SCOM Overview

SCOM is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Event Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Zabbix: SCOM vs Zabbix

What is SCOM?
System Center Operations Manager provides infrastructure monitoring that is flexible and cost-effective, helps ensure the predictable performance and availability of vital applications, and offers comprehensive monitoring for your datacenter and cloud, both private and public.

SCOM is also known as System Center Operations Manager, SCOM 2012.

SCOM Buyer's Guide

Download the SCOM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

SCOM Customers
Dialog Telekom
SCOM Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

RD
IT Infrastructure Engineer at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Has all of the tools we need for managing Windows, but lags in support for Unix-based systems

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is to monitor our Windows Platform.

• "This solution satisfies all of the requirements that we need for our Windows-based systems, so if you are using the Windows platform then this is an easy solution."
  • "I would like to see better support for monitoring Unix-based systems."

What other advice do I have?

This solution satisfies all of the requirements that we need for our Windows-based systems, so if you are using the Windows platform then this is an easy solution. When it comes to managing Unix-based systems, however, you will need to do more research. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Head of IT South America at Compass Minerals
Reliable for network monitoring but it is not an easy product to use

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to monitor hardware and network devices.

• "This solution allows us to standardize all of the reports for monitoring the network, so it helps a lot for auditing purposes."
  • "I would like to see more standard libraries for the market solutions, out of the box, that you don't need to do a lot of work on."

What other advice do I have?

This product is both stable and reliable, but it is not easy to use and there are not a lot of experts on the market to provide help. You have to do a lot of it by yourself. I do recommend this product, but I would suggest that somebody who really knows the product is in place before implementation. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about SCOM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Operating Partner at Thoma Bravo LLC with 11-50 employees
It has good graphs of what is going on within the operating system

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor Linux systems. It has performed well.

• "It can send messages to our ticketing system."
  • "It has good graphs of what is going on within the operating system.​"
  • "We are able to do problem determination on runaway processes."
  • "​I would like to better be able to monitor Oracle processes.​"

What other advice do I have?

If you are using Linux, do not discount SCOM just because it is a Windows or Microsoft product. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Features * Price.
Senior System Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It’s complex and powerful giving the ability to monitor websites better

• "It works better than other products I’ve used – namely SolarWinds, which is cumbersome and error prone for web app monitoring. SCOM is not."
  • "Non Windows monitoring is fairly weak. Network device monitoring is not reliable."

What other advice do I have?

None really. Read a book or take a class on it. It’s complex and powerful.
IT Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
SCOM vs WhatsUp Gold

• "The product has helped our organization with in-depth monitoring."
  • "It could use some system enhancements, such as better dashboards."
Solution Architect at a cloud provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
.NET monitoring capabilities are crucial for our organization. I would like to see true multi-tenancy support.

What other advice do I have?

The planning phase is crucial. Also note that SCOM admin can not plan the whole infrastructure. All application owners should be involved in planning phase. Also, post-configuration tasks should be taken care of by application owners, such as custom monitors, tunings for alerts, etc.
Director at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
We see how IT teams are able to exert control and adapt quickly with it. Most of the time, a third-party tool is required for presentation.

What other advice do I have?

Thorough analysis of the current environment and the goals that need to be achieved should be defined (from an end-results point of view) before rolling out SCOM. If the groundwork is not properly done, SCOM implementation can cost the organization.
Chief of Monitoring Service at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Integrating it with our service desk software significantly improved the SLA of our IT services.
Windows Administrator at a government with 501-1,000 employees
I use the Detailed Dashboard list to monitor many websites and network devices.
IT analyst - NOC at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Ticket Automation has taken a considerable load from the NOC. Cross-platform support would make it an enterprise-wide monitoring solution.
Manager: Monitoring, Performance, and Availability at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows you to go from firefighting mode to a more proactive stance. SCOM agents have a heavy footprint.

What other advice do I have?

SCOM works well for Windows, but if you need a broader solution and have a heterogeneous environment, SCOM is lacking.
Senior Officer in IT management systems department with 501-1,000 employees
It improved vision of core problems of the IT environment for the technical support team, helped locate causes faster and consolidated monitoring functions in fewer hands.

What other advice do I have?

SCOM should be a good choice for fresh IT environments based on Windows servers or switching from open-source monitoring tools. By adding e.g. SCCM and SCOrch, you get a fast-to-deploy and easy-to-manage bundle of enterprise-class tools.
Senior IT Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
My customers use it because they can more easily integrate it with their current Microsoft IT infrastructure, and because the monitoring power of SCOM is enough for servers, services and some apps.

What other advice do I have?

Think about the cloud. Try to move everything (if it is possible) to the cloud. You will save a lot of money on monitoring themes because most of the cloud services include it, so you don’t have to worry about monitoring. (Azure is an example.) Microsoft is currently more valuable because this brand is wide used. Microsoft is also cheaper than Riverbed’s APM offering, but it is a matter of time because there are another brands conducting successful marketing / testing / training campaigns to replace Microsoft.
QA Engineer at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The agent is solid and reliable. It does not require post-deployment maintenance/restarts.

What other advice do I have?

Having been in IT for over 20 years, with Microsoft, you know what you are getting. I have not logged a single support case for this product, whereas with other, similar products, I would log cases every month. It’s extremely well-tested and you know what you are getting: quality.
SCOM Senior Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
I like the ability to create Management Packs to monitor different programs or devices.

What other advice do I have?

Get knowledgeable help, not someone off the street that says they know SCOM, but someone that can show a track record of working with it. You will save lots of time and money. It is so flexible and easy to learn if the right processes are put into place.
Programmer Analyst at a leisure / travel company with 10,001+ employees
​If you have a somewhat small environment then I would recommend to look for alternatives. If you are an existing Microsoft Enterprise CAL customer, SCOM is worth the evaluation.​

What other advice do I have?

SCOM truly demands it's own support team to manage and administer it (not to mention applying the monthly patches) and is designed for monitoring mid-to-large on-premise environments. If you have a somewhat small environment, or if you do not have the people resources to support a SCOM install then I would recommend to look for alternatives. However if you are an existing Microsoft Enterprise CAL customer SCOM is worth the evaluation.
Senior Technical Consultant at The Instillery
It integrates with your Windows environment seamlessly and provides a lot of visibility on your Windows environment.

What other advice do I have?

I find this product very clunky and not very intuitive to use, it took me a while to find my way around and understand where I needed to go to configure or even get a report is a bit complicated.
Advanced Systems Engineer - 3 at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
All our environments are automated to automatically install the SCOM agents across different domains. It needs improvement in phasing out the Silverlight based web platform.

What other advice do I have?

Implement a prototype management pack on the dev environment and analyze all the pros and cons before buying the product. You can get a free six months trial on this also.
IT Technical Support at a local government with 501-1,000 employees
Working with SCOM enables new hires or management trainees gain insight into the inner workings of the the business with emphasis on uptime.
Group IT Infrastructure Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have prevented various problems and have been able to resolve issues quickly with the informative detail raised in SCOM alerts.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure you have plenty of resources to throw at the environment, space for data warehouse and SQL as it will be resource hungry for SCOM (server estate size relevant of course). Be prepared for some initial time investment and ensure regular updates and management packs are applied to make the product as useful as possible.
IT Administrator & Major Incident Coordinator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The warnings and errors I receive such as low disk space warnings allow me to easily determine the impact it has on the server.

What other advice do I have?

In order to use all the features in SCOM, one must learn the tool from the inside out and then customize it so that it fits the paricular business. This way you know the foundations and are able to build a robust tool to monitor and control a large amount of servers and services across the world
Senior Production Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The reports provide high-level summaries and detailed information about your systems and can be e-mailed on a specified schedule or simply exported and printed out.

What other advice do I have?

Follow the best practices and there should be no issues.
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It is a monitoring tool that looks after the vast majority of your private and even public cloud.
System Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
It can be set up to alert when an issue occurs and it is often easy to link to a ticketing system so a ticket will be generated automatically when issues occur.
IT Infrastructure Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Once it was in place and tweaked, we were able to prioritize issues as they came up. I’d love to see a quick and simple way to enable common critical monitoring and alerts by default.

What other advice do I have?

SCOM is capable of providing full-featured infrastructure monitoring, alerting and reporting, especially for Windows-centric production environments. I have heard a lot of people say that to do SCOM right, you really should create a full-time position, or at least a full-time System Center admin who works only on System Center stuff. Because you’re only going to get out of it what you put into it. If you don’t put any time into it, it’s not going to work well for you.
SCOM Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The flexibility which Operations Manager (SCOM) gives to monitor anything in any way is the main valuable feature to me.

What other advice do I have?

I do like this product a lot and have followed its advances since the MOM2000 version and continue to do so toward the 2016 version and beyond. One thing to notice lately is there are more possibilities when combined with Microsofts OMS solution in a hybrid scenario to get even more value out of both products.
Senior Technical Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Deep integration with Windows provides in-depth monitoring and the management packs model ensures that products in the environment are supported or will be supported.

What other advice do I have?

SCOM can monitor a whole lot of products, not just generic server components. Make sure that you contact the product vendor and ask if they have Management Packs for SCOM.
BI Analyst at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
It can be implemented in an environment which hosts critical information.
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The Management Packs available provide monitoring of various Microsoft products such as Windows Server OS, Hyper-V, SCCM, SharePoint, Exchange, etc. It needs to provide more on Cloud, Big Data, etc.
Infrastructure Consultant, specialist SCCM, SCOM, VMware, Hyper-V at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
The fact that you can create you own MP to monitor customs apps, servers, networking connections, etc. is very valuable.

What other advice do I have?

So if you want to implement this software initial installation is easy. But a high level of understanding of your own business needs is required. You need clear process to setup MP.
NOC Senior Technical Shift Leader at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It monitors each node and advises you that a particular node is unreachable/down in a very short time.

What other advice do I have?

No comments so far. SCOM has a lot of potential and can give a helping hand in maintaining a healthy network.
Senior SCOM Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
It monitors systems and can have all of the alerts displayed in one single GUI.

What other advice do I have?

This is an excellent monitoring tool, especially for Windows servers, as the technology developers are usually the ones who build the management packs for SCOM. You must plan out your environment before implementing this product in large environments and build very beefy SQL servers one for the OperationsDB and the other for the OperationsDB Ware House. As this product is very SQL intense and any slowness is usually caused by the SQL servers trying to keep up with all the requests and updates from the product. Limit the number of admins that will administer this product, as too many cooks in…
Microsoft System Center Consultant with 10,001+ employees
Distributed Applications enables you to give developers and businesses insight into their IT infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

SCOM is a great monitoring tool if you have an enterprise level infrastructure that you need to monitor and manage, it's mainly designed for Windows but it does have cross-platform and network monitoring support something which Microsoft keeps expanding. It is technically easy to implement and maintain but it requires an initial time investment for tuning and customizations.
IT Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Distributed applications, application performance monitoring, dashboard view, network monitoring, auditing services are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

SCOM is a Microsoft solution designed primary to Monitor Microsoft servers and applications, capable of Monitoring Non-Microsoft OS and applications as well.
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Citrix management pack for SCOM
Yesterday a survey passed my attention regarding monitoring, Citrix requested input from partners and others regarding monitoring. I'm not that keen on filling in survey's for I have that feeling that the questions asked are not for me as a partner to answer. Question like "in what time frame will you implement a solution" are customer question and not one you ask a partner. Anyway, I think monitoring in general is the most under valued topic in IT so I decided to fill this one in. This time not about how to write on-premises but about a solution to be developed. Extend Edgesight functionality "What if Citrix were to provide an efficient way to monitor and troubleshoot your entire Citrix environment, surrounding infrastructure, and end user experience, using your existing…
Technical IT Manager at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Performance data on Windows VMs is a valuable feature but perfomance management needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

Performance data on Windows VMs Ability to have a lot of out of the box management packs with key monitors in place Ease of use

How has it helped my organization?

Ability to know when servers are offline through agent heartbeats.

What needs improvement?

Dashboarding and application performance management.

Three years.

No we did not.

Yes we did have some, but with Microsoft's assistance (RAS) we were able to gain more insight and improve.

No we did not.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical…
Principal ICT Architect with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Ensure you have processes and technical resources in place to address issues.

What other advice do I have?

Understand what is critical in your environment first and what needs to be monitored.
Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Microsoft Product monitoring is very valuable but monitoring non-Microsoft products has room for improvement

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Product monitoring and VMware monitoring using Veeam extension.

How has it helped my organization?

This product is really easy to use and has best monitoring capabilities when used to monitor Microsoft products.

What needs improvement?

Monitoring non Microsoft products and 3rd party applications.

From 2007 starting with SCOM 2007.

I have used Big Brother monitoring software before being acquired by Quest software.

The deployment of the server is really straightforward. You can follow step by step the installation wizard.

What about the

Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Valuable features include availability and dashboards but reports need to be improved
IT Administrator at a university with 501-1,000 employees
System Center Operations Manager 2012 SP1 Mini-test
I decided to do a mini-test of System Center Operations Manager 2012 SP1. We are already using Nagios for monitoring but it doesn’t hurt to look at the competitors Installation Normally I would test in a virtual environment, but this time I happened to have my trusty old bastard (Fujitsu Siemens Primergy RX200 S2) ready with a plain installation of Windows Server 2012 so I decided to use that one instead. Nothing special with the installation, just a plain installation of Windows Server 2012 as base and SCOM 2012 SP1 on top of that. I then joined the server to the domain as this is a requirement. After that I started the installation of Operations Manager. The installation program itself has a prerequisite check so every component will be…
Infrastructure Expert at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Good for Microsoft-centric environments.

Valuable Features:

Does a great job with Microsoft technologies. Decent with other technologies (Unix/Java).

Room for Improvement:

Very expensive now that you are forced to buy entire System Center suite, although comparable to other monitoring solutions that include basic APM. Dashboards are pretty weak.
Manager of Operations at a outsourcing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Expensive, but delivers what we need

What other advice do I have?

The good reporting capabilities was one of the major functions which made us choose SCOM as the tool for handling MS application operations (only used for that, not the OS platforms).
Download our free SCOM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.