Appian Review

Defines activity ownership, streamlining productivity; we can also see process bottlenecks

What is our primary use case?

We use for this solution for organizing and distribution for supermarkets, for coordinating the disposition of expired goods in the supermarket.

It is also used internally, to structure the budget; also for task scheduling and tracking.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the organization by defining activity ownership. When we give ownership to the right user, processes go very fast. Before it wasn't very good. It was slow. Now, with this application, you can see the bottlenecks, where the business processes is slow. There is a lot of information from it.

What is most valuable?

• I think the interface is a good feature because it's simple to use and you can quickly develop the users' interface.
  • The Application Designer is also very user friendly.
  • There are a lot of plug-ins that you can use and, for the most part, they are free.

What needs improvement?

Something they need to improve is, it is difficult to catch errors. When there's an administration error you can't catch the error, and it is there until the administrator addresses it. This is a problem because if you are the developer, you try to catch the error but you can't. The process will stop. There is a workaround but it would be pretty cool of you could catch the error before.

Another limit is the reporting. The reporting is not as good as in similar products. They need to improve on that side.

They could also improve the dashboards.

No issues with stability.

We haven't encountered any issues because we use small processes. We have not had any problem with the amount of work or data it can handle.

Their technical support is good. There is a community which will, for the most part, answer problems. But if you have a big problem and you need support from Appian, they are a little slow, but they are good; they provide good answers.

We didn't have previous solution.

No it was not complicated. It was simple.

It's good value for the price.

I only saw demos of Pegasystems and IBM. We selected between Pega, IBM, and Appian. Appian was cheaper than the others when we saw these three solutions. As of now, I don't know about the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to use the product in the correct way and don't ask the product to make up for experience in BPM.

More Appian reviews from users
...who compared it with Pega BPM
Learn what your peers think about Appian. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.