Skype for Business Overview

Skype for Business is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Virtual Meetings tools. It is most often compared to Webex: Skype for Business vs Webex

What is Skype for Business?
Skype for Business offers features including presence, IM, voice and video calls, online meetings, conferencing, and telephony solutions that support enterprise-level collaboration requirements. Skype for Business Record meetings, share your screen, and annotate PowerPoint for real-time collaboration with up to 250 people and use whiteboard, polls, Q&A, and built-in IM during your business meetings to make them more productive. Skype for Business provides new client experience, Skype for Business Server provides several new features to improve manageability of on-premises servers and hybrid solutions. Skype for Business also supports the Lync client experience so that you can choose a phased upgrade approach to the new client experience for users. Skype for Business is also an integral part of Microsoft Office 365, providing PSTN Conferencing, Cloud PBX, PSTN Calling, and Skype Meeting Broadcast capabilities to Office 365 users.

Skype for Business is also known as Skype for Business Plan 1, Skype for Business Plan 2, Lync Server.

Skype for Business Buyer's Guide

Download the Skype for Business Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Skype for Business Customers

EmpireCLS Worldwide Chauffeured Services,LA Fitness, MedcoEnergi International, Tampa General Hospital, and HopewellHoldings Limited.

Skype for Business Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Skype for Business pricing:
  • "The cost of Skype for Business is incorporated into our Office 365 licenses."

MF
Owner and Senior Technical Architect at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Much easier and quicker than writing an email to someone and waiting for them to read it

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for chat and we use it for internal meetings. We also have a federation between a couple of companies, so we also use it for virtual meetings across those companies that we have the federation with. It is our preferred chat and video solution nowadays. My last customer used it and Polycom, but Polycom was historic because of the meeting rooms. And the meeting rooms tended to be set up for Polycom, so if you were doing meetings from one meeting room to another one, then we'd switch to Polycom. Otherwise, it was Skype For Business.

• "The simplicity and ease of use are the most valuable features. It's so much easier and quicker than writing an email to someone and waiting for them to read it."
  • "The ease of configuration or the lack of decent tooling to pinpoint your problems is probably its biggest issue."

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend the product. If you are in a complex distributed environment, with offices with varying levels of connection and various different bandwidths of connections and latency, that it's worth spending the extra money to get someone who really knows their stuff with respect to unified communications to set up Skype For Business across their organization. Someone that understands the pitfalls, because how your infrastructure is built is key to whether you're going to get a decent and stable experience or not. I would rate it a nine out of ten. I would give it this rating purely…
SD
Developer at a photography company with 1-10 employees
Easy video conferencing with a simple setup and capable of saving conversations

What is our primary use case?

Recently, we all went remote, so we needed a way to implement virtual meetings on a large scale and we utilize Skype for Business for these purposes. It might have a lot to do with the response to COVID and getting more people connected for remote access.

• "I like the fact that it opens up your video conferencing, and, in many cases, the audio at the same time."
  • "The integration with Outlook could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. I'd advise other organizations that the implementation is pretty smooth as far as installations go, so they shouldn't be afraid to give it a try. Using it is very straightforward, and it just sits on your desktop as an icon, so it's easy to access when you need it. Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Skype for Business. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VijayKumar4
AVP - Cyber Secuirty at Cloud4C Services
MSP
Easy to use, great for remote meetings, and has lots of collaboration potential

• "Making calls and having meetings is easy."
  • "The solution isn't connected to Microsoft Teams, and I feel like there is better communication on that particular solution. The group capabilities are a bit less than Teams."

What other advice do I have?

With work from home situations increasing, and a company would benefit from using this solution. The collaboration capabilities are great and allow for real-time interactions within teams. It's perfect for remote work. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
WH
Owner at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Great for remote meetings, very stable, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our business meetings.

• "There are free versions of the solution available."
  • "It would be ideal if the solution could make instant messages more permanent. Currently, if you close the conversation, you lose the instant messages that you shared during the meeting. If those could last beyond the meeting, that would be a great addition, due to the fact that frequently, people give each other key details, important information, or email addresses, etc., during the meeting. If you don't write it down during the meeting, after the meeting closes, it's gone forever. That can be quite frustrating."

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a user of the product. I'm not a reseller or an integrator. I use Skype for Business every day. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's been great so far.
Marc Spicer
Director Of Technology at UNCF
Helpful chat facility and good for internal communications, but call quality and reliability need to improve

What is our primary use case?

We use Skype for hosting meetings that are internal to the organization.

• "I use the chat feature to communicate with my staff, which is very helpful."
  • "Going forward, I would like to see better call quality and reliability."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Akash Mukherjee
Manager Global Business Development at Trigent Software Ltd
Calling features and screen sharing are good features; sound quality and clarity need improvement

What is our primary use case?

Skype is mainly used for our internal meetings. We have it set up for all the different groups in the company, whether it's my IFC, the marketing team, pre-sales team, senior leadership, etc. We're using the product at least once a day and everybody in the company uses it. We're customers of Skype and I'm the manager of global business development.

• "The calling features are most valuable, especially now as we are working remotely."
  • "There are issues with the bandwidth, particularly for external meetings,"

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of 10.
RS
Manager, Quality and Process Excellence at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A stable solution with good support for working from home

What is our primary use case?

We use Skype for all of our video conference purposes.

• "The most valuable feature is stability."
  • "We have had trouble with scalability when trying to host large meetings."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
VijayKumar4
AVP - Cyber Secuirty at Cloud4C Services
MSP
Enables our teams to have real-time collaboration

• "It has benefited my organization because I can use it on the phone, I can use it on a laptop, wherever I want. The communication channel is very easy now and I can call and chat. It's experienced. Together, my team manages everything. It's very easy."
  • "We have found that there is a lag because it cannot integrate with the internal landline."

What other advice do I have?

People are working from home and this collaboration is efficient and we see real-time collaboration happening from the teams. This is a very good solution for work from home concepts. In the next release, I would like to see the ability to do group calling. I would rate Sype for Business a nine out of ten.
See 1 more Skype for Business Reviews