SCOM Overview

SCOM is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Event Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Zabbix: SCOM vs Zabbix

What is SCOM?
System Center Operations Manager provides infrastructure monitoring that is flexible and cost-effective, helps ensure the predictable performance and availability of vital applications, and offers comprehensive monitoring for your datacenter and cloud, both private and public.

SCOM is also known as System Center Operations Manager, SCOM 2012.

SCOM Buyer's Guide

Download the SCOM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

SCOM Customers
Dialog Telekom
SCOM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SCOM pricing:
  • "It is more expensive than the competition."
  • "If you have a Microsoft Enterprise Agreement, then this is part of the agreement."

Manager, Principle Systems Engineer and team lead at BCX
Best all-around, multi-features single interface, cross-platform monitoring solution for complex environment groupings

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to monitor the extensive system of services that we operate for clients.

• "This is a product that does more generally than any of the competing solutions."
  • "It lacks certain details that other products do better, like granular access and better application monitoring."

What other advice do I have?

As far as meeting our needs for a solution, I give it a nine out of ten. But it is interesting to rate the tool. My rating doesn't really have a context. It is mostly engineers that are using the product. In a sense, it doesn't matter what monitoring tool you use, the success of a monitoring tool is dependent on the engineers using it. The engineer has to make it work. I'm really not aware of the total number of users that we service and with SCOM I don't really need to know. I don't know much about the actual numbers except that we've got 28 clients. Each of the 28 clients has a different…
MB
Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feature rich, scalable and user-friendly, but open-source products are free and do the same thing

What is our primary use case?

We are using SCOM for service monitoring integrated with some third-party dashboard. It is our end-to-end service monitoring solution.

• "It is a user-friendly product that requires almost no maintenance."
  • "It would be a much better product if Microsoft provided management packs with the product."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people who are looking for a solution like SCOM would actually be to advise them to move from licensed software to open-source. You can go to Nagios or most other open-source products and they do the same thing as SCOM. There is no need to pay additional money to get the same services. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate SCOM as a seven-out-of-ten. It is a good product, but so are the free open-source products it competes with.
Learn what your peers think about SCOM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Information Technology Auditor at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Has good capacity and ability to send notifications but lacks agentless monitoring

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for SCOM is to monitor service availability and performance, such as operating systems. We also integrate some Linux based operating systems to monitor our databases. We also monitor the Microsoft Exchange. We are having some difficulties in the case of the monitoring a couple of our networking devices, so I wouldn't say that monitoring networking devices is also part of the primary use cases. I also have Internet Information Server and Application Service from Microsoft Monitor.

• "Availability monitoring is the feature I have found most valuable, as well as the capacity and ability to send notifications."
  • "In terms of features that could be improved, I would say the agent integration into the operating system. We are having difficulties integrating Linux into some of the networking devices."

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation to anyone looking to use SCOM is that they should start with the latest version because it's pretty difficult to update later. From an operational perspective and regarding migrating many devices and whole environments, it's better to start with the latest version for Service Center Operations Manager. On a scale of one to ten I would rate Microsoft SCOP a seven.
Monitoring Systems Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Reduces the effort required to start monitoring a new server

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for monitoring our Microsoft servers. In the beginning, we used this solution to monitor our Exchange servers. After we started using it, we went on to SharePoint, and then all of the Microsoft servers.

• "This solution saves us a lot of work because it reduces the effort that is required in order to start monitoring."
  • "All of the areas of reporting are very bad and need to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution, especially if your company is based on Microsoft products. For example, there is a new version of Active Directory and they contacted us to let us know that the monitoring is supported. On the other hand, the interface needs improvement, and there should be better support for monitoring Linux servers. If the user interface, reporting, and support for other operating systems are all improved, then this would be a perfect product. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
EP
Snr Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides us with valuable reports and insight into our infrastructure across the entire data center

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to perform server monitoring in the Windows environment.

• "It takes a lot of the headache out of managing your data centers and software in other places."
  • "On-prem network monitoring is something that could be improved drastically."

What other advice do I have?

I really know this product quite well, and I would highly recommend it. It is highly customizable and the automation is great. It takes a lot of the headache out of managing your data centers and software in other places. It's a fantastic product. If the network monitoring were improved then this product would be a ten out of ten. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Lead specialist at OKCIUS (Pty) Ltd
Good reporting and flexible customization, but application monitoring needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for infrastructure monitoring and application monitoring. Predominantly, it is for infrastructure monitoring in the Microsoft space.

• "This solution helps our application teams by allowing them to drill further into issues and perform a root cause analysis."
  • "The end-user components, including the dashboards, the administration console, and the web console, need to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody looking to implement this product is to plan properly. Overall, this is a good solution, but there is room for improvement in application monitoring and the dashboard. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
MM
IT SEC at a government with 10,001+ employees
Simplifies the monitoring process but it would be improved if it was entirely cloud-based

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use SCOM for monitoring and reporting purposes. The system enables me to monitor the usage of the system and to change the target or number of logs.

• "SCOM has improved our organization by simplifying the monitoring process. The system tells you what the bi-weekly or monthly usage was and that enables us to report this information to the manager. It shows if there was a connectivity issue that needs to be fixed and it's easier to concentrate on what needs to get fixed. System errors, therefore, get fixed faster."
  • "Then there is also an issue with capacity and limited space. That is something that needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This solution makes people's lives easier. Especially that of our manager. No matter what report or information you have, sharing it with him it makes his life easier. It enables him to see if there is capacity that needs to be increased or if there are things that can be deleted. I would highly recommend it. I would rate it a seven out of ten. I wouldn’t rate it a ten because I would like for it to be fully cloud-based.
SA
Project Manager at a tech services company
Enables us to monitor our internal work

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor our internal work.

• "The advantages of SCOM are that it is definitely user friendly and a more appropriate solution for what we need."
  • "I would like more customized reports. People should have some customization option on the dashboards for whenever they put multiple lists into it. Beyond customizing the content, there should be the ability to customize the colors so that they can engage some priority and mark challenges separately."

What other advice do I have?

One thing I would recommend to anyone considering this solution is to give more people access to it so that whenever people want to use the solution they can get information from past experiences and what's currently going on. Say for example I raised one concern in your query box, I don't know how it's progressing because it doesn't record that. You should give some ticket number to it and update it. In other words, sharing feedback even on issues you are not directly working on.
See 11 more SCOM Reviews