SCOM Overview

SCOM is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Event Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Zabbix: SCOM vs Zabbix

What is SCOM?
System Center Operations Manager provides infrastructure monitoring that is flexible and cost-effective, helps ensure the predictable performance and availability of vital applications, and offers comprehensive monitoring for your datacenter and cloud, both private and public.

SCOM is also known as System Center Operations Manager, SCOM 2012.

SCOM Buyer's Guide

Download the SCOM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

SCOM Customers
Dialog Telekom
SCOM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SCOM pricing:
  • "It is more expensive than the competition."
  • "We have an EA with Microsoft, and it comes as part of the EA."
  • "SCOM is part of the System Center suite and I am satisfied with the pricing."

MB
Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feature rich, scalable and user-friendly, but open-source products are free and do the same thing

What is our primary use case?

We are using SCOM for service monitoring integrated with some third-party dashboard. It is our end-to-end service monitoring solution.

• "It is a user-friendly product that requires almost no maintenance."
  • "It would be a much better product if Microsoft provided management packs with the product."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people who are looking for a solution like SCOM would actually be to advise them to move from licensed software to open-source. You can go to Nagios or most other open-source products and they do the same thing as SCOM. There is no need to pay additional money to get the same services. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate SCOM as a seven-out-of-ten. It is a good product, but so are the free open-source products it competes with.
Zahari Zahariev
Information Technology Auditor at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Has good capacity and ability to send notifications but lacks agentless monitoring

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for SCOM is to monitor service availability and performance, such as operating systems. We also integrate some Linux based operating systems to monitor our databases. We also monitor the Microsoft Exchange. We are having some difficulties in the case of the monitoring a couple of our networking devices, so I wouldn't say that monitoring networking devices is also part of the primary use cases. I also have Internet Information Server and Application Service from Microsoft Monitor.

• "Availability monitoring is the feature I have found most valuable, as well as the capacity and ability to send notifications."
  • "In terms of features that could be improved, I would say the agent integration into the operating system. We are having difficulties integrating Linux into some of the networking devices."

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation to anyone looking to use SCOM is that they should start with the latest version because it's pretty difficult to update later. From an operational perspective and regarding migrating many devices and whole environments, it's better to start with the latest version for Service Center Operations Manager. On a scale of one to ten I would rate Microsoft SCOP a seven.
Learn what your peers think about SCOM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MM
IT SEC at a government with 10,001+ employees
Simplifies the monitoring process but it would be improved if it was entirely cloud-based

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use SCOM for monitoring and reporting purposes. The system enables me to monitor the usage of the system and to change the target or number of logs.

• "SCOM has improved our organization by simplifying the monitoring process. The system tells you what the bi-weekly or monthly usage was and that enables us to report this information to the manager. It shows if there was a connectivity issue that needs to be fixed and it's easier to concentrate on what needs to get fixed. System errors, therefore, get fixed faster."
  • "Then there is also an issue with capacity and limited space. That is something that needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This solution makes people's lives easier. Especially that of our manager. No matter what report or information you have, sharing it with him it makes his life easier. It enables him to see if there is capacity that needs to be increased or if there are things that can be deleted. I would highly recommend it. I would rate it a seven out of ten. I wouldn’t rate it a ten because I would like for it to be fully cloud-based.
SA
Project Manager at a tech services company
Enables us to monitor our internal work

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor our internal work.

• "The advantages of SCOM are that it is definitely user friendly and a more appropriate solution for what we need."
  • "I would like more customized reports. People should have some customization option on the dashboards for whenever they put multiple lists into it. Beyond customizing the content, there should be the ability to customize the colors so that they can engage some priority and mark challenges separately."

What other advice do I have?

One thing I would recommend to anyone considering this solution is to give more people access to it so that whenever people want to use the solution they can get information from past experiences and what's currently going on. Say for example I raised one concern in your query box, I don't know how it's progressing because it doesn't record that. You should give some ticket number to it and update it. In other words, sharing feedback even on issues you are not directly working on.
TM
Systems Engineer at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
A cross-platform data center monitoring system with a valuable reporting feature

What is our primary use case?

We use it mainly for partitioning systems. All the systems' utilization and compute, uptime, and downtime. I also monitor a few applications through it.

• "Because it's Windows-based, it actually reports quite well. It reports everything you can think of on the Windows server and allows you to monitor anything. It's excellent for those in the Windows world as it's very good at it."
  • "The configurations could be better. There are multiple tests where you can do something, but they can be a trigger as well. The overriding methodologies are not that easy. The configurations are difficult. The configuration and thorough day-to-day operations to get them to the level you want takes some time. It's very difficult."

What other advice do I have?

If new potential users want to monitor a Windows platform or Microsoft Server-related platforms, I would recommend it. But if they want to manage anything else, they have to create a lot of custom things for them to work properly. On a scale from one to ten, I would give SCOM an eight.
NJ
SCOM Administrator at a government with 201-500 employees
An extensible and versatile product with good community support

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to monitor infrastructure and the Windows ecosystem. We also create distributed applications within SCOM to monitor our custom applications. It is deeply integrated into our systems.

• "The most valuable feature is the extensibility, as there are really no limits as to what you can do with it."
  • "The interface is a little bit cumbersome and certain actions could be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I find that this is a good solution but the presentation layer is really bad. If the interactive part of the console were improved then it would be better. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
OmidKoushki
Solution Architect at KIAN company
User friendly with lots or upgrade options and a straightforward initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We are using the System Manager in a state university. They have around 1000 workstations and clients, that were using a System Center Configuration Management to upgrade only those clients and Windows servers, as well as the WHS server.

• "They have great integration with the active directory."
  • "System Center just provided upgrade and update features for Windows clients, and Windows systems, and did not support Linux, Android, or iOS, and other operating systems. They need to provide better integration with other operating systems if they don't already."

What other advice do I have?

We are using System Center 2016. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It was mostly a very positive experience working with it. I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.
EW
Owner at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good integration with Microsoft Active Directory, very easy to extend to other sites, and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We work with our global team to produce software delivery packages and patches. We push the changes to the servers as well as to the computers of the end users.

• "I enjoy its integration with the Microsoft Active Directory functions, which means users, computers, or other group policies can connect with Windows Active Directory."
  • "There are some negative points about this product. Sometimes, the capabilities of the software don't appear, and you can't directly see the results. You have to wait for a long period to refresh the policy to push it to the software or other patches."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good software. I would definitely recommend this software. I would rate SCOM an eight out of ten.
See 5 more SCOM Reviews
Download our free SCOM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.