of it as TurboTax, but for commercial customers. We also have onboarding use cases - every BPM product out there just supports onboarding. We have several of those types of use cases as well.

• "Agility is the key. It gives our customers a faster way to be able to implement processes, get ownership of task, visibility into a process. The ability to modify that process, optimize that process over time, is probably the biggest benefit that they get from the software."
    • "Also, we would like to see integration with artificial intelligence, machine learning-type of technical capabilities. Right now, there are a lot Watson libraries out there. Building those integrations more, out-of-the-box, from IBM would be a good direction."
    Harry Mavrakis
    Head of IT System Integration at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    It benefits from integration with a robotic process automation tool creating a reduction in FTEs

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to automate specific processes in cooperation with robotic process automation. We have some manual tasks that we want to automate and are using this to link different tasks under one process.

• "IBM BPM and Automation Anywhere working together automate manual tasks with a reduction in FTEs, creating about a 30% reduction in FTEs by automating processes."
    • "I would like it more documentation during the design phase."
    • "We would appreciate more user-friendly definitions of processes with a more user-friendly interface for documenting processes."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Price * Sales support * All the technical requirements or functional requirements of the product.
    it_user841962
    Senior Middleware Engineers
    It has reduced a lot of manual errors and processes. Performance could be improved.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the approval of mortgage insurance.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced a lot of manual errors and processes.

What is most valuable?

The process flow. The BPM workflow that we use goes through the underwriting, approval from the managers, then it needs the loan approval.

What needs improvement?

We would like better performance and more visibility on each step of the tool.

It is pretty stable. Sometimes we have performance issues. Otherwise, it is good.

We have two nodes in the cluster environment. This is the scalability that we do have. If we need to increase it, we can add a node to the cluster.

How

it_user840876
    Business transformation manager at Financiers efectiva
    We are implementing the tool to triple our monthly transaction volume

What is our primary use case?

We are changing the major database in our financial sector. We moving to a paperless process and added a risk engine to make the decision for each loan. We use it to evaluate each loan. We have people doing the evaluation of each loan and use BPM to accelerate the process by having metrics between tracking points. We are use validation on the screens to avoid errors. We are also using ODM and Avast Enterprise Business services.

• "We like that it does not require a lot of hours to train our people."
    • "It is efficient in reducing costs."
    • "We are implementing the tool to triple our monthly transaction volume."
    • "​The initial setup was complex. It is not always easy to launch a new platform and it needed better coordination with IBM."
    • "It needs more customization. We like to customize the screens to show more things related to our company."

What other advice do I have?

Start with a PoC. Do small changes, then take a step back and grow with the platform. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Experience, teamwork, and resolution, because any project has its complications. We want a partner who will resolve these problems quickly.
    it_user844515
    Associate Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Provides value and simplifies processes

What is our primary use case?

We use it for human resources and insurance companies, who use it for their recruitment processes. It has been performing well. Our clients use it for recruitment. There is a big recruitment process for each department. When they recruit somebody, the IBM BPM solution has a work process: * If he is commercial, rent him a car or a phone. * If he is only technical, there is a process to have a desk or a laptop. We use BPM in conjunction with IIB, IBM Integration Process.

• "It provides value and simplifies processes."
    • "We need process monitoring. It is somewhat complex to monitor all the processes which work."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * A proof of concept * Our certification of IBM products * Our added value on these solutions * Other customers' recommendations.
    it_user844509
    Operations Leader at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Makes the company business processes work more efficiently, but needs integration with cloud services

How has it helped my organization?

The product causes all the processes in the company to be centralized. It helps with process efficiency.

What is most valuable?

It makes the company business processes work more efficiently.

What needs improvement?

All our clients are changing to microservice and cloud service. However, BPM does not have a solution for microservice and cloud service. It needs more integration for API management and cloud services. Also, it could maybe use a connection with microservices.

BPM is very stable.

It is scalable.

I have not…
    it_user844506
    Integration Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

As a bank, any business processes which run on it: * A treasury application * A lost and stolen credit card application * New accounts, etc. There are many use cases that are now administrated through one BPM processor. It has performed pretty well. One of the concerns, which is a question of our processes more than the product, we like to do a monthly release cycle and that is not fast enough for some people. Therefore, we have created a separate BPM that we call our DevOps box, which allows them to update it anytime they want. This is in production. We use it as a combination of machine… more »

• "With the Process Center, I can go to one place and view what all the environments are doing."
    • "Scalability is good. In the time that I have been there, we have added more JVMs to help with the increased workload, so it does scale."
    • "Technical support is good. They are very responsive. It is usually me who takes more time to get back to them than they take to get back to me, which is good."
    • "We had a weird problem that whenever the database would go down, even for a few seconds, it broke the connection. It would not come back up as it was supposed to. However, working with IBM, we were able to figure out a fix, then it came back up, even after an interruption of the database."

What other advice do I have?

Try it out on a small scale. Do one project which is relatively simple, then work out the bugs this way. Do not try to put too much in it at one time. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We are a bank, so security is extremely important. We are looking for someone who is going to be here a year from now, and someone who will support us. The number one thing is support. If we are down, we want somebody helping us now, because we can't be down.
    it_user844503
    Development Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    We can scale by increasing the infrastructure. Though, we have been experiencing bad performance and instability.

What is our primary use case?

Implementing and automating business workflows. We use it for automating certain processes which previously took a lot of time for agents to set up different products for customers. They would have to enter a lot of different systems. This has now mostly been automated. It is running okay, though we have experienced a little instability lately.

We have been experiencing bad performance and instability.

We can scale by increasing the infrastructure which is currently running.

We are receiving good assistance from the technical…
    Wouter Huitema
    Dev Ops Applications at Delta Lloyd

What is our primary use case?

Automating business processes to reduce the amount of people in the business. For example, when policy participants go on pension, then we automate the process by sending letters automatically, setting reminders, etc. By automating several tasks, we have already reduced a lot of work for the business.

• "Technical support is pleasant to work with and always available."
    • "We made the transformation to agile. Altogether with BPM, it is the total package."
    • "By automating several tasks, we have already reduced a lot of work for the business."
    • "Consider an admin console during deployment. I would like to migrate single instances, not the whole bunch at once."
    • "The initial setup was complex."

What other advice do I have?

Build in phases, then extend afterwards, piece by piece.
    it_user844494
    Integration Specialist at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Streamlines automation of repetitive tasks

What is our primary use case?

We use it for an insurance process. IBM BPM automates the processes. We use it for handling all the human tasks, people who were doing repetitive tasks, the tasks are now done by BPM. We don't use it in conjunction with IBM Case Manager or any other IBM automation products, yet. But we're looking at the RPA stuff.

How has it helped my organization?

For our company, it's cost reduction.

What is most valuable?

What they're doing right now with RPA is a a good move.

What needs improvement?

There are some things, but nothing off the top of my head. I would have to think about it.

Stability is good. We've never had any downtime.

The…
    Managing Director at Couture Consulting
    The most valuable feature is the Analytics, but more emphasis is needed on process improvement

What is our primary use case?

BPM is very horizontal solution, so it can be used across any kind of industry. Financial services is the largest one - banking and insurance would be the biggest sector for BPM. But really, it's anything where there's a situation where a request comes in the door and has to be serviced, or at least that use case fits most of the time. But my biggest project at the moment is telecom infrastructure for mobile phone tower installation of antennas. In terms of how our clients use it for workflow, first of all they're just going to implement what the process is. It's very similar to any kind of… more »

• "Its Analytics is the most valuable feature."
    • "I'm hearing things might be improving, to really deliver on BPM as opposed to simply workflow. That really should be emphasized a lot more than it has been, because a lot of customers will simply implement the process and leave it there, because the product maybe doesn't emphasize BPM as much as it should, as much as maybe they talk about it in the sales process. The whole idea of BPM, is to iteratively improve the process, and in order to do that you have to have the analytics tool with it. A lot of times that doesn't go as far as it should simply because there's a lot more work to be done for that to happen, and just some sort of technical limitations that don't make that as easy as it should be."
    • "I would say the scalability is very good but it's not perfect. It is much more scalable than it has been in the past but... it does require some work to keep it stable. So that is an area that should be improved."
    • "The engine itself tends to accumulate a lot of data that needs to be cleaned up, and that's the kind of thing that keeps it from, in some scenarios, scaling as much as it needs to. And then, when you're building solutions, if you're not careful to keep the screens from being associated with too much data, if you're going to just do things the way that a lot of people would just assume that they can do, without having experience of having made those mistakes before, it will accumulate a lot of data, and that will cause it to perform very badly."

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM BPM a seven out of 10. It's good but it needs some help.
    it_user842910
    Application Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The simplicity of business orchestrations and developing process applications is key

What is our primary use case?

Mostly for business orchestrations, and developing the process applications within Wells Fargo Advisors, and we have other lines of business like retirement, wealth, etc. So we basically build the process models for all the internal back-office operations.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate BPM an eight out of 10. Again, this is all from my infrastructure platform support standpoint. We do have a lot of application development, testing teams, QA teams, they also interact with the BPM product. But my job is more platform topology, architecture.
    it_user842886
    Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    We have been able to automate formerly paper-based workflows

What is our primary use case?

Most of the use cases are for fraud investigations and managing the cases. We also use it regarding account opening. It's all related to financial services and banking, so it's all about account opening, fraud investigations, KYC, pretty much around the financial services processes. We use it for workflow management. For example, when the customer requests opening of an account, they reach out to the customer and they initiate the process. Then it goes through the KYC process and it comes to the account executives to determine whether they are eligible to open the account. And of course, there… more »

• "Enabled us to convert most of the paper-based work into an automated workflow process, and some of them were converted into straight-through processing, with no human interaction involved whatsoever."
    • "It's a bit technical, related to the instance of migrations. It's a tough thing to handle, in every new release, in every upgrade, that we have to do things in the applications or in the product. I think IBM is working on it but I know there are a lot of requests coming in from different organizations on this."

What other advice do I have?

The important criteria when selecting a vendor include looking at * the licensing cost, obviously * the infrastructure needed * scalability * resiliency of the product * the enterprise direction, where they are headed. Most of the time, time to market is also a consideration. IBM BPM does these pretty well.
    it_user842871
    IT Consulting Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    The tool brought awareness to what our business processes are

What is our primary use case?

We are doing a lot of transaction processing for 401ks, moving processes out of a legacy workflow system into IBM BPM. Our workflow processes are initiated from the web. They will start a process on the back-end, and move throughout all the steps necessary to process distributions, loans, and relevant transactional work. We started with Process Server, even before IBM BPM, so it was 2006 to 2007. When IBM bought Lombardi, we converted over. So, it has been quite a while.

• "There are a lot of things that you get out-of-the-box: Timers and so on, which took a lot of effort and code before."
    • "It is being able to see the process, and understanding what the process is versus having to bury it in code somewhere."
    • "It has improved my organization quite a bit. It brought awareness to what the business processes are, even to the business side, who did not necessarily know what they are."
    • "Needs better reporting. I do not think that we are fully taking advantage of what it already has yet."
    • "I have an interest around the robotic piece, and integrating that with the processes. I think that is certainly a good direction to be going."

What other advice do I have?

It is a pretty good product. It does everything we need it to do.
    it_user842862
    Senior Web Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Workflows save us a lot of manual work when processing claims files

What is our primary use case?

We do claims processing and BPM is the product that we use to have the member ID's and codes added to it. Process Portal is where most of our business users log in and complete their work, that's the main use of interface. We don't use it in conjunction with IBM Case Manager or any other IBM information product.

• "Except for the Lucene the index - we had a couple of issues in the Process Portal where the Lucene index went out of sync, and we had to work at least 15 - 20 hours to have it back in sync with the database."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a nine out of 10. It's not a 10 because of the Lucene index issue. That cost us a lot of efforts in the production environment. It's a good solution in terms of stability and processing and response. We haven't ventured much on the other features that IBM BPM gives, like Business Space and Business Process Choreographer. I think other than the Process Portal issue, the other things are good.
      it_user841923
      Application Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      The integration of this tool within other IBM tools makes it easier to implement and maintain later on

What is our primary use case?

We use BPM in order to process the entire data flow between our different applications to enable the data steward to take actions on some of the data quality issues. It was implemented last year. We have been in production a couple of months now. We have a team of data stewards who look at different data to determine and enable our master data management within the bank. We implemented a couple of different workflows targeted towards different actions. For example, we have an MDM, the master data management platform. We have different clients' profiles coming in from different sources. So… more »

• "Automating the whole workflow process to give our data steward the ability to take actions rapidly, and making sure we have all the data synced within the different platforms that we are using."
      • "We still have a couple of issues that we are working on right now with stability. Mostly on the configuration side of the tool, and it has been about a month that we have been working to stabilize the platform.​"

What other advice do I have?

The interesting part is the integration of this tool within other IBM tools. It makes it easier to implement and maintain later on. I would definitely recommend it from this point of view.
      it_user841953
      Development Manager
      Gives our business monitoring capabilities and visibility into inbound file status

What is our primary use case?

We use it for eligibility of inbound data, so anything coming from the clients, loading it into our system. We have a product called Peer, and we use the BPM tool within Peer for business monitoring, dashboard for business, so they can monitor the status of the files. When a file comes in it has to decide whether it has to decrypt the file - some of the files are encrypted - or whether we have to unzip the file, and which platform to send it to - we have multiple platforms. It has some intelligent process built in, so it knows exactly where to send it. And there is a lot of reporting coming… more »

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor is stability and support. BPM is an established tool, there shouldn't be any second thoughts about using it.
      it_user841938
      Team Lead Db And Middleware (operations) at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
      For us, it's all about the ability to automate decisions, based on pre-programmed rules

What is our primary use case?

BPM is one of several IBM products, part of a big platform that we have, which includes BPM, ODM, IIB, MQ, and DataPower Gateway, as well as API Connect. It's a part of a big solution. The idea of this big platform was to go from our old, monolithic development environments that were static, to something that is much more flow-oriented, and much faster to develop. We are a logistics company, and everything is "events." The old fashion way to solve everything that was event-related was to store it in a database, and use and treat the data once it was in the database. Today, what we want to do -… more »

• "Where it can be improved is Integration. I think that the direction that IBM is taking now, to have something that is much more integrated, that can be seen as one single solution, is clearly the right way."

What other advice do I have?

If time matters, if your company has a lot of processes that could be automated, BPM is the right solution, definitely.
        it_user841932
        Sr Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Performs well, stable, handles a large amount of work for us

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is to process a lot of the workflows for the different companies that we support within the insurance industry. So far, it's performing really well. We've been migrating everything off an old BPM system into this, to keep it more modern. And so far, so good. It gives us a lot of functionality. In terms of how it's used as a workflow platform to manage our processes, I can't really talk to that. I'm more on the technical side, I install the product. I don't do any of the development or workflow management pieces of it. I just get it running and make it available so they can use… more »

• "I think the best way it can be it improved, is to make it easier to install. It's a very complicated piece of software, and there are a lot of things you have to do to get it set up. It's not just running an installer. You install WebSphere. You install the BPM product, and there's a large host of other steps you have to do: run queries against the database, you have to manually configure a bunch of properties files for your environment. I think if they could streamline all that, so it wasn't a considerable effort to install, that would be very useful. Because from an engineering point of view, you want to spend as little time as possible actually installing a product."

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to thoroughly read the technical documentation on the product first, so you know what you're getting into. When I first had to do it, I just figured I would go to IBM documentation and follow the steps and not read it ahead of time. I realized that it was much more complicated than that, which is why I come back to my earlier statement of make it easier to install. I think it's incredibly powerful so I give it a solid eight out of 10. Our user base seems to be really happy with it. It's just from the technical side, I'd like it to be a little easier.
          it_user841902
          Integration Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Improves our ability to change or update our processes, helps us avoid paperwork

What is our primary use case?

We've been using BPM for most of the enrollment process, for banking, infrastructure, the financial side. So we've been using BPM to improve our business management process. Performance so far has been pretty good. We've been using for almost five years now. A lot of auditing is in there, so we're pretty good with it. We will be using the automation product, that's a new version, I think. These are new things we just learned about it. So we'll be discussing that more now.

What other advice do I have?

On the infrastructure side, I'd rate this a 10 out of 10. I would recommend this solution, it's a pretty stable, good environment and platform for business process management.
          Dwayne Fishel
          IT Systems Engineer Consultant at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
          Enables business to change procedures as needed, even daily, keeping them up to date

What is our primary use case?

We're using BPM in our policy area for when we deploy new rates. We're an insurance company. We change rates based on market trends, or analysis, or new vehicles in the market. We try to get those change requests in, process them, and get them back out so our rates are updated for market share. We had been using a process that was very manually intensive. We use BPM to take that manual process and automate it from start to finish. When the product manager requests a change, it will go to the pricing analyst, they'll do their work and it's all organized and coordinated in sequence, so that they… more »

• "There is information during the process that the analyst will look at, their procedures. We created a part of the application such that the business can change those procedures as needed, on a daily, weekly, monthly basis. As the reps go through the process, they don't necessarily know it's changing, they just know they have to refer to some documentation, and the business can keep that up to date."
          • "They have some quick-win programs that are designed to come in, they'll bring a developer in and they'll work with your developer to get you started. That's what we did and that worked really great. We got an understanding of the product, we got an understanding of how to deploy the product. And when we were done with that engagement, we were off and running."
          • "I would like to see more inclusion of RPA technologies. If we have more manual processes, we can use robotic process automation and integrate that in with the solution."
          • "We thought there might have been a little more discussion early on about, "Hey, if you're doing this, set it up this way," or some best practices or some guidance that we didn't get."

What other advice do I have?

I think this solution is an eight out of 10. It has a strong place in the market. BPM is one of the leading tools, if not the best BPM solution out there. It has extensibility across the platform to allow you to do any number of things. It gives you scalability and functionality, breadth to handle just about anything you need to do. Regarding advice, if you're not using a partner, use a partner, or use IBM to get some consulting services to help you get started. They have some quick-win programs that are designed to come in, they'll bring a developer in and they'll work with your developer to…
          Gonzalo Varalla
          CIO at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Software process modeling enables us to develop use use cases directly with internal customers, but usability needs some work

What is our primary use case?

I work for an insurance company and we use BPM to digitize two of our main claiming processes, to make them paperless. We use it as a workflow platform and little more than that, because they are interconnected with other platforms of ours: our legacy systems, our customers, our partners, providers, etc. There are two BPM applications we developed with IBM, as a partner, to follow the bottlenecks and those kinds of things. So, I would say that it is more than a workflow software for us.

• "One of the most notable things is how you can develop use cases with the customers, internal customers, but directly within. The software process model that BPM supports is really exciting in that aspect."
          • "The people working on the front desk are having some problem with managing the documentation. For instance, they get a picture, and if the picture comes rotated 90 degrees, together with a picture that is not rotated, they have some problems dealing with that, technically. There are some minor aspects that on the usability side that are still lacking. That has to do with FileNet, too, I'm talking about the suite together."
          it_user840888
          Chief Innovation Officer at Habib Bank Ltd.
          Allows us to run simulations quickly, before putting them into production

What is our primary use case?

We're looking at automating and digitizing our processes. There are two use cases. One is centralization of account opening. That has been out there for just over a year. The second process that we picked is the consumer loans process, the loan approval process, the whole loan application. The loan application process has just been automated, so it's been there for about two or three months.That is what has been put on the BPM tool. So we use it primarily for managing the workflow of the loan application or of account opening for a new customer who walks into one of the branches. So far, the… more »

• "There is a component of this BPM pool - I can't recall the name. What it does is, it allows you to create various scenarios and then run them quickly, before actually putting them onto a tool. So I think that part of the tool is really fantastic, because that enables you to create scenarios, create simulations, before actually going out and putting it into the tool itself"

What other advice do I have?

I think it's worth looking at the IBM BPM solution. Certainly, when it comes in combination with the other tool that I talked about, where you can do a simulation, I think it's worth it. One should certainly look at it.
            it_user840882
            Tech Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            It is easy to take a requirement, put it in the code, and deploy it

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM BPM for brokerage operations transactions, and workflow and process automation for those transactions. We use it for straight workflow and process automation. We have some straight through processing (STP), but most of it is human intervention. Therefore, we will start a process, which will start by requiring some sort of human intervention step, like a review or approval, then it will post to a system of record afterwards. It has performed very well. We have had it for almost eight years. We will be hitting over a million transactions a day by the end of the year, so it is pretty… more »

• "It is easy to take a requirement, put it in the code, and deploy it."
            • "It is transparent to business users because it is mostly picture based modelling."
            • "We have used a lot of out-of-the-box reporting on the process performance metrics. We have been able to make suggested changes to staff for this role or streamlining by eliminate some activities where people were not requiring a lot of work in the first place."
            • "Everything is coupled together and comes as one solution."
            • "Stability wavers. We have some opportunities for improvement in this space, especially as we approach our target volume of a million transactions a day. It is tough, because it is not necessarily the product. It is more around the platform and infrastructure to support it, so the connectivity to the database, web sessions, and reverse proxies in front of that."
            • "It is a rather thick stack because you have to have WebSphere skills, IBM BPM skills, and an understanding of how the product runs on WebSphere. A lot of this will start to get a lot easier as they put it in containers, which will allow the platform to manage itself in some regards."
            • "Performance in the development environment space. I know that they have been taking it off the desktop version and putting on the web, and it is not 100% yet."

What other advice do I have?

It is more than just a new development tool for IT. You need a capability within IT to support it, run it on the right platform, and have the right developers to develop within it. It is somewhat of a unique skill set. It is not Java development nor web development, it is a hybrid of both. Most importantly, you need business partners who are process-oriented. Anyone can put processes in a line and call it a workflow, but if you have process engineers who can find eligible processes for management, this is really important. Your business partners should be willing to define metrics in the…
            it_user840867
            Lead Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            The drag and drop for linking processes in the Process Designer is good; our developers have found it easy to adopt

What is our primary use case?

We use it for process or case management in the healthcare industry. We use it to make sure that, when a case moves between operators, that the right level of people approve the workflow. It causes the processes to pull the information back in, so we can redact the case appropriately. When we started out it was a little painful, but as we adopted it to the healthcare industry practices that we have to follow, it has helped in faster development. We don't use it with any other IBM products. We actually built our own processes for how applications behave, so we use the process engine piece of it… more »

• "The Process Designer is good. We like how we can drag and drop and link the processes up, that works out great for us."
            • "One of the things that we are looking at is cognitive learning. IBM has another product called IBM RPA, I think, which is doing some of that stuff. We would like to see more of that with respect to cognitive learning and AI put back into the process engine to help."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice to a colleague who is looking this or a similar solution, I think it is based on the needs of the company, overall, in terms of the business capabilities, the business development, is it a stable platform. And at the end of the day it's the total cost of ownership which is the key. You always have to look at that from your company's perspective. IBM BPM might be the best tool out there, but if you don't have the appropriate training and funding it's going to be a challenge. That's true of any other tool too. That's why we're evaluating Pega and IBM BPM. Our teams are liking…
            OK
            Department Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
            Leaderboard
            Helped us move from paper to automated work, but complexity and instability are issues

• "The reach with Integration Adapters and support for adding custom Java code are valuable features."
            • "The product is extremely complex to use and administrate."
            • "It can definitely be improved in terms of performance and stability."
            • "Process versioning was tricky, not straightforward."
            • "Process Server is no more available than new products out there, but in general IBM has a high cost and complex setup."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others looking into implementing this product is "Don't."
            BharathiRaja
            Application Development Team Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
            The initial setup is quite simple and user-friendly to perform

• "The process creation."
            • "There are a few areas, like triggering mechanisms, externally exposed variables, and changing its values."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a product which should be capable of handling SOA principles, third-party integration, and effective user management, I highly recommend this product for you.
            it_user752187
            Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
            Allows for quick design and build of the workflow
            Valentine Kubheka
            Application Developer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
            If you encounter an issue, it just fixes the problem, so you may continue your process

• "One thing that I love about them is that they make it easier to integrate with other systems, especially with the use of smaller files."
            • "When you have to integrate files for enterprise applications."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for them would be to use the product for what it's intended for, and to not try to make it do anything rather than what it is intended for. Because there you will come across problems which you might not find the right software. Also, find people who are skilled in the product. Most of the time, when you come across problems, they were not caused by the product, but caused by the people using the product who are not very skilled in terms of using it.
            it_user745623
            IBM BPM | Front end Engineering | MonogoDB | Angular | Node.js at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
            When compared to other BPMs, it's very efficient for the developers to develop and deliver on time​ with an effective process

• "With the tester coach wherein you can interact with the interface while you're designing the process."
            • "If the processing gets better, it would be more efficient."

What other advice do I have?

When compared to other BPMs, it's very efficient for the developers to develop and deliver on time with an effective process.
            it_user743004
            Program Manager
            Integration with our core product (UI interface) enables flexibility in user assignment and management

What is most valuable?

Process Design, Integration Services (UCA), Event Management, Web Service Provision.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced the amount of code that we write in a process to achieve the required functionality. Also, the integration with our core product (UI interface) has improved and allowed flexibility for user assignment and management.

What needs improvement?

More features for user management and dynamic role change.

Three years.

Apart from the usual fixes (which any product encounters), generally the product works well in production.

Based on the sizing and hardware capability, we…
            it_user743001
            BPM & Middleware Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
            MSP
            Ability to add Java code as embedded .jar increases solution's flexibility, though UI could be simpler

• "The possibility to add Java code as embedded .jar, that increases the flexibility of the solution."
            • "IBM BPM uses JavaScript as a programming language for the server-side. I don’t know why it’s not Java, as it’s more powerful and the JavaScript part is translated into Java anyway."
            Thong Huynh
            BPM Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
            GUI designer feature enables creation of elegant, user-friendly, performant graphical interfaces

• "I would say that I like its GUI designer the best."
            • "Performance on large scale requirements could also be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This product is fully capable of enabling organisations to achieve business process improvement goals. Although, like any software project, IBM BPM can fail if you're not doing it right. You must have business buy-in before a BPM project can start. A BPM project will be more likely to be successful if executives understand and appreciate the value it can provide. Also, you need a strong partner to help with the technical stuff; building up a satisfactory IBM BPM solution requires skill.
            Carlos Alberto Kato
            Infrastructure Architect and SME IBM BPM at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
            ​Responsive Portal and Process Federation Server offer unified worklist but dashboards could be better

What is most valuable?

Responsive Portal + Process Federation Server. This set of solutions offers a unified worklist to our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Unfortunately, I am an infrastructure SME and architect. This question would be more related to development team and business process team.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of room for improvement of the dashboards.

Started with v7.5.0 in 2011, but a few months later we updated it to 7.5.1. I have been working with IBM BPM since 2011.

Yes, v7.5.1 was the worst. v8.0.3 started to be more stable, but still complex to update. v8.5.6 is more reliable but we faced lot of problems with some development issues.
            it_user742725
            BPM Architect/ SOA Architect (IBM BPM) Senior Manager with 5,001-10,000 employees
            Responsive UI makes implementation easier to adjust on demand
            it_user742731
            BPM Consultant | IBM BPM Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
            Improves my organization through ​simple processes and automation

What is most valuable?

The Process Portal provides access to most heritage capabilities and introduces many new features, such as a mobile-ready user interface, the ability to edit and share saved searches, and support for federated environments.

How has it helped my organization?

Simple processes and automation.

What needs improvement?

Business areas.

I have used various versions of this product: v6.2, v7.0, v7.5, v8.5, v8.5.6, and v8.5.7.

it_user743025
            Expert BPM Developer/BPM Architect with 5,001-10,000 employees
            Saves time in QA team communication and collaboration

What is most valuable?

Very easy test management Good import/export features Very good JIRA integration Great customer support Good report templates, which are very easy to use.

How has it helped my organization?

Shortened time for test management  Saved time in QA team communication and collaboration

What needs improvement?

Import/export of attachments  Transfer of attachments to/from JIRA

Three years.

Not at the moment.

Not at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, I am using the latest cloud version on my current project. On previous projects, I have used in-house solution.
            IBM BPM Senior Developer - Lead Consulant at Capgemini
            Helps automate processes, also it easily manages and tracks business processes

• "The functionality to design UI to be responsive and can run on multiple devices."
            • "Integration with web services, especially in the standard version of the product."
            it_user742728
            BPM Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
            Deploying applications, adding/removing nodes, load balancing, and recovery mechanisms are tasks well supported

What is most valuable?

Compliance with the BPMN 2.0 standard Great out-of-the-box ECM integration Small learning curve Superb version control

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us visibility of key business processes. At the same time, it leveraged the capabilities required for spotting and making improvements in conjunction with BI tools that the company already had.

What needs improvement?

The new web-based IDE has plenty of room for improvement. The constant switch between Eclipse and its web versions can be annoying and confusing.

More than five years.

In general terms, the platform is stable. Though lately, we've had many issues after installing the most recent…
            Mahesh Gollamudi
            Sr BPM Developer
            ​Process Modelling, simulation and optimization, integration make this a good choice

What is most valuable?

Process Modelling, simulation and optimization, integration, UI components.

How has it helped my organization?

I have had the opportunity to work with various organizations that can be categorized as medium to large scale. Was able to successfully deliver process optimization and system integrations that helped the customer increase their ROI and improve their process performance many times over.

What needs improvement?

User Interface components could be further refined to enhance and extend customizations dictated by end clients.

Nine years.

Highly scalable, product offer two flavors: Standard…
            it_user623079
            Principal Business Process Analyst at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Process orchestration allows an organization to model and execute its business processes across functions

• "The system integration layer is valuable because this enables an organization to create a single point where all the key organizational master data is held in different IT applications across different functions, that can be accessed and updated."
            • "The setup was quite complex because the solution was cutting-edge at that time and IBM invested considerably in the implementation, likely at a loss to themselves."

What other advice do I have?

Start with the IBM Blueworks Live to get your house in order first. This is an inexpensive way of introducing BPM governance to an organization and it naturally leads to a BPMS deployment when the stakeholders recognize that the process models that are presented can be automated and the underlying data integrated across the organization.
            Ravi Suvvari
            Performance and Fault-tolerance Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Faster task loading to groups and users is needed but it is a good product for task management.

What is most valuable?

Process diagram in process designer Task management Process instance progress stages Dashboard and view Process portal and process manager

How has it helped my organization?

Good for managing tasks and it has also helped save revenue.

What needs improvement?

Faster task loading to groups and users is needed.

I've used it for six months.

No, it's very easy and can be deployed in less than 15 minutes.

Yes, sometimes there is a latency with the tasks flow, based on the table space.

Not in terms of users, but in terms of tasks there were…
            Senior Business Analyst at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
            It's a single-medium solution that's able to interact with each of our systems using specific adapters.
            Head of SOA Department at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            The event manager component of Lombardi didn’t scale well, but it's good for automating some important logistic-related business processes.

What is most valuable?

Development simplicity Transparency from a monitoring perspective

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to automate some important logistic-related business processes.

What needs improvement?

Scalability Performance

I've been using Lombardi Teamworks from 2009 until the present. However development of new features stopped in 2011.

There were issues with the blue/green deployment model, specifically old instances of BPM processes that didn’t handle correctly with new revisions of the same processes.

Yes, but they were related to issues with our underlying infrastructure component like…
            Consultant at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
            A great BPM product for big companies. It needs to offer more configuration options than coding options.

What other advice do I have?

Be careful about the technical architecture and migration planning/resources
            Download our free IBM BPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.